Can we get a new Behemoth?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Can we get a new Behemoth?

Post by JazHaz »

I'd like to see a Griff style Behemoth. Perhaps a new texture for the current Behemoth OXP?

Also I'd like to have the option (with the necessary licence) to be able to make a player flyable one, for an OXP project I'm thinking about.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Can we get a new Behemoth?

Post by JazHaz »

JazHaz wrote:
I'd like to see a Griff style Behemoth. Perhaps a new texture for the current Behemoth OXP?

Also I'd like to have the option (with the necessary licence) to be able to make a player flyable one, for an OXP project I'm thinking about.
For my OXP project I would need a player flyable one, plus an identical NPC one, using the same texture & normal map etc. I know that I am not a modeller, and just cannot get my head around quaternions for programming external views etc.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

JazHaz wrote:
Agreed! I would like to see a new, larger styles of ships with shaders and new textures in the ooniverse as well, and a new Behemoth would be an excellent addition! 8)
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I have made some reskins of the ADCK Behemoths. A few of them are released already. They are in the ADCK Behemoths pack( see the Lave and TIanve class Behemoths). This one is another reskin but on my HD only. But I assume that you mean that the Behemoth also gets remodeled again by Griff?
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

pagroove wrote:
I have made some reskins of the ADCK Behemoths. A few of them are released already. They are in the ADCK Behemoths pack( see the Lave and TIanve class Behemoths). This one is another reskin but on my HD only. But I assume that you mean that the Behemoth also gets remodeled again by Griff?
Haven't seen those, but I think the ADCK Behemoths isn't compatible with GalNavy AFAIK. As I use the latter I got rid of that OXP a couple of years ago.

Yeah, the wiki states:
This OXP is currently broken, i.e. it does not work with the current release of Oolite. Reason: not specified.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Well at my computer it works. Also with GalNavy. But even if you don' t use the OXP you can look into the texture dir of the oxp and there you finde the Behemoth Lave and Tianve classes. If you want to use them (whole or parts of it) feel free. You have my permission. :D

Here's one 'without shaders'

Here's a picture of the Behemoth 'Lave' Class

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

:shock: Wow! I haven't seen these before, I will download now!
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Because the ADCK's Behemoth.oxp is currently not advisable to use I've sent ADCK a pm if he can fix it. Hope he replies. Otherwise I can zip the textures for anyone who want this Behemoth replacement skin.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I'm hoping that one of the ship building experts on here can take on the project to make a player flyable version of the Behemoth for me, as I know 101% that I can't do it! :D
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

JazHaz wrote:
I'm hoping that one of the ship building experts on here can take on the project to make a player flyable version of the Behemoth for me, as I know 101% that I can't do it! :D
Or you can do it yourself. It's basically as simple as creating a new entry in shipdata, named "behemoth-player", where the ship has only the role of "player", and the keys relevant for player ships are defined. You can find out which keys are relevant by comparing to Oolite's internal shipdata.plist, which contains a number of player ships. :wink: And about 80% of the keys are identical to the NPC versions anyway.

Then you need to create a shipyard.plist with an entry for "behemoth-player". Again, comparing to (and probably most easily c&p'ing) any entry from Oolite's internal shipyard.plist will easily get you all the relevant bits. Then you only need to tweak what you want to tweak, and there you are. :)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Commander McLane wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Or you can do it yourself. It's basically as simple as creating a new entry in shipdata,
I've underlined the section in my quote. It's not as simple as creating a new entry in shipdata, its the views too, internal and external. I know I'll never understand quaternions, and as for producing a new texture, I know I've not got the artistic talent.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I will send you some textures. If you like one from the pics. Let me know.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

JazHaz wrote:
There's also a wee little problem of launching a Behemoth ship from a station...considering it's too large to fit through the normal docking bay openings.

It could probably be launched from a Superhub station though, so one could be given to the player there...
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

pagroove wrote:
I will send you some textures. If you like one from the pics. Let me know.
Yes the first one.
Switeck wrote:
There's also a wee little problem of launching a Behemoth ship from a station...considering it's too large to fit through the normal docking bay openings.

It could probably be launched from a Superhub station though, so one could be given to the player there...
I'm working on an OXP that gets around that problem. Not going to say any more in case it doesn't work out! :roll:
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Switeck wrote:
Technically speaking, launching isn't the problem.. Oolite ignores size problems for the player on launch. Now docking.. that's a different matter. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied