[BETA] Flyable Thargoid Warship

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [BETA] Flyable Thargoid Warship

Post by Pleb »

Lestradae wrote:
A system taken over by thargoids and the player is the last ditch attempt of a single ship slipping in and destroying their thargoidified main station, bringing them down single-handedly in the process? :twisted:
:shock:

Umm...wow! That actually sounds awesome! Okay well watch this space and I will see what I can come up with. Of course, to do it justice, I will have to pull out all the stops on this one... :twisted:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Lestradae wrote:
Pleb wrote:
... I will have a think about what kind of mission the ship could be dependant on...
A system taken over by thargoids and the player is the last ditch attempt of a single ship slipping in and destroying their thargoidified main station, bringing them down single-handedly in the process? :twisted:
Sounds a bit like the plot of "Rise of the Kirin". 8)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

That Thargoid-occupied main station mission is more or less straight out of Elite Plus (and other Elite versions, I think).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

El Viejo wrote:
That Thargoid-occupied main station mission is more or less straight out of Elite Plus (and other Elite versions, I think).
The Thargoid Invasion mission I believe? I think that this mission, the Stolen Police Ship and the Asteroid Bombardment missions are the only ones not in Oolite, although I'm pretty sure all three missions were added to Elite Plus and were not in any other versions.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Pleb wrote:
The Thargoid Invasion mission I believe? I think that this mission, the Stolen Police Ship and the Asteroid Bombardment missions are the only ones not in Oolite, although I'm pretty sure all three missions were added to Elite Plus and were not in any other versions.
This would be because Bell & Braben gave developers of non-BBC versions of Elite the freedom to make their own missions.
Pleb wrote:
...the Asteroid Bombardment missions are the only ones not in Oolite...
This mission was probably the inspiration for the [EliteWiki] Asteroid Storm OXP.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

JazHaz wrote:
This mission was probably the inspiration for the [EliteWiki] Asteroid Storm OXP.
I assumed as much myself! :D Also I'm assuming the Stolen Police Ship mission has never been made for Oolite as firstly its not an original mission (which is why its not a core/stock mission) and secondly because it seems very similar to the Constrictor mission. But I suppose someone could always write it! 8)

Of course personally I feel maybe recreating the Thargoid Invasion mission as a prerequisite for the Thargoid Warship might be an idea. I don't think the player should just get given it though (using the new scripting commands), perhaps it should just mean that the player is able to purchase captured Thargoid vessels from certain shipyards (like techlevel 15 systems)? Otherwise you might lose a ship you didn't want to lose! :cry:

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Lestradae wrote:
Pleb wrote:
... I will have a think about what kind of mission the ship could be dependant on...
That's pretty much one of the things you get to do in the Xeptatl's Sword mission. :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Smivs wrote:
That's pretty much one of the things you get to do in the Xeptatl's Sword mission. :D
I knew I'd seen something else along those lines before, an excellent OXP indeed! :mrgreen:

I'm now close to re-releasing this OXP with the Thargoid Invasion mission as a prerequisite for buying the Thargoid Warship. The fallout from this mission will be that after the Thargoids are evicted from the system and their invasion halted, a lot of left over Thargoid ships get salvaged and start appearing on the black market at Anarchy systems (very infrequently). There will now no longer be a penalty for flying these vessels but I think I'll leave the price as it is. I've also improved the viewing positions so that it feels more like the other ships in the game.