A question from the Spacesimcentral forums

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

A question from the Spacesimcentral forums

Post by pagroove »

Straker asked:

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:33 PM
Can oolite use multiple monitors?

I promised to ask the question here. I myself cannot answer that because I have a single monitor.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Re: A question from the Spacesimcentral forums

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

In Windowed Mode, yes. But full screen, no. Least not that I have been able to trigger.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I'd depend on what precisely you wanted to do. You can't display different views across multiple monitors (as the game only has one basic window to run in), but you can stretch one window across multiple monitors or put the main window in one and the debug console in another.

But a stretched window looks odd, and as Cheyd says full screen mode is single-monitor only.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Somewhere on the BB recently there was a discussion about changing the view angle to as much as 180º, for use in a multiple monitor setup. Tried searching but can't find it.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

JazHaz wrote:
... changing the view angle to as much as 180º, for use in a multiple monitor setup. Tried searching but can't find it.
That was more to do with a curved screen rather than multiple monitors, I think.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

JazHaz wrote:
Tried searching but can't find it.
try searching for "180" instead of "180°" and you'll find it as first result. :P

(Probably second result after I posted this one :mrgreen: )
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Oolite works fine under a Matrox TH2G on 3x 1280x1024 monitors (3840x1024) as this is rendered as a single screen - but it's very "letterbox" by that point.

http://s292.beta.photobucket.com/user/D ... 2.jpg.html
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Oolite works fine under a Matrox TH2G
Nice.. but at AU$200+ for the dual-head unit, and AU$400+ for the triple-head, ouch! :shock:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ok. I'm officially gobsmacked. :shock:

I finally got around to setting up a second monitor on my desktop Linux Mint machine. The graphics card is an nvidia GeForce 6200, with a standard VGA connector, and a DVI connector. I've hooked an adapter on the DVI output so I can connect a standard monitor to it.

I did a bit of playing about with the settings, giving myself a 2560x1024 desktop, and downloaded some dual-monitor wallpapers.

The setup:

Next I fired up trunk. I didn't really pay attention to the far-left-of-R/H-monitor positioning of the small opening window, but was a bit nonplussed when the game opened centred across the monitors, with a big black space either side. Was I going to have to sort this out before I could play?

The first clue that something really weird was going on, though, was when I went to select a game-save.. the ships were displaying much larger than usual, extending outside the BGS frame.

Having the game menus split across the screens was kinda weird.. but when I launched.. oh wow.

There was none of the stretching that Thargoid mentioned, or any distortion.. just a beautiful fullscreen 2560x1024 display. And I didn't even need to buy a Matrox TH2G! Having the sights split perfectly down the middle is a little disconcerting, and takes some getting used to, to be sure. But I'm beginning to get used to it, and the monitor-frame gap between the displays. A pair of identical monitors would be helpful, though, and of course, 3 monitors would be ideal.. :twisted: :lol:

Now I just need to reorganise my desk to get better positioning of everything!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied