Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Re: Elite: Dangerous - and the return

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous - Kickstarter!

Post by Selezen »

I set up a social networking thing on my website with a play by mail thing in mind, actually. A bit like setting up a group on facebook and posting game updates to it, but without all that other crap that makes facebook so annoying. If you are interested in trying it then let me know.

I won't be around much for the next couple of days (gone to funeral), but if you register on daftworks.co.uk/village you can have a look around. I'll need to move you to the member group after you register before you can post anything (anti spam measure).

:-)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Not sure if everyone is aware, but there is a discussion forum for E:D on the Frontier Developments forum, here.

I've also noticed that the Oolite BBS is very quiet atm. Is everyone beering it up or something?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Well I see that the equivalent of Your Ad Here has made the concept sketches. I've pledged long ago, even though I'm not 100% sure my Mac can take it, but I figure this is a game that has to be made!
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Ramirez wrote:
even though I'm not 100% sure my Mac can take it
Just for the record it currently looks unlikely that there will be a mac version in the short term. It currently look like the target will only just be made, and the stretch goal of a mac version is fairly far off. Quite what that means for the mac version isnt clear, but it wont be a priority.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

JazHaz wrote:
I've also noticed that the Oolite BBS is very quiet atm.
That's a sign of contented players, with no OXP or Oolite problems to report - I hope!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Ramirez wrote:
Well I see that the equivalent of Your Ad Here has made the concept sketches. I've pledged long ago, even though I'm not 100% sure my Mac can take it, but I figure this is a game that has to be made!
If you have an Intel Mac I believe you can join the dark side and install Windows on another partition. :twisted: So even if there isn't a Mac version of E:D you could still play... However even if they don't make the stretch goal, I'm sure there will be a Mac version eventually....
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Cmdr James wrote:
Ramirez wrote:
even though I'm not 100% sure my Mac can take it
Just for the record it currently looks unlikely that there will be a mac version in the short term. It currently look like the target will only just be made, and the stretch goal of a mac version is fairly far off. Quite what that means for the mac version isnt clear, but it wont be a priority.
David commented on the Reddit "ask a question" thingy that the stretch goal would set a release date for a Mac version, but that they would get around to it and other platforms later on even if that stretch goal isn't reached.

His words:
That is a really tricky one. We held off offering it as a stretch goal for a while, but I understand your concern. One of the things that tipped us towards offering it is that in the meantime most Mac users could dual-boot their machines.

We intend to support Macintosh with time, but the stretch goal gives a timetable for it, so even if we miss the stretch goal, I would like to do it. Same applies for other platforms too.

If we offer Macintosh on day one, we then have to bring both platforms to release at the same time, which creates a bit of a log-jam.

I know it is not ideal, but it is not a bad solution (in my opinion).
Permalink: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1 ... of/c7ocgju
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

JazHaz wrote:
I've also noticed that the Oolite BBS is very quiet atm. Is everyone beering it up or something?
Well it's a busy time of year for many of us with families. As for quiet, you should see the chatroom - you can hear a pin drop in there! Totally off-topic for this thread (sorry!), but DS's is still open and some of us old regulars are still hanging out there, so come visit!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Selezen wrote:
Well, I have pitched the RPG idea to Michael through the Kickstarter site. I have pitched it as a similar idea to the writer's pledge but outside the kickstarter. Michael has graciously offered to discuss it after the kickstarter drive has finished, and I am confident it's a genuine offer.
Better move with this rather quickly after the Kickstarter - there was just talk about and Elite RPG on the Comments section today, so other people may have similar ideas.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Wolfwood wrote:
David commented on the Reddit "ask a question" thingy that the stretch goal would set a release date for a Mac version, but that they would get around to it and other platforms later on even if that stretch goal isn't reached.

His words:
That is a really tricky one. We held off offering it as a stretch goal for a while, but I understand your concern. One of the things that tipped us towards offering it is that in the meantime most Mac users could dual-boot their machines.

We intend to support Macintosh with time, but the stretch goal gives a timetable for it, so even if we miss the stretch goal, I would like to do it. Same applies for other platforms too.

If we offer Macintosh on day one, we then have to bring both platforms to release at the same time, which creates a bit of a log-jam.

I know it is not ideal, but it is not a bad solution (in my opinion).
Permalink: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1 ... of/c7ocgju
I should have said, I've got an XP dual boot on my mac for heavy duty gaming anyway so unless I have to get hold of Windows 8 or really ramp up the graphics processing power I'll be content with a PC version. Not trying to do both platforms at once is perfectly sensible.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
Cody

Post by Cody »

Is that more writer's packs available? 12 (out of 14) takers now!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

They had to add more writer's packs when they started getting taken while kickstarters to make books were still running. I suspect a few of them are taken by hoaxers who will pull the pledges at the last moment. Cannot think of any other reason why they have not identified themselves...
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Wolfwood wrote:
They had to add more writer's packs when they started getting taken while kickstarters to make books were still running. I suspect a few of them are taken by hoaxers who will pull the pledges at the last moment. Cannot think of any other reason why they have not identified themselves...
If I have counted correctly, there is a potential for two false writer's pack pledges. Hope that is not the case...
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

The E : D KS comments has gone mad, too fast to follow now. Looks like we're going to get a new Elite. Guessing the total may even be hit today at current progress... and that's before an update.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

The Elite comments section has always been a bit mad. :P

Am pretty excited that this will at the very least get made. I'm not sure I could handle the heartbreak of this KS failing.
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor