Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Re: Elite: Dangerous - and the return

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous - Kickstarter!

Post by Selezen »

They're going to make the 1.25m. big news is that the £1,000,000 has just been broken.

I've just asked if it's appropriate to write an RPG system based on ED. I'm contemplating starting a kickstarter to do it. Is this a good idea??
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Sounds like a great idea to me Selezen.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Like table top?

I REALLY wish they had waited a few months with the kickstarter. I had to lower my pledge, because I just don't have any cash this month or next. It REALLY hurt. If they would have started it in say.. Feb. I could have easily upped my pledge by a 100 or so.
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

OneoftheLost wrote:
Like table top?
Yeah. Dungeons and Dragons style.

I think it's an interesting idea since Elite was partially inspired by the Traveller RPG.

It might be a good way to expand and formalise the ideas that went into the Station Run game...

I'm currently exchanging emails with Michael at FD. I have left myself one serious hurdle - time. :-(

It'll all hinge on how long KS take to approve the drive and how long it takes me to structure the campaign. Any hints (via PM) would be greatly received if FD give the go-ahead.
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

My only advice would be to keep it simple. Check Savage Worlds' for a simple and easy to get into tabletop system. The D20 system that DnD/Shadowrun/etc.etc. favors wouldn't be a good choice for an Elite style game imho (battles would take forever.) I would be excited about it, but you are right, I don't think you can pull it off in 8 days. Especially when some of the novels are having trouble and they have been up twice as long. :P

Do let us know if it gets approved tho!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I hear you. All very good points.

I need to see what Michael at FD says initially as he has some concerns regarding how the project would fit into the fiction guidelines for the pledge. Still waiting for a response, but not sure if I'll get one by tonight.

I'm just trying to put together a nice project logo while I wait.

Can I write a simple RPG system by March 2014? Definitely. It would probably be D6 based as that's the kind of dice everyone can access. I was tempted to make it D12 based (since a D12 is a dodecahedron and having a kind of space station as the random number generator is just too cool not to contemplate) but I'm not convinced it would work as well.

As I said, I'm about 30% confident it will go ahead at the moment. I wish I could be more confident about it.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Darn. Just hit a snag. Funds take 14 days to clear and there's no way I can raise £5000 to make the pledge in lieu of the funds.

Some rethinking is going on...
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Savage Worlds is a D6 based system that I personally love. Alot of good things going for it, but that is for another thread.

Sorry to hear that! I didn't know. KS is a bit complicated for what it is. I wish they did things differently. (I.e. the ability to CHANGE pledge levels, the ability to extend the overall kickstarter) Its just not as flexible as it could be. I mean its crowd funding for goodness sakes. It makes no sense to be as rigid as they are.

I will say that I'm digging all of this Elite concept art. We've seen more concept art for Dangerous then the entire series combined. Some great shots that really get me into the universe that Mr. Braben is imagining.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Personally, having written an RPG once _very very_ long time ago, I'd have to say that you can definitely write something up rather quickly, but play-testing and balancing the system will take a lot of time.

It would perhaps be a good idea to copy the basic system from some open source RPG and then adjust it for the Elite genre - that would make it a lot faster.

Also, I prefer D10 or D100 systems. ;)
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Well, I have pitched the RPG idea to Michael through the Kickstarter site. I have pitched it as a similar idea to the writer's pledge but outside the kickstarter. Michael has graciously offered to discuss it after the kickstarter drive has finished, and I am confident it's a genuine offer. So that's pretty damned exciting and I have my fingers crossed so tightly that the ends have gone blue.

I don't want to recycle a particular system of base my "product" on a particular existing set of rules, but my sci-fi roleplaying teeth were cut on the old FASA Star Trek RPG and its attending table top battle system. I want to capture the simplicity and fun of the FASA system. It's also the reason I love hexagons. :-)

I so want to base it on 6-sided dice, though, as these are readily available anywhere and are darned easy to make out of cardboard if you need to. It also means that a hex-based gaming system could be attached and would be compatible with the dice (for example for rolling for a direction your ship is going to move is easy with a 6-sided dice).

I also have a load of theories and concepts that were tried out with the original Elite RPG I developed at University (and always meant to put online at some stage) - the system will be different due to being based on Elite: Dangerous and not original Elite. I am hoping, though, that it can be flexible enough to allow roleplaying in any "era" of the FEU.

Here's hoping that (1) Frontier Developments allow me to go ahead with the campaign and (2) the generosity of the world at large will help me fund the project.

:D
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

I promise to back your RPG even though I don't play them these days - I enjoy reading the rulebooks occasionally, though.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

That's awesome and very generous of you, thanks.

I don't get to play very much myself these days to be honest. No one in my area plays much and all if the old groups i was in have scattered to the four corners of the country.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Yup, my groups have likewise scattered and since I have a family nowadays, free time is not something that I have a lot of to begin with.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Speaking of time to play, If you somehow could include a "play by mail" mode, it would allow us to have a game going over the internet with like minded people. Would also be easier to fit into the little time we have available.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
AkTanatha
Above Average
Above Average

Post by AkTanatha »

Table top RPG :?:
If you somehow could include a "play by mail" mode
How about "play-by-phone" - nudging you towards my Windows 8 smartphone ;)