Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Moar trunk stuffffff (or drunk?)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Moar trunk stuffffff (or drunk?)

Post by Diziet Sma »

:shock:
Impressive! I had no idea something like that was even possible.

Congratulations to all concerned! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

El Viejo wrote:
Question: why the 'H' on the landing-pad? <chuckles>
Helicopter Landing Zone .-) As the shuttle is landing like a Helicopter I thought that it would be ok to use a symbol players are familiar with from RL. I guess we don't know much about the planetary ongoings.</handwavium>
El Viejo wrote:
I see what you mean about the new BGS icons - cool, but not quite sharp.
The blurry appearance is expected, Oolite will scale them to match the height of the screen resolution (see https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=714).

What I meant is that the icons are not perfectly matching the info they are representing. Cleaner symbols (like Tokus*Maximus') would do a better job, I'd think. But 32px x 32px makes it really difficult to find a good representation of their meaning, specially for the double key combinations (F3/F3,F5/F5,F6/F6). E.g. some stations have no Shipyard and the icon should still work for both situations. I've tried to create some cleaner ones, but failed miserably.
Diziet Sma wrote:
(The readme for the new version of BGS needs updating to include a mention of the joystick throttle jitter fix via OXPConfig)
Thanks Dizzy. I think I'll remove the quick overview from the readme alltogether and update the [wiki]BGS_Doc[/wiki]. Reduces my work when updating and the info is available immediately .-)
AkTanatha wrote:
Some questions, what gives you the system info as you emerge from Hyperspace?
If you mean the coloring for the shader - BGS uses a Visual Effect + shader with some uniform bindings. The vec4 ovSpecials (bgs_hyper.fragment) is bound to a property .shaderVector2 of the VisualEffect. The property can be changed by a script. The script uses .bgsHyperControl to prepare and pass the correct settings. When .playerStartedJumpCountdown is called by Oolite it stores the type of the jump (standard or galactic) and when .shipWillExitWitchspace is called it spawns the effect and sets the values for interstellar/normal space and passes both settings to the shader (.bgsHyperControl -> .shaderVector2 -> ovSpecials).
AkTanatha wrote:
Also, has it ever been considered to improve the entering / leaving space station sequence, or has it been done already?
Thargoid wrote:
Grab the trunk beta of Aquatics, go visit the Aquarian HQ in Aqualina (G3) and tell me what you think of the trip ;)
Yes, it's a really nice one .-)

For BGS the situation is a bit different. The short sequence (2.5 seconds) should be generally working on all station types and you can't use the current playership. BGS would do it only for main stations by default to avoid clashes with other OXPs station sequences and it should be relative simple (e.g. no subentity heavy thing to reduce the setup time/costs,etc.). But it still has to be visually interesting, but not overloaded, because the player would see it really often. The scripting is not so difficult, but you need a clear vision how it should look like - and this is the showstopper atm.
AkTanatha
Above Average
Above Average

Post by AkTanatha »

Thank you Diziet ;)

just a quick story...how times have changed...I was telling my 12 year old nephew about the horrors of 8 bit computing, and the joys of docking on a Spectrum. Nonchalantly, he said, give me a go...so off he went and installed Oolite on his laptop. I gave him a quick rundown on buying/selling ... and a quick sermon on the perils of docking....he did it first time. I was sickened! :D
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Diziet Sma wrote:
:shock:
Impressive! I had no idea something like that was even possible.

Congratulations to all concerned! 8)
Up until fairly recently it wasn't. But Cim did some wonderful things in the trunk code, then Svengali used it for an example that he shared with me for Planetfall. And as often happens in these cases, I got somewhat inspired and went a bit further with it...

It's actually fairly simple (the whole sequence is just a visual effect which encloses the ship and is moved to simulate the ship moving), with the doors being a separate pair of effects which move relative to the ships forward motion and also outward horizontally to simulate opening.
zdoofop
Average
Average

Post by zdoofop »

I know i posted this already in the bgs official thread, but just to be sure this gets noticed, I'll post it here again.
zdoofop wrote:
Having a bit of trouble with the oxp.

After installing several alternative voices, I found that they somehow broke compatibility with your tunnel shader effect
After days of scouring through code and documentation, I think I found the problem-the provided vochal countdown is somehow tightly linked to the effect-any attempt to modify it will somehow result in bgHyperFX being set to false and the effect removed from view. I have scoured both your code and the code for the other vocal countdown effect, but I cannot find a way to sever this link for my own personal use. I even tried moving the audio files and renaming them so it looked to the code as if nothing had been touched-no success. I am completely lost. Any ideas?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Thanks zdoofop. This is expected and mentioned in the initial post about the trunk version.

I've truncated some compatibility code in v1.6 as it was not used in any other OXP. The new patches are ready, but I wanted to test them a bit more before uploading (except the patch for Captain Berf Pilot as it is Cornys OXP and released under non-derivative if I recall it right. I'll send him the new one.)

PS: Answered here, because I'm assuming you are using the trunk version.

...and welcome onboard .-)
zdoofop
Average
Average

Post by zdoofop »

Svengali wrote:
Thanks zdoofop. This is expected and mentioned in the initial post about the trunk version.

I've truncated some compatibility code in v1.6 as it was not used in any other OXP. The new patches are ready, but I wanted to test them a bit more before uploading (except the patch for Captain Berf Pilot as it is Cornys OXP and released under non-derivative if I recall it right. I'll send him the new one.)

PS: Answered here, because I'm assuming you are using the trunk version.

...and welcome onboard .-)
sry my bad.

I'm actually using the stable version. I must have been half-asleep to not notice that this was for betas.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Ah, ok. Then let's dive in .-)

BGS checks the customsounds.plist keys '[galactic-hyperspace-countdown-begun]' and '[hyperspace-countdown-begun]'. If they are set to any other value than 'bgs-m_silence.ogg' .bgsDisableJump becomes true. The available patches for Captain Berf Pilot, Customsounds, Halsis and Hawksound are simply changing the customsounds.plist keys to the expected value and are passing the countdown as single files to BGS. In case the patches are not installed or another sound-OXP sets the keys:

In BGS 1.5.x:
The countdown + jump sequence are not started. They are coupled because the effect is spawned as standard entity a few seconds before the actual jump happens. The handling happens in the countdown timer function. To decouple the countdown from the effect you'll need to:
- change the check for .bgsDisableJump in .playerStartedJumpCountdown

Code: Select all

if(duration<1 || (this.bgsDisableJump && !this.bgsHyperFX)) return;
- enclose the if(!this.bgsCountOnly... else... in .doBGSWPTimer in a check for .bgsDisableJump

if(!this.bgsDisableJump){
    if(!this.bgsCountOnly && this.bgsCounter.wp>13){...
    } else {...
    }
}
In BGS 1.6:
Only the countdown is not started. The settings are decoupled, because Oolite v1.77 has a new VisualEffect class and the spawning of the effect happens on .shipWillExitWitchspace.

I'll add the mentioned changes in the next update (1.5.2).
zdoofop
Average
Average

Post by zdoofop »

Svengali wrote:
Ah, ok. Then let's dive in .-)

BGS checks the customsounds.plist keys '[galactic-hyperspace-countdown-begun]' and '[hyperspace-countdown-begun]'. If they are set to any other value than 'bgs-m_silence.ogg' .bgsDisableJump becomes true. The available patches for Captain Berf Pilot, Customsounds, Halsis and Hawksound are simply changing the customsounds.plist keys to the expected value and are passing the countdown as single files to BGS. In case the patches are not installed or another sound-OXP sets the keys:

In BGS 1.5.x:
The countdown + jump sequence are not started. They are coupled because the effect is spawned as standard entity a few seconds before the actual jump happens. The handling happens in the countdown timer function. To decouple the countdown from the effect you'll need to:
- change the check for .bgsDisableJump in .playerStartedJumpCountdown

if(duration<1 || (this.bgsDisableJump && !this.bgsHyperFX)) return;
- enclose the if(!this.bgsCountOnly... else... in .doBGSWPTimer in a check for .bgsDisableJump

if(!this.bgsDisableJump){
    if(!this.bgsCountOnly && this.bgsCounter.wp>13){...
    } else {...
    }
}
In BGS 1.6:
Only the countdown is not started. The settings are decoupled, because Oolite v1.77 has a new VisualEffect class and the spawning of the effect happens on .shipWillExitWitchspace.

I'll add the mentioned changes in the next update (1.5.2).
Thx so much!!! Worked like a charm!!!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

zdoofop wrote:
Thx so much!!! Worked like a charm!!!
Fine .-) And thx for the pointer!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

I've updated BGS, CCL, Hyperradio, OXPConfig and Snoopers for Oolite r5603+ (see first post).

Changes:
- fixes and tweaks
- code cleanup
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

A quick bug report.

Using r5608, CCL1.7_r127, BGS-A1.6_r73, OXPConfig2.2.3_r47 and halsis_BGS1.1

The latest BGS update has broken compatibility with halsis_BGS again, and some of the halsis sounds are no longer playing.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Diziet Sma wrote:
The latest BGS update has broken compatibility with halsis_BGS again, and some of the halsis sounds are no longer playing.
Hey Dizzy - what means 'some sounds'?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Diziet Sma wrote:
After taking a closer look at Halsis I'm not surprised.
- Both sounds for the extra piece of kit are missing in the OXP, although they are defined in customsounds.plist.
- The filenames for "[hold-full]" and "[witchdrive-malfunction]" are misspelled.

Ok, try Halsis_BGS1.2
It solves the mentioned problems in Halsis and fixes my own misspelling in the v1.1 patch.