[WIP - UPDATED (v0.8.2 19-Aug-23)] Oolite Interactive Map

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[WIP - UPDATED (v0.8.2 19-Aug-23)] Oolite Interactive Map

Post by PhantorGorth »

I have created a new mapping tool: Oolite Interactive Map (now version 0.8.1 see below for release details).

http://bit.ly/OoliteInteractiveMap

It is a simple to use map that has the following features:
  • Basic navigation: zoom and pan.
  • Pop up showing the details of each system.
  • Select start and end systems and show the shortest or quickest route between them.
  • Use the Galaxy Seed dialog to save and retrieve previously saved seeds.
For instructions on how to use click on the help button.

It requires an SVG supporting browser (eg. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, IE9) I haven't tested it on all these so if you have any problems let me know. (Currently known not to work on Safari 6 on OSX (Lion). Safari 5 is fine though.)

This a work in progress and the features I am hoping to include in later versions are:
  • Separate overlapping systems when you move your mouse close to them. Done
  • Changeable system icon configuration for showing information such as economy, species, government, etc. Done
  • The ability to scan Log, Save Game and special OXP files to display info such as the last N jumps taken by your ship, location of mission waypoints visited and targets, etc.
Regards,

Phantor Gorth

PS there is a 3D version of this which I will release soon. The aim of this will be to demonstrate what a 3D version of the Oolite map would be like. Done

WIP Release: Version 0.8.2: See here for details.

Updated Release: Version 0.8.1
  • Changed size of system when selected in Fill only to be the same as if you selected it in both Fill and Border.
  • Added colouring options for Productivity, Population and Radius to both Fill and Border dropdowns.
Updated Release: Version 0.8.0
  • Multi-leg routes: I have noticed that there was a complaint that you couldn't use it to do more sophisticated routing. So you can now daisy chain routes. As before you just left-click on a system to start a route. (Which will be shown with a green surrounding icon.) To create a route you then extend it by shift-left-clicking the destination system. (Which will be shown with a red surrounding icon.) This is the same as before. Now shift-left-click on the next system and it will create a new extended route from the previous destination to the new system. (The previous destination now now becomes a waypoint and its surrounding icon is now purple and the new destination/end system has a red surrounding icon.) This means the route has two legs. You can click on lines for each leg separately to switch them from shortest to quickest route and back again. You can extend a route as many times as you want.

The list of systems in the route under the map now show all the legs and the start, waypoint and end point systems are highlighted in the appropriate colours (green, purple, red). The systems in between are coloured according to the route type (shortest (magenta) or shortest cyan).

You can reduce the daisy chaining by using shift-ctrl-left-click on any of the waypoints or the start point to remove one or more legs.

The search feature has also altered. The first of two search boxes is only unlocked when you have no points or just the start point. You can use the second search box to extend the route. Once a single system is selected the route will be extended and that systems name will be moved to the first box and the second box will be cleared.
  • To the right of the map are two new dropdowns (Fill and Border). With each you can select from None or 4 different system properties (Species, Governments, Economies, and Tech Level) These change the colour of the systems or adds a coloured ring. One selects the circle colours and one the ring. If the ring is selected to one of the 4 and the circle is set at None then the circle will be the default blue colour. Tech Levels options also changes the shape of the systems. If you make a selection then a legend will appear under the dropdown.
Updated Release: Version 0.7.4

The Galaxy Seed dialog has been modified to allow you to save seeds with names:
  • Default button has been hidden (only appears if your browser does not support HTML5 LocalStorage) and you can use the "Oolite Default" option in a new drop-down in the Galaxy Seed dialog.
  • The rest of the page is disabled when in the Galaxy Seed dialog. (The Galaxy Seed button also still works.)
  • You can select saved seeds by name (named seeds) in the new drop-down. I have included a few examples that have been mentioned on the Oolite Bulletin Board.
  • The name of the seed (if it has one) is displayed above the top left corner of the map.
  • If you select a named seed that is not "Oolite Default" you may delete it or rename it by picking the appropriate option from the drop-down.
  • If you change the seed manually to a set of numbers for an new/unsaved seed you get the option to save it from the drop-down. Selecting this pops up a Save Name dialog. (Use the "x" in the corner to close the dialog if it is unwanted.)
  • If the current seed is one of the named ones then the drop-down will always have that name selected by default. If the seed is unnamed then the option "Other Galaxy Seed" will be displayed in the drop-down by default instead.
  • Using HTML5 LocalStorage means that seeds and their names will be saved in the browser and they will be there when you return as long as you use the same PC and browser and you do not delete cookies for the page's domain.
  • I have added a set of example seeds, most of which have been mentioned in BB. These will be added the first time you use this new version. Please delete them if you wish.
Updated Release: Version 0.7.3
  • There is a new Galaxy Seed button. Click on this to change or reset the Galaxy seed numbers.
Updated Release: Version 0.7.2

Bug fixes:
  • Zooming in and out now zooms the link lines connected to overlapping systems.
  • Overlapping systems separation distance now scales with zooming in and out too.
Updated Release: Version 0.7.1

Bug fix:
  • Ctrl-click auto zoom: zoom out now correctly repositions the selectors.
Updated Release: Version 0.7

Features added:
  • 3D Mode is now available! All the systems are now give z positions and you can rotate your view in 3D.
  • Ctrl-click on any of the systems to auto zoom to that system to give a similar view to the F6 screen in Oolite.
Updated Release: Version 0.6.1

Features added:
  • Overlaping systems now separate as you move your mouse close to them. This is to allowing you to click on and also get the pop-up infobox for system hidden underneath the overlapping system. Though this repositions the systems this does not affect routing or any properties.
  • As this is the 2D version of the map the z position of each system (which was always 16) is now not shown in the pop-up infobox.
Updated Release: v0.6

Features added:
  • Two text fields added for searching for start and end systems.
  • Changing the end system no longer defaults the route back to shortest route.
  • Reset View button added.
April 24 2017 - Edited URL
Last edited by PhantorGorth on Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:04 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: [WIP] Oolite Interactive Map

Post by Cody »

Very cool... thanks, PG! I'm playing with it now on Firefox - no problems at all.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

El Viejo wrote:
Very cool... thanks, PG! I'm playing with it now on Firefox - no problems at all.
Thanks EV. Firefox is what I developed it on, but that is good to know anyway.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

Nice job! I especially like how the route seeker can switch between "as few jumps as possible" and "as short jumps as possible".

(Also using Firefox.)
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Gimbal Locke wrote:
Nice job! I especially like how the route seeker can switch between "as few jumps as possible" and "as short jumps as possible".

(Also using Firefox.)
Thanks. I think Shortest route and Fewest Jumps are not exactly the same thing. I borrowed and converted to JS the code from oolite that does the Advanced Compass calculation of Quickest and Shortest. I did think that adding Fewest Jumps might be useful.

AkTanatha
Above Average
Above Average

Post by AkTanatha »

Works very nice on Internet Explorer 10 :)
Nice job :)
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Pretty cool - I like the listing of all the planets in between the two destinations in route planning :D.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Hueij
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Hueij »

Nice! Works great in Opera.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

It is working correctly with Firefox on my mac laptop. With Google Chrome it is all working except the routing.

But, not correct with Safari (v6.0.2). The info boxes are positioned wrong. When selecting a system on the right, you see part of the box on the far left side. Choosing a system more to the centre makes it draw the box completely outside the screen.
Routing is also not working here with Safari.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Eric Walch wrote:
It is working correctly with Firefox on my mac laptop. But, not with Safari (v6.0.2). The info boxes are positioned wrong. When selecting a system on the right, you see part of the box on the far left side. Choosing a box more to the centre makes it draw the box completely outside the screen.
Thanks for the info. Not having a Mac I can't play with the code to get it work for that browser. If it is reproduceable on Safari for Linux I might be able to fix it.

I will give that a go but for the time being I will have to say it is not compatible with Safari on Mac. I will test out the routing on Chrome too.

Update: I have tried it out on Chrome. It appears that you have to double click when you hold the shift key down to get set the end point of the route. For some reason a single click with shift pressed isn't registered.

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Hey nice helper tool, PG!
FF here .-)
Cody

Post by Cody »

I like it so much, I've added it to my browser's bookmark toolbar - instant access!
One purely aesthetic thing: how about eight nice push-buttons instead of the drop-down menu? Do-able?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Fine here too except for the route planning (Chrome under Win7).

A search/locate function may also be a nice future addition, but very nice anyway as-is.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

El Viejo wrote:
I like it so much, I've added it to my browser's bookmark toolbar - instant access!
One purely aesthetic thing: how about eight nice push-buttons instead of the drop-down menu? Do-able?
Radio buttons done. (That was a complete bugger because radio buttons look huge and miss-align the other buttons in chrome so I used an image based solution.)

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Thargoid wrote:
Fine here too except for the route planning (Chrome under Win7).

A search/locate function may also be a nice future addition, but very nice anyway as-is.
Did you try double clicking on the system when pressing shift?