Problem Povray Planets

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Problem Povray Planets

Post by Diziet Sma »

Well, "all dried up" counts as an "unusual ocean".. :P
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Okay ... so what's unusual is that the planet is extremely cold, with melting and refreezing happening over geological rather than seasonal timescales. The "oceans" are basically covered by a permanent thick floating glacier, across the entire planet. It's a great planet for geology students, as you can see the strata changes vulcanism, ocean currents, and mineral denaturation have left in the glaciers from orbit. The amphibian inhabitants have generally tunneled beneath the ice cap, living in cities stuck to its underside, where the water is still cold, but not actually freezing. The glaciers are rich in minerals, which can be 'mined' extremely easily for industrial uses, which is why a bunch of cold-bloods are living somewhere so unpleasant.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Wildeblood wrote:
Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
API is supplied specifically to allow other OXP's to control the behavior of DH-S. It's not hard to figure out from the code, but I really should get around to get around to writing the documentation sometime... Meh.
It's not an API unless it's documented. The usual terminology for an undocumented API is trojan or trapdoor. Fortunately, a trapdoor into an OXP script can't harm a player's computer, but the repeated references to a "DH API" are just so much pretentious nonsense.
Calling Cmd. Cheyd's DH-S OXP a "trojan" (implying it's a virus) because of the DH API is harsh.

It gives the OPTION to prevent incompatibilities with other OXPs that care to use it...
Unlike the reverse...like most other OXPs do, which is to cause a bunch of incompatibilities -- often without even realizing they've done so!
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Okay, my final on this-
Wildeblood - If you have a problem with me or my oxp, message me directly. Far more polite than bitching about it publically without giving me the opportunity to change the code. Since that was my first OXP ever, I'm not a professional or even amateur programmer, and I had never programmed in javascript before, I consider it a fairly good one. Most of what you complain about was and is the standard of OXPs in this community. You don't like my contribution, piss off.

As for the supposed emphasis on "isn't this code clever" - You've taken the suggestion wrong. I suggested someone look at DH-S because of a lot of the features that were being discussed were already implemented therein. I was trying to offer it as a jumping off point for anyone wanting to implement similar. They wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel.

As for what will happen if the modified OXP is distributed, there are a large number of things I can legally do, but in truth, I would hope I wouldn't have to go further than politely asking that it cease. This is normally a fairly friendly community, or was prior to your arrival.

As for calling my OXP a trojan, you're wrong. A trojan is "a malicious application that masquerades as a legitimate file or helpful program but whose real purpose is, for example, to grant a hacker unauthorized access to a computer." Undocumented API's are exactly that - API's that have not been documented because they may undergo changes or alterations. Since the OXP was released in a BETA state, and I had asked for comments and fixes back then, it makes sense I wouldn't lock the API by documenting it. Since I haven't seen any other OXP's try and utilize it yet, there's been no feedback. Hence, I haven't documented it.

If you want to submit a fix for DH-S, please follow the instructions in the license agreement and submit them to me directly. But let me save you the trouble - Examine Clause 2 of that License - Consider it now invoked for you specifically. Delete any and all copies of any OXP I have authored that you have. You no longer have license to distribute, possess, process, or utilize them in any way.

No need to respond, you are now ignored. Whichever moderator finds this first and decides to edit or delete it, I fully understand.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Okay, my final on this-
Wildeblood - If you have a problem with me or my oxp, message me directly.
This, please.

Please also keep on-topic and try not to make comments about the personalities of board users.

There is a good system for reporting posts that are offensive or spam, please use it.

Thank you,

-- Giles.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Erbiti, G1 - description says know for it's great dense forests, but looks more like a desert world :).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

:D Calling all complainers , the combined PovrayPlanets-Gal2+FamousPlanets-Gal2 release is very close , if you have not yet found/reported a problem planet - please let me know. Those currently reported and fixed are listed ..
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 45#p189421
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

[quote="submersible"]:D Calling all complainers /quote]

:shock: :? :) :D :twisted:

Nice Submersible. I promised to get a FP for Povray Release out of the door this week but I'm a little delayed.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

submersible wrote:
:D Calling all complainers , the combined PovrayPlanets-Gal2+FamousPlanets-Gal2 release is very close , if you have not yet found/reported a problem planet - please let me know. Those currently reported and fixed are listed ..
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 45#p189421
No G1 (or G5) system are on the list - is Erbiti (G1) fixed already?
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

CommRLock78 wrote:
That list is only for G2. There is a compiled list of G1 fixes earlier in the thread, Erbiti was not reported at the time I compiled the combined galaxy1 - so it was not fixed. However - it is possible to release small patch like updates.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

submersible wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
That list is only for G2. There is a compiled list of G1 fixes earlier in the thread, Erbiti was not reported at the time I compiled the combined galaxy1 - so it was not fixed. However - it is possible to release small patch like updates.
My mistake - I didn't realize there was another list for G1 earlier in the thread :oops: . I'll continue to keep my eyes peeled though :).