Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

OOLiteInfo v0.2 Released.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: OOLiteInfo v0.2 Released.

Post by another_commander »

maarcooose, check out PyInstaller. I believe this is the program Kaks used to package the Debug Console executable for Windows that we are distributing from Berlios. I think it's much more elegant than having to install a bunch of libraries and dev environments for getting the app to work.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

maaarcooose wrote:
I need to have a closer look at the main oolite code to see how the planet image is picked and match up in ooliteinfo.
There are currently 3 different texture generators in Oolite, so make sure you get the right one :D Two are currently used for "detailed planets on/off'. And there is a unused (and unfinished) one that is linked to the option 'NEW PLANETS'. That last one you can ignore. And don't ask me how it works as its a black box for me.
However, all planets are generated randomly, based on system_seed values, so you won't find actual texture files for planets.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Eric Walch wrote:
However, all planets are generated randomly procedurally, based on system_seed values, so you won't find actual texture files for planets.
Fixed that for you, Eric.
PhilHibbs
Above Average
Above Average

Post by PhilHibbs »

How come it doesn't display the industrial/agricultural economy type? Is that in any way related to "Productivity"?

Also it's kind of annoying that it zooms all the way back out if you zoom in and click on a system.

What I'd like from a program like this is to be able to mark planets by type, e.g. set colour by productivity type (Rich Industrials to red, Poor Agriculturals to green) and set an icon or crosshair by government type (e.g. set a crosshair around Anarchies). Then I could just look around for a group of all three close togetger. Are you still developing this program?
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

PhilHibbs wrote:
How come it doesn't display the industrial/agricultural economy type? Is that in any way related to "Productivity"?
Good point that. I was looking at it the other day and realised it didn't show it.
PhilHibbs wrote:
Also it's kind of annoying that it zooms all the way back out if you zoom in and click on a system.
I made it do that because if you click on a planet and the label is outside the viewable area, you wouldn't see it.
PhilHibbs wrote:
What I'd like from a program like this is to be able to mark planets by type, e.g. set colour by productivity type (Rich Industrials to red, Poor Agriculturals to green) and set an icon or crosshair by government type (e.g. set a crosshair around Anarchies). Then I could just look around for a group of all three close togetger. Are you still developing this program?
I am still developing this program and thats the kind of good suggestions I need.

The majority of the limitations were simply because I needed the program to do a job for me while I concentrated on writing.
Now I'm done with Mostly Deadly, I'll start looking at improving OOLiteInfo as I do want it to be a decent program and feature packed.

Planned updates are:
- Planet search that works properly, across all charts.
- Highlight planets by government, productivity, type, etc...
- Planet icons.
- Copy and pasteable planet info fields.
- Much better zooming. Box zoom.
- Route planner mode. Click planets to highlight a route, readout distance and list of planets.

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

I only just found this tool - very nice! I'm considering something similar as a web service, part of what would be backing a site for crowdsourcing of planet info. I noticed you're using .csv files as the data store - would you have any use for an SQLite database of that galaxy data ?
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

submersible wrote:
I only just found this tool - very nice! I'm considering something similar as a web service, part of what would be backing a site for crowdsourcing of planet info. I noticed you're using .csv files as the data store - would you have any use for an SQLite database of that galaxy data ?
Probably not.

I'm already working on a web version and also attempting to re-write using the procedurally generated names so my requirement for a Db backed will dissapear.

Later on I want to try and plug it into OOLite to read the various OXP modifications to systems and anything relevant in the save games such as systems gone nova.

Although, if you had a web service with a database on it, I could theoretically connect to it. I did consider using a MySQL database on my own website to use as the back end but in all honesty, the cab files have always just been a lazy way out of the procedural generation and it made it easily stand alone.

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php