Stupid Commercial Interruptions

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Stupid Commercial Interruptions

Post by CommRLock78 »

I've been noticing some strange behavior from PBS.org videos and commercials. For a couple days, I didn't have to deal with a single commercial interruption, which I thought might have something to do with No Script, however, now I'm not so sure, as I can't move the time slider without getting a commercial. Now this may be "pie in the sky" as they say, but has anyone figured out how to avoid interruptions while watching videos ? (this question applies to youtube as well). Any ideas why I should be so lucky for a couple days, then suddenly not so lucky with the interruptions? (for things I have absolutely zero interest in I might add - but then, I feel that way about all commercials).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Stupid Commercial Interruptions

Post by Selezen »

This is what itv.com do (or did - I haven't used it since) - every time you move a slider or pause something then you have to sit through an advert or six before resuming your programme.

If this is a new thing for PBS then if you wait a few weeks they might stop it after the complaints come in. Commercially funded media seems to have to need to try this concept out to see if they can rake in some money before the peasants revolt.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I like my watching internet streams as ad-free as anybody else, but I haven't found a way to do that yet. It just seems that at times there are no ads booked for a specific program, and as long as that goes it's ad-free.

However, there is this recently finished Kickstarter project. They promise you to get rid of every ad, including streaming and YouTube. It's not cheap, though.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

The revolt has already begun, at least from my end.

When shopping, I ignore the marketing hype - which is usually blatant lies anyway - and go by user reviews and my own discernment instead. Especially when the "latest and greatest" in real world tests sucks harder than last year's product. (Vista vs XP, anyone?)

The adbots can plug that crap all they want. I'll add what they're plugging to my already long list of "utterly useless crap I wouldn't take if it was handed out for free, and I damn sure aint paying for landfill fodder I have no need of" list.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Sorry fellas, with all the discussion about E:D I didn't see that there was three replies to this :).
Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
<SNIP>
The adbots can plug that crap all they want. I'll add what they're plugging to my already long list of "utterly useless crap I wouldn't take if it was handed out for free, and I damn sure aint paying for landfill fodder I have no need of" list.
Agreed :!: 98% is absolute crap - landfill fodder :x
Commander McLane wrote:
I like my watching internet streams as ad-free as anybody else, but I haven't found a way to do that yet. It just seems that at times there are no ads booked for a specific program, and as long as that goes it's ad-free.

However, there is this recently finished Kickstarter project. They promise you to get rid of every ad, including streaming and YouTube. It's not cheap, though.
There must be specific times when they have an ad queued and others when they don't. As of yet I haven't noticed a pattern to them. That AdTrap looks pretty neat, but at 150 bones, I'm not sure I watch enough videos to merit the cost :D.
Selezen wrote:
If this is a new thing for PBS then if you wait a few weeks they might stop it after the complaints come in. Commercially funded media seems to have to need to try this concept out to see if they can rake in some money before the peasants revolt.
The thing that really flips me out about it is that the commercials seem completely unrelated to the programme, (i.e., not corporate funders of the programme). One of the commercials was actually for a stupid movie! I mean, come on PBS..... shameful :roll:
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'