Linux trunk glitches - fixed

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Linux trunk glitches - fixed

Post by Thargoid »

There seem to be a couple of glitches in trunk for Linux which would merit some investigation:

• shipApproachingPlanetSurface doesn't seem to be firing when you approach the planet surface (hence Planetfall is currently rather deadly for penguins).
  • Some items of equipment which should be unique purchases are being listed twice under the F5 screen and also in PS.equipment (PS.removeEquipment takes away both at once, and PS.awardEquipment done once gives the item twice) - the latter seen using EQ_PLANETFALL.
Both of these happen under trunk (tested under 5564, yesterdays nightly build), and neither issue is seen under Windows. Can't comment about Mac, but maybe someone else could check?[/color]
Last edited by Thargoid on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Linux trunk glitches

Post by cim »

Thargoid wrote:
  • shipApproachingPlanetSurface doesn't seem to be firing when you approach the planet surface (hence Planetfall is currently rather deadly for penguins).
[/color]
Should be fixed in r5568. The cause was the "double" return type of the 'radius' function being overridden to "GLfloat" in PlanetEntity. I would have hoped that sort of error would be caught by compiler warnings, but apparently not yet...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Thanks - I'll test it tomorrow with the nightly (as I don't have room for a full build environment on that side of the partitions) and report back.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

I can't duplicate the other one on Linux

Code: Select all

> PS.equipment
[[EquipmentInfo EQ_DOCK_COMP "Docking Computers"], [EquipmentInfo EQ_HEAT_SHIELD "External Heat Shielding"], [EquipmentInfo EQ_PLANETFALL "Planetary Landing Capability"]]
F5 shows the same.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK still no idea how to copy/paste out of the debug console under Lubuntu, but a screengrab showing both it and the main window should be below. I've highlighted the console duplication - I guess you can see the one on the main screen for yourself ;)

This is with trunk 5564 and my normal slew of OXPs.

PS I really really really hate the new Photobucket image editor :evil:
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Long shot just to rule it out: you don't have two different versions of Planetfall in your OXP folder, do you?

(Copying on Linux is generally: drag-select with your mouse, middle-click to paste)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I'll check tomorrow as I'm under Windows now. It could be possible that the beta and the 1.76 versions are both being seen by trunk. But even so both versions should define the equipment as EQ_PLANETFALL, so I'd expect one to just overwrite the other anyway?

And middle-click is somewhat difficult when using a netbook trackpad with only two buttons ;) But thanks for the tip anyway.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Thargoid wrote:
I'll check tomorrow as I'm under Windows now. It could be possible that the beta and the 1.76 versions are both being seen by trunk. But even so both versions should define the equipment as EQ_PLANETFALL, so I'd expect one to just overwrite the other anyway?
Well, indeed. But that should happen no matter what is causing two of them to show up.
Thargoid wrote:
And middle-click is somewhat difficult when using a netbook trackpad with only two buttons ;) But thanks for the tip anyway.
"Both at once" might emulate middle-click (it does on my mouse, and that has a middle button)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Indeed, two versions (or to be specific two installations of the same version) were visible and causing it. Removing the rogue one got rid of the equipment echo.

And the approachingPlanet event is triggering fine too with the latest nightly, so job done all round :)
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Linux trunk glitches - fixed

Post by cim »

Thargoid wrote:
so job done all round
Well, almost. equipment.plist is supposed to only allow one instance of any "EQ_..." object. The format (unique key as the fourth parameter in an array element, rather than as a dictionary index) means it has to have a custom merging routine - perhaps it's broken. I'll check.

EDIT: fixed in r5570