Dark Wheel style misjumps!

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Dark Wheel style misjumps!

Post by Switeck »

Smivs wrote:
What you are suggesting is in fact a way of being able to target specific locations in interstellar space. This would potentially be a useful feature I agree, but as the game stands this is simply not an option, and my instincts are that it would not be an easy thing to incorporate into the game.
As the game stands, you can already do 1 misjump, and fuel permitting, do another misjump from interstellar space. These are semi-easily predictable locations in interstellar space if done between 2 systems, almost like harmonic intervals. A distance multiplier offers more granularity than normal misjumps, creating more of a continuous "all colors of the rainbow" spectrum instead of harmonic absorption bands. But it will still be limited to between those 2 systems.

It is only when you misjump and then misjump to a 3rd system that it becomes unpredictable.
cim wrote:
It would have limitations in that currently interstellar space composition in planetinfo.plist can only be set to affect all points on a line between two systems equally.
...Making that difficult too.

This is already a problem with misjumps as they are now and 0% to 100% variable distance misjumps won't make that worse.
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Thargoid Witchspace Drive makes use of multiple interstellar jumps w/o fuel. Modify it to be able to target interstellar points and make the necessary jumps and course changes?
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Thargoid Witchspace Drive does multiple regular misjumps over and over again.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Switeck wrote:
This is already a problem with misjumps as they are now and 0% to 100% variable distance misjumps won't make that worse.
They might make it more noticeable, though. Still, OXP writers can deal with any conflicts.

Anyway, ship.scriptedMisjumpRange is in r5553. Range is > 0.0 and < 1.0 (so you can't set it to 1.0 for a "not actually a misjump" or to 0.0 for "goes nowhere"), and it resets to 0.5 after every jump (in the same way that scriptedMisjump resets to false)

Times and distances use Micha's formulae to prevent exploitation; fuel usage is independent of range.

I've tested all the combinations I can think of involving the player, other ships, where either or both have scriptedMisjump and/or scriptedMisjumpRange set, and the behaviour seems correct in all those cases ... but those of you who wanted this functionality might well find some obscure case I didn't consider.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Looks like I'll be running a newer nightly update soon and testing like mad!