Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite OXP

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Oolite OXP

Post by Disembodied »

You may also enjoy the [wiki]Delightful Docking[/wiki] OXP, which slows the station rotation a bit (and perks up some other stuff, too). I prefer a more stately rotation myself: I think it makes the stations seem larger.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Doesn't that require the DC, though?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

El Viejo wrote:
Doesn't that require the DC, though?
For some of its features, yes - but it slows the station rotation whether you've got a docking computer or not.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Ah... I think all the Griff stations (apart from his original Coriolis) have slower than default rotation speeds.
jacksy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jacksy »

It is a tough start so far, finding the stations themselves is a nightmare. I have managed to get to systems and find the buoy but finding the stations is the hardest bit now. Is there a rule of thumb on locating them?I know they are supposed to be green on the scanner
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

jacksy wrote:
It is a tough start so far, finding the stations themselves is a nightmare. I have managed to get to systems and find the buoy but finding the stations is the hardest bit now. Is there a rule of thumb on locating them?I know they are supposed to be green on the scanner
When you arrive in a new system, your basic Space Compass points, by default, at the planet. When you get close enough to the planet, it'll switch to pointing at the station.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

jacksy wrote:
Jump to the system and head for the planet. Once you get close to the planet you will notice that the compass changes position and will then direct you to the station.

Head directly for the navigation buoy and once at the buoy come to a complete stop. The rotate your ship until the space station is in view. You should now be correctly lined up to approach and land on the station.

Edit - I see Disembodied has already replied. :wink:
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
jacksy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jacksy »

Shipbuilder wrote:
jacksy wrote:
Jump to the system and head for the planet. Once you get close to the planet you will notice that the compass changes position and will then direct you to the station.

Head directly for the navigation buoy and once at the buoy come to a complete stop. The rotate your ship until the space station is in view. You should now be correctly lined up to approach and land on the station.

Edit - I see Disembodied has already replied. :wink:

right fellas all sorted now and warping about ...ta very much
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hi Jacksy.. looks like you've been having some fun while I was sleeping. :D (Aust being on the other side of the planet from you, and all) The other 4 Povray Planet packs are almost finished uploading now.

About the only question I see that nobody has really addressed is OXP clashes. Truth is, they're very rare. The Authors work hard to try and make sure that doesn't happen. There are some obvious ones, of course. For instance, trying to install multiple HUDs makes no sense, and would certainly clash. That said, recently some work has been put into making HUDs that combine various features from several HUDs, so if you like feature X from HUD A, and feature Y from HUD B, there's a chance somebody has already made a HUD that combines both.

Another obvious clash is adding replacement sets of ships. Most of the ship-sets which re-work the core game ships now come in two types. Replacement Sets, which, as the name suggests, completely replace the core ships, and Addition Sets, which don't replace the core ships, but supplement them instead, giving more variety to your Ooniverse. You should only have one Replacement Set installed, and any other core-sets should be Addition Sets. Having two Replacement Sets installed will lead to problems.

Oh yes, you asked about having two different female computer voices playing at the same time. What you're hearing is the one from BGS, and the inbuilt core voice synthesiser. You should probably disable the inbuilt voice, since the BGS one sounds better. (and yes, that's Majel Barrett you hear sometimes) To do this, when docked press 2 or F2 and select Options. You'll see settings there to make the voice male or female, and to turn it on or off.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ok.. all the Povray Planets are now uploaded to Google Docs, which should take care of the bandwidth problem. (I hope :mrgreen:) I'll add them to the Wiki shortly.

Download Link for the base OXP and Galaxies 1, 2, 4 and 5:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5dyw ... BJaGs/edit

Download Link for Galaxies 3, 6, 7 and 8:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B6pTN ... h2YUU/edit
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Diziet Sma wrote:
...recently some work has been put into making HUDs that combine various features from several HUDs, so if you like feature X from HUD A, and feature Y from HUD B, there's a chance somebody has already made a HUD that combines both.
My cue to plug! :lol:
In my sig you'll see my OXP's. Since you're a starting player and very likely clean, I'd suggest the 249th, who might save your aft. You might like the HoloCon or HoloNumHUD, and pilotsArt might make some good reading.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

My contribution to the Ooniverse is a fairly humble one, but I'm proud of it... The Nav Buoy.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
a fairly humble one, but I'm proud of it... The Nav Buoy.
And so you should be.. it's gorgeous.. I often get up close to one, just to gaze at its' innards.. :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
a fairly humble one, but I'm proud of it... The Nav Buoy.
And so you should be.. it's gorgeous.. I often get up close to one, just to gaze at its' innards..
I do that... I even nudge it around a bit.
jacksy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jacksy »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Hi Jacksy.. looks like you've been having some fun while I was sleeping. :D (Aust being on the other side of the planet from you, and all) The other 4 Povray Planet packs are almost finished uploading now.

About the only question I see that nobody has really addressed is OXP clashes. Truth is, they're very rare. The Authors work hard to try and make sure that doesn't happen. There are some obvious ones, of course. For instance, trying to install multiple HUDs makes no sense, and would certainly clash. That said, recently some work has been put into making HUDs that combine various features from several HUDs, so if you like feature X from HUD A, and feature Y from HUD B, there's a chance somebody has already made a HUD that combines both.

Another obvious clash is adding replacement sets of ships. Most of the ship-sets which re-work the core game ships now come in two types. Replacement Sets, which, as the name suggests, completely replace the core ships, and Addition Sets, which don't replace the core ships, but supplement them instead, giving more variety to your Ooniverse. You should only have one Replacement Set installed, and any other core-sets should be Addition Sets. Having two Replacement Sets installed will lead to problems.

Oh yes, you asked about having two different female computer voices playing at the same time. What you're hearing is the one from BGS, and the inbuilt core voice synthesiser. You should probably disable the inbuilt voice, since the BGS one sounds better. (and yes, that's Majel Barrett you hear sometimes) To do this, when docked press 2 or F2 and select Options. You'll see settings there to make the voice male or female, and to turn it on or off.

Morning Diziet Sma
Great advice mate. Do not seem to be getting any conflicts, so kudos to the makers. The computer voice was indeed the built in voice, so all sorted now..cheers

ps did you say you are in Australia?
Last edited by jacksy on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.