Getting "Out of Virtual Memory" when using 1.77

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Getting "Out of Virtual Memory" when using 1.77

Post by Lestradae »

Tried using 1.77 with my full oxp folder (470 or so oxps) but got the "Out of Virtual Memory" windows message before the rotating Cobra should have appeared.

The exact same folder works nicely with 1.76.1.

Not sure if that is simply due to too many no longer 1.77-compatible oxps somehow, or if the "use all 4GB" flag hasn't been set for 64bit win7 systems for 1.77?

Just remarking.

Stderr file simply had four "Out of Virtual Memory" lines and nothing else in there.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Getting "Out of Virtual Memory" when using 1.77

Post by another_commander »

470 OXPs? This must be the stress-test of the millenium. No wonder it runs out of memory.

Oh, and the Large Address Aware flag which enables access to more than 2GB RAM for 32-bit applications is set also for the 1.77 builds. Also, the 1.77 executable is bigger than the 1.76.1 one (which is normal given the amount of new features added) and quite likely has a larger memory footprint, which could explain why 1.76.1 seems to run 470 OXPs while 1.77 doesn't.

I suggest you start unloading some OXPs. I believe you have once again hit the 32-bit memory limit.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

another_commander wrote:
... the 1.77 executable is bigger than the 1.76.1 one (which is normal given the amount of new features added) and quite likely has a larger memory footprint, which could explain why 1.76.1 seems to run 470 OXPs while 1.77 doesn't.

I suggest you start unloading some OXPs. I believe you have once again hit the 32-bit memory limit.
I always do that sort of stress test - always have, always will :mrgreen:

I will try a few things, and watch the memory development on 1.76.1 with all that in to find out at what point the system gives and if it is the memory limit (again) as you suspect.

In the meantime, I really hope someone comes up with a 64bit executable for Windows sometime ... :(
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hm ... 1.77, rev5520 - suddenly no problem with the virtual memory ...

Good work!