Beta OXPs for Trunk 1.77

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Beta OXPs for Trunk 1.77

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Kiota Solar Station. After I destroyed the station (hey, somehow it had attained "Fugitive" status and a 71Cr bounty, so what else could I do? :twisted: ) the beacon showing its old location was still active.
Not Thargoid's fault. Happens with all stations. How can a piddly, little trade ship destroy a space station anyway, other than by ramming it? I'd call the vulnerability of the average station a bigger problem/bug/nonsense than the beacons being left behind.
Ok.. wasn't aware of that.. yeah, it did take a ridiculously small number of missiles to kill it.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

That part of things though I can certainly deal with - will tweak the beta (ooer missus).

Thanks for the heads-up anyway, and as Wildeblood says, the beacon bit is a trunk glitch.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Hmm, they've (all) already got max energy of 25000 and a recharge rate of 100. I'm surprised if they're easily destroyed.

All I can think of is it may be slowly taking damage due to its sun proximity - I'll up the heat insulation on the solar variants for the next beta (or final) release.
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

An idea for the combat variant of the Cargo Spotter; AI Combat Assistant might have some valuable code in it. That OXP keeps track of who's shooting at who, should be easy enough to convert it to a red/blue/green scheme; red for offenders or fugitives, blue for Galcop&friends, green for the bugs.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I did ponder something like that, but discarded it as it may make the game a little too tilted to the player, plus I didn't want to mess up some of our lovely active ship models by sticking arbitrary flashers on top of them. Cargo and rocks I can excuse, but some of the lovely models we have now would be spoilt too much I think hidden in a glow.

But if others want to run with it (subject to the code-adjustment needed if borrowed from CS by its license) then that's fine with me.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Thargoid wrote:
All I can think of is it may be slowly taking damage due to its sun proximity - I'll up the heat insulation on the solar variants for the next beta (or final) release.
Sounds like the most reasonable explanation—or Diziet used a Q-bomb. The usual energy and energy recharge of a station is not sufficient by far to survive a blast. Main stations are only protected by their contractual indestructibility.

The other question is how the station could get a bounty. I know that it can happen, but it has always felt odd to see a "fugitive" station. How can a station flee? I'd vote for explicitly excepting anything with CLASS_STATION from bounty calculations.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thargoid wrote:
Hmm, they've (all) already got max energy of 25000 and a recharge rate of 100. I'm surprised if they're easily destroyed.

Well, most of the station defenders were attacking it already, and I have no idea how long that had been going on. I then unloaded a full clip of Mil-Laser into it, followed by 2 hardheads and then 2 Nexus missiles, although I don't recall if they were premium or ultimate variants. The ensuing explosion was disappointingly brief.. :twisted:
Commander McLane wrote:
or Diziet used a Q-bomb.
Had I done that, I'd have said so.. lasers, missiles, and multi-warhead missiles only..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Thargoid wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up anyway, and as Wildeblood says, the beacon bit is a trunk glitch.
I can't duplicate this in trunk at all. Is there something more to it than "find a station with a beacon; blow it up" needed to trigger it?
Commander McLane wrote:
I'd vote for explicitly excepting anything with CLASS_STATION from bounty calculations.
Hmm, it is far too easy for armed stations to get a bounty by accidentally shooting the police defense ship they just launched, or similar. I'll add them to the "setup and scripted only" exemption which Thargoids get in trunk (so pirate coves, renegade stations, etc. can still have a bounty on set up)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The Kiota's are armed, so it sounds like a friendly fire incident that got out of hand and Dizzy finished off.

I'll look at putting together a customAI for the defenders to try and fix that up.

Cim wrote:
Hmm, it is far too easy for armed stations to get a bounty by accidentally shooting the police defense ship they just launched, or similar. I'll add them to the "setup and scripted only" exemption which Thargoids get in trunk (so pirate coves, renegade stations, etc. can still have a bounty on set up)

Could station defenders AI be set up to automatically ignore any hits from their mother stations to get around this generally (rather than having to code up a special AI for it)? Or is that what you meant above?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Thargoid wrote:
Could station defenders AI be set up to automatically ignore any hits from their mother stations to get around this generally (rather than having to code up a special AI for it)? Or is that what you meant above?
They'll be in the same group, so they usually will ignore friendly fire. The bounty engine, on the other hand, will not (and then the police AI may detect the station as an offender and ignore the "same group"). So r5510 just makes it so that only bounties in shipdata.plist or explicitly set by OXP scripts will take effect on stations. Bounties they gain from police crashing into them, or accidentally being shot, are excluded.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Sounds good - I'll leave the AI for now and look at it again later if the problem persists.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

cim wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
I can't duplicate this in trunk at all. Is there something more to it than "find a station with a beacon; blow it up" needed to trigger it?
Sorry, I assumed it was well known. Launch, target main station in compass, system.mainStation.explode(), look at your compass - still showing the station beacon. Cycle through the compass and it disappears, but it stays until you do.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

This doesn't sound right. The beacon shouldn't disappear at all should it, as it's attached to the Nav Buoy, not the station itself.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

In trunk, the beacon is attached to the station itself (I think).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Wildeblood wrote:
Sorry, I assumed it was well known. Launch, target main station in compass, system.mainStation.explode(), look at your compass - still showing the station beacon. Cycle through the compass and it disappears, but it stays until you do.
Are you using your "launch away from planet" OXP here? If you happened to blow up the main station while you weren't in the planetary aegis but were in the original station aegis you'd get this effect. That's the only situation I can duplicate it in.