Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Stellar Variety

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Stellar Variety

Post by Wildeblood »

I'm currently messing about with modifying the look of the stars in Oolite* system by system, so every system doesn't look the same as every other. It's the sort of activity that amuses someone who downloaded all 4GB of Povray Planets, so that no two planets would have the same texture. If the results of my tinkering are pleasing, I'll share them as an OXP. At which point, people will start to whinge, "You made my favourite system look all wrong." So if anyone has any opinions about particular systems that appear in mission OXPs or oofic, or that they just like hanging around, I'd like to hear them.

Like a bad Wikipedia article, this subject requires attention from an expert. I know there are red and blue giant stars, and red and white dwarf stars. Are there such things as green stars? And so on...

* The system main stars, not the background star field.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Stellar Variety

Post by Cody »

Wildeblood wrote:
Are there such things as green stars?
Apparently not... at least, not according to this.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Although this page suggests that you can get what they refer to as "greenish-white" stars at the very top end of the range.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Wildeblood wrote:
Are there such things as green stars?
This is the Ooniverse - you can have any colour you like! (as long as it's not black)

Apologies to Henry Ford
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Smivs wrote:
This is the Ooniverse - you can have any colour you like! (as long as it's not black)
You can set sun_color = "blackColor". But it comes out looking the same as "grayColor". I like red stars, it makes everything look like a sunset, and Griff's stations really "pop" into a three dimensional look.
Jake
Competent
Competent

Post by Jake »

Smivs wrote:

Apologies to Henry Ford
All we need now are stars with a Disco Mode.
Proud owner of the most iron-arsed Mk1 Cobbie in G1.
Kasero
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Rich Agricultural - Mainly Liquors/wines - Burgondy France

Post by Kasero »

Wildeblood wrote:
[...]. Are there such things as green stars? And so on...

* The system main stars, not the background star field.
There is no green star.
The color scale of the stars doesn' follow a "rainbow" scale, but a "heat" scale.
Look at a piece of iron being slowly heated in a furnace and you have a perfect overview of the spectrum of a star's color.

The old classification of stars, from the hottest ones to the coolest ones was O,B,A,F,G,K,M,R,N,S (Sun is of G type, yellow)
(And for the record, it was easy to remember this series: Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me Right Now Sweatheart.)

In some cases, especially in old astronomy books regarding double or multiple stars, we have some pictures of multicolored groups of stars showing green stars. This is an optical effect.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Wildeblood wrote:
Smivs wrote:
You can set sun_color = "blackColor". But it comes out looking the same as "grayColor". I like red stars, it makes everything look like a sunset, and Griff's stations really "pop" into a three dimensional look.
I guess that it's the same basic rule for the suns as for the laser colours: they have to be reasonably bright. Which means that Oolite will brighten up everything that's not bright enough. "blackColor" would clearly fall in this territory.