OMG - coffee could become extinct!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

OMG - coffee could become extinct!

Post by Smivs »

Yes it's true. Due to climate change it is thought that most types of coffee could become extict due to the effects of climate change where it is grown.
Grim news for many of us :(
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: OMG - coffee could become extinct!

Post by Cody »

Don't panic - climate change is in fact heading towards another ice-age, or so it would seem - the wild arabica bean may be okay.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

El Viejo wrote:
Don't panic - climate change is in fact heading towards another ice-age, or so it would seem - the wild arabica bean may be okay.
Hmm ... they make much of the carbon absorption of peatland: 20g per square metre per year. The average UK car produces around 2.7 tonnes of CO2 per year, or 2,700,000g. So one car needs about 135,000 square metres, or 0.135 square kilometres, of peatland (and that's just cars - we'll ignore air, trains, shipping, power generation, etc. for the moment). The surface area of Sweden is 450,300 square kilometres - so if it was all peatland, that would absorb the output of about 3.3 million cars each year. Sweden currently has over 6.8 million registered vehicles ... Of course, if the whole of Sweden turned into peat, then there probably wouldn't be quite so many cars, but still ... don't buy your snowshoes just yet! :)
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

The bottom line is (unless things get too hot) there will still be suitable climates somewhere. If it freezes out, then the equator will be the place to grow, if it gets hotter, somewhere in the higher latitudes will be good.

I sure would miss coffee though, if such a thing were to happen :cry: .
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Perversely the UK will just get a bit more rainy. Not sure we will be able to tell the difference.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Tricky wrote:
Perversely the UK will just get a bit more rainy. Not sure we will be able to tell the difference.
:lol: - Well, I can tell you from having lived on both sides of the fence, too much rain is infinitely better than too little ;).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'