Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[RELEASE] Povray Planets 1.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Povray Planets 2.0 should...

be crowd-source designed.
20%
wait for planet shader support.
58%
hosted by akamai.
13%
not be necessary.
10%

Total votes: 40

ecraven
Average
Average

Re: [RELEASE] Povray Planets 1.0

Post by ecraven »

galaxies 3, 6, 7 and 8 uploaded:
edit: I have removed all galaxies, i don't have enough space for all of them :( I'll try to upload them somewhere.
edit: new location:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B6pTN ... h2YUU/edit
I can't host them more than a few days, space is limited :( Submersible, could you possibly host them with the others? I hope I edited the oxp correctly.

Please report on whether it works as wanted :)

Previews:
http://www.nexoid.at/oolite/gal-3.jpg
http://www.nexoid.at/oolite/gal-6.jpg
http://www.nexoid.at/oolite/gal-7.jpg
http://www.nexoid.at/oolite/gal-8.jpg
Last edited by ecraven on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I was halfway through downloading them as well, Oh well, I'll try again later when the download is re published :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
ecraven
Average
Average

Post by ecraven »

very sorry, i'm uploading to google drive, box.com doesn't let me upload such large files :(
edit: see the link above, should be up in a few minutes
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
ecraven wrote:
did you ever think about generating space background with vic2d or povray? something brighter and more fun than black with a few stars :-)
Increase the nebula opacity setting and you'll see just how complex the background is.
And/or install [EliteWiki] Realistic Stars OXP.
Actually I generated some with Apophesis which replaced the original oolite nebula. It would appear that you can extend the array defined in 'nebulatextures.plist' , and add more variety at the price of texture memory.
Edit: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 73#p160495
ecraven
Average
Average

Post by ecraven »

Wildeblood wrote:
ecraven wrote:
did you ever think about generating space background with vic2d or povray? something brighter and more fun than black with a few stars :-)
Increase the nebula opacity setting and you'll see just how complex the background is.
how do i increase that setting? i haven't been able to find anything that is named nebula opacity :(
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

ecraven wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
ecraven wrote:
how do i increase that setting? i haven't been able to find anything that is named nebula opacity :(
That's a good question. :D The property is called "sky_blur_alpha", and you set in planetinfo.plist, either in the universal section or for a specific system. I presume the range of possible values is limited from 0.0 to 1.0. There are also related properties called "sky_blur_cluster_chance", "sky_blur_scale" & "sky_n_blurs" - I've never really been sure how those work.

Hmm, gal-3-Rerebni.png - I like that texture. Black foliage instead of the usual green.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Wildeblood wrote:
ecraven wrote:
That's a good question. :D The property is called "sky_blur_alpha", and you set in planetinfo.plist, either in the universal section or for a specific system. I presume the range of possible values is limited from 0.0 to 1.0. There are also related properties called "sky_blur_cluster_chance", "sky_blur_scale" & "sky_n_blurs" - I've never really been sure how those work.
You could look that up in the documentation, of course: [wiki]Planetinfo.plist[/wiki]

In short:

sky_n_blurs: number of nebulae (typical is 80, maximum is 1280)

sky_blur_scale: size of nebulae (default: 10)

sky_blur_cluster_chance: probability for nebulae to build large clusters, which brings more variation to the simple basic nebulae shapes (range 0 to 1, default: 0.80)

sky_blur_alpha: opacity of the nebulae (range 0 to 1, default: 0.1)
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

ecraven wrote:
very sorry, i'm uploading to google drive, box.com doesn't let me upload such large files :(
edit: see the link above, should be up in a few minutes
Many thanks ecraven, downloading as I write, I should have them all in an hour or so :)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Commander McLane wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
There are also related properties called "sky_blur_cluster_chance", "sky_blur_scale" & "sky_n_blurs" - I've never really been sure how those work.
You could look that up in the documentation, of course: [wiki]Planetinfo.plist[/wiki]
Yes, yes, of course I could.
Commander McLane wrote:
sky_blur_cluster_chance: probability for nebulae to build large clusters, which brings more variation to the simple basic nebulae shapes (range 0 to 1, default: 0.80)
Except that's not what the wiki says. All it says is, "Sky Blur Cluster Chance. This is used for creating nebulae (typically 0.80)", which is hardly an explanation of anything. It's no wonder I've never really been sure how it works.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Thanks, ecraven - all four grabbed (@5 mins/zip).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Wildeblood wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Except that's not what the wiki says. All it says is, "Sky Blur Cluster Chance. This is used for creating nebulae (typically 0.80)", which is hardly an explanation of anything. It's no wonder I've never really been sure how it works.
Okay, granted that this part of the documentation isn't as clear as it could be. The missing background information is that nebulae are created by clustering multiple copies of the few basic shapes and blending them together. This gives of course a greater variety of (randomly created) shapes than we ever could achieve with a large library of different nebulae pictures.

More information in the Draw Your Own Galaxy Contest sticky.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Many thanks,

My Oolite is just shy of 5 gig now and worth every kilobyte, I'm dawdling around a nice shiny new Galaxy Three trying to deliver a package and dodging some Multicoloured Saucers that shoot green laser beams almost anywhere except at me and the scenery is now par excellence, Thank you for your time and effort in completing the Eight. :D
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Thanks Duggan for completing the other galaxies. I have now all 8 textured galaxy with Galaxy 1 and 2 as a Povray/ Famous Planets Combo. :).
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cody

Post by Cody »

I am now fully Povray-ed up too! Having a commander in every octant, I've just taken a whistle-stop tour of the Eight - beautiful!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Hi Submersible. Could you officially release the Povray/ Famous Planets combo versions of G1 and G2 on the first page of this thread?

I know you did an 'unofficial release' a few pages back.

On my HD I have now Povray + FP combined G1 and Povray + FP combined G2.

I ask this because tonight I made Famous Planets ( the upcoming version v2.7) a text only version to go in tandem with those above mentioned sets for G1 and G2.

So the next version of Famous Planets will be in fact only a planet info.plist with the descriptions. The music is going out of the window. I'm thinking of releasing the music into a music pack for Hyperradio by Svengali.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709