Radeon HD 5450

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Radeon HD 5450

Post by CommRLock78 »

A couple weeks ago I got a Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, and (quite easily) got the proprietary driver installed on Mint 13.
Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has this (or similar card) and what they have done with the settings, such as anti-aliasing, which can be set to override all native settings within applications. Currently, I have the settings pretty well maximized and to override application settings. Performance is overall quite good, I'm just curious what other people are doing through Catalyst (the card's GUI control center).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Radeon HD 5450

Post by Diziet Sma »

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770, that just needs a working motherboard to plug it in to.. when that happens, I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Superb - I'll await your report. Thanks, Diziet (it seems to be a pretty good GFX card, and didn't require a power upgrade:) ).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Update on this issue: I wonder if maxing out / overriding application settings is the way to go, it seems Oolite is a little choppy, which I'm not fond of :evil:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

When I used a Radeon gfx card (HD3650 - good card, but I had troubles with the bloody AMD drivers), I had to tinker in the CCC 'til I found settings that ran Oolite how I liked it. I had the Catalyst AI disabled (definitely try that, as regards the 'choppy' effect) and most, but not all, the settings maxed-out.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

El Viejo wrote:
When I used a Radeon gfx card (HD3650 - good card, but I had troubles with the bloody AMD drivers), I had to tinker in the CCC 'til I found settings that ran Oolite how I liked it. I had the Catalyst AI disabled (definitely try that, as regards the 'choppy' effect) and most, but not all, the settings maxed-out.
Hey hey, now that's was some good advice - with AI disabled, Oolite is again running smooth like silk, that was definitely the culprit of the choppiness. Thanks EV! :mrgreen: (It's been about 10+ years since I had a discrete GFX card, so I was a little overwhelmed by all the options)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

CommRLock78 wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Hey hey, now that's was some good advice - with AI disabled, Oolite is again running smooth like silk, that was definitely the culprit of the choppiness. Thanks EV! :mrgreen: (It's been about 10+ years since I had a discrete GFX card, so I was a little overwhelmed by all the options)
Definitely! I'll keep that in mind when I get a mobo for the HD 5770.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied