Scanner Jammer enquiry

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Scanner Jammer enquiry

Post by Smivs »

Wasn't quite sure where best to post this really.
I was messing about with something yesterday - an NPC with a Miltary Scanner Jammer. Of course it didn't show up on my scanner, but certainly seemed to show for the Vipers which attacked it as soon as it engaged me.
The conclusion I came to was that NPCs can see other NPCs with scanner jammers fitted. Is this right? I can sort of see how (NPCs don't actually have scanners as such do they) but it seemed a bit odd (and inconsistent) nonetheless.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Scanner Jammer enquiry

Post by Thargoid »

Why odd?

Just 'cos it's not on the scanner doesn't mean you can't see it, for example visually...
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

[dumb pilot mode] Interesting - as the player, yes one can see it visually, just as one can see a cloaked ship - but how exactly do NPCs such as Vipers detect miscreant NPCs? Is it all part of the game engine? [/dumb pilot mode]
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

El Viejo wrote:
but how exactly do NPCs such as Vipers detect miscreant NPCs?
They have a virtual scanner, that only actually scans when required (pretty much never in combat; every few seconds for AIs outside of combat looking for trouble). Scanning is potentially extremely slow, so the engine tries to minimise it. There are also some routines like "target the last ship that attacked me" which minimise the need to actually check the scanner.

It's supposed to have a fairly similar feel to the player scanner in terms of what they see and when: delays in AI activity are substituted for the requirement to lock a gunsight onto the target to get its ident.

(The jammer, of course, is completely unsupported, so it may well be doing strange things...)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Ah... thanks again, cim.
cim wrote:
(The jammer, of course, is completely unsupported, so it may well be doing strange things...)
Curious!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Very interesting...thanks cim.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

At least when it's on the player's ship, the Miltary Scanner Jammer blocks missile locks on your ship. I never recall seeing NPC ships fire missiles at my ship while that equipment is working. Even Thargoids won't launch Thargons if you're the only ship near them. They will however if you fire a missile at them, due to how their thargoidAI.plist script is written and because they can target the missile itself.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

El Viejo wrote:
Ah... thanks again, cim.
cim wrote:
Curious!
It's one of two equipment items (together with its counterpart) that were implemented in the game code by Aegidian (which means pre-1.65), but never actually used for anything. Supposedly he may have had plans for some sort of mission during which you would've got access to one or the other. Nobody knows whether they were even fully implemented, and whether what we see now is what Aegidian intended.

Some time later they were discovered by interested parties (OXP authors; and it took surprisingly long if you consider that they're not really hidden, all you have to do is browse through Oolite's equipment.plist in order to find them), and there were two factions: the sensible faction saw their potential for unbalancing the game and thought it wise to keep them a secret; the über ship crowd on the other hand saw their potential for unbalancing the game and went completely mad with them. The development team (situated more on the sensible side of the spectrum) declared that they had no intentions whatsoever with these two equipment items, and wouldn't support them. Thus, to this day nobody knows whether they work (bug-free) as they were intended to work, and what the original intention was in the first place.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander McLane wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Ah... thanks again, cim.
cim wrote:
Curious!
It's one of two equipment items (together with its counterpart) that were implemented in the game code by Aegidian (which means pre-1.65), but never actually used for anything. Supposedly he may have had plans for some sort of mission during which you would've got access to one or the other. Nobody knows whether they were even fully implemented, and whether what we see now is what Aegidian intended.

Some time later they were discovered by interested parties (OXP authors; and it took surprisingly long if you consider that they're not really hidden, all you have to do is browse through Oolite's equipment.plist in order to find them), and there were two factions: the sensible faction saw their potential for unbalancing the game and thought it wise to keep them a secret; the über ship crowd on the other hand saw their potential for unbalancing the game and went completely mad with them. The development team (situated more on the sensible side of the spectrum) declared that they had no intentions whatsoever with these two equipment items, and wouldn't support them. Thus, to this day nobody knows whether they work (bug-free) as they were intended to work, and what the original intention was in the first place.
Winces slightly as scab is lifted slightly on old wounds... Ah, interesting times they were (but not in a good way!)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody

Post by Cody »

Fascinating!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Commander McLane wrote:
there were two factions: the sensible faction saw their potential for unbalancing the game and thought it wise to keep them a secret; the über ship crowd on the other hand saw their potential for unbalancing the game and went completely mad with them. The development team (situated more on the sensible side of the spectrum) declared that they had no intentions whatsoever with these two equipment items, and wouldn't support them. Thus, to this day nobody knows whether they work (bug-free) as they were intended to work, and what the original intention was in the first place.
The odder something is in a game, the more likely it is to draw my interest.

I took it on face value that npc ships would probably ignore me if I had the jammer. But just to be sure, I added a free cloaking device and enough energy regeneration rate to never need to turn it off. One can never be too safe. Together, I could almost "look around the universe" without drawing any npc attention to myself. I've been using it for probably close to 2 years now, in which time I've seen all sorts of game crashes and other weird behavior...and none of those bugs were traced back to the Miltary Scanner Jammer.

Something's original intent or purpose matters less than whether it works the way I want it to.
If that's because of a bug, by the time I'm done it tends to be a well-documented bug or firmly established feature.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Switeck wrote:
Something's original intent or purpose matters less than whether it works the way I want it to.
If that's because of a bug, by the time I'm done it tends to be a well-documented bug or firmly established feature.
Personally I don't care whether has bugs or crashes your game (or not). If used as you describe for yourself it's a completely game-breaking device, and I want nothing to do with it, and don't care for anyone's appraisal of it.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Then do something about it.
I haven't tested it on npc ships. Perhaps you should.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Switeck wrote:
Then do something about it.
I haven't tested it on npc ships. Perhaps you should.
Yes, I'm doing something about it: I try to forget that it exists, and I routinely remove it from every ship OXP I download, if it happens to be present.

I thought I had made myself clear: I don't want this equipment to exist. It's a game breaker. It's evil. If it were my decision, I'd have removed every trace of it from the Oolite code years ago. At least I can purge it from my Ooniverse.

So don't bother me about "doing something about it" or even "testing it".
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Is it just me or have things gotten a bit hostile lately?
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?