Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Being given two 'Hubbles' is a problem for NASA

Post by CommRLock78 »

El Viejo wrote:
Seeing mention of SETI... someone is now actively searching for Dyson Spheres.
An interesting idea, but certainly they can't be looking for any "ideal" Dyson spheres - those seem quite impractical and probably not feasible. Something ring-like might be though ;).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

CommRLock78 wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Seeing mention of SETI... someone is now actively searching for Dyson Spheres.
An interesting idea, but certainly they can't be looking for any "ideal" Dyson spheres - those seem quite impractical and probably not feasible.
… and invisible, one might add. :wink: (What do you want to detect from Earth, if the Dyson Sphere "harvests" the complete energy output of a star, meaning that nothing detectable would reach Earth?)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
(What do you want to detect from Earth, if the Dyson Sphere "harvests" the complete energy output of a star, meaning that nothing detectable would reach Earth?)
You can’t “harvest” energy, or use it up, only transform it. A Dyson sphere, compete or not, must necessarily radiate as much energy as it absorbs after it reaches some equilibrium temperature. (You could store it in batteries or kinetic storage, but you’d still need to radiate it after you use it for something useful.) One that makes good use of the energy will radiate it as infra-red or other low EM frequencies. So the signature of a Dyson sphere is an object that radiates as much energy as a star, but compressed into surprisingly low frequencies.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Here's an interesting thought.
If a race is building a Dyson sphere around a star we are observing, over a period of time it would fade and eventually disappear. Would we be able to work out what was happening, or just get baffled by this 'unknown astronomical phenomenon'.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Smivs wrote:
Here's an interesting thought.
If a race is building a Dyson sphere around a star we are observing, over a period of time it would fade and eventually disappear. Would we be able to work out what was happening, or just get baffled by this 'unknown astronomical phenomenon'.
Dyson spheres are big, and building them would be a long-term project. Not long-term like planting new trees in the town centre and watching them grow. Not long-term like placing the first stone for the chapel that will eventually be a cathedral. Not long-term like the Long Now Foundation’s ten thousand year clock. I mean serious business long term.

I rather doubt our civilization will exist long enough to be able to notice such a change.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ahruman wrote:
I rather doubt our civilization will exist long enough to be able to notice such a change.
Heh! Ever the optimist, eh?
It does raise the serious point though that a civilisation would have to be incredibly devoted to this sort of task and sufficiently stable over a long time to see it through. Probably why we don't see them.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

The great advantage of a Dyson sphere is that you don't need to keep buying bags ... :wink:

There's also the possibility of a matrioshka brain, as a variation on a Dyson sphere.
Kasero
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Rich Agricultural - Mainly Liquors/wines - Burgondy France

Post by Kasero »

I think, at the actual level of technology that is ours, if all countries would unite and make their whole wealth common, we could build some kind of energy collectors at the 2 main Lagrangian points on the Earth orbit. It would be already a titanic task, money speaking...
But for now, we have enough possibilities to build such "green" collectors on Earth itself, and that already would cost a lot.
But our actual level of starvation, energy-wise, is not enough yet to justify such work...
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Kasero wrote:
I think, at the actual level of technology that is ours, if all countries would unite and make their whole wealth common, we could build some kind of energy collectors at the 2 main Lagrangian points on the Earth orbit.
The problem would be running the extension cord back to Earth ... :) We could beam it back as a maser or something but that might be dangerous ... presumably such a maser would have to touch down at the poles. Adding an extra component of solar energy would almost certainly cause havoc with the weather.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

All this talk of Dyson brings to mind a really corny sci-fi novel I read years ago, wherein there was an alien race called the Dyson (I think).
It was so poor that the 'author' had had to self-publish it.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Disembodied wrote:
The problem would be running the extension cord back to Earth ...
<Smivs tries to imagine changing the fuse if it blew!>
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Commander McLane wrote:
… and invisible, one might add. :wink: (What do you want to detect from Earth, if the Dyson Sphere "harvests" the complete energy output of a star, meaning that nothing detectable would reach Earth?)
LMAO :lol: Excellent point.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I've just found this update on this story.