Shield charging in stations

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Shield charging in stations

Post by Lucidor »

There was a large thargoid attack near the station last night. Four thargoid warships had released all their thargons and made the scanner a red-green inferno. It didn't take long for them to deplete my shields, and all my ECM hardened missiles were used. I went to the station to buy some more, and when I came out again a few seconds later, my shields were fully loaded again!

Is this a bug or a feature? :^) It surely takes the edge off of he thargoid wars if you can dart in and out of the station to get fully loaded shields all the time.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Just another strategy to employ, a bit like "cleaning" your status for 800 credits using the Escape pod!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

good one that.... except that i need to do some more productive piracy - i've run out of cash for escape pods! usually i just shoot 'em up and am too lazy to pick up the cargo... :? one of the results of months or hard trading - being rich enough to not have to bother scooping :D
edible poet? onna stick?
themacman
Competent
Competent

Post by themacman »

hmmm when I bought my Python's shield booster it didn't start charging untill after I left the station and were certainly not full as soon as I got out...

is this just specific to buying shield boosters? I guess I've never been attacked just outside a station and never had thargoids attack me either, I've been playing for at least a month and I'm thinking more like two are Thargoid attacks just specific to the OXP?
B-räd

Mac OS X and Windows on the best machine, http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

I've been attacked by Thargoids without even any OXPs added (they attacked me on my first run). After that, I've been attacked by Thargoids twice, both times 2 of them at a time, also random encounters. Managed to survive them both, fortunately...
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

If you want more thargoids, install the Thargoid wars OXP.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

themacman wrote:
hmmm when I bought my Python's shield booster it didn't start charging untill after I left the station and were certainly not full as soon as I got out...
That suggests that you’re magically recharged when you enter the station, not when you leave. :-)
themacman
Competent
Competent

Post by themacman »

Well, yeah I've been attacked by Thargoids too, but just not at the station which seems to be what people talk about. Unless I've been reading posts wrong...
B-räd

Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

themacman wrote:
Well, yeah I've been attacked by Thargoids too, but just not at the station which seems to be what people talk about. Unless I've been reading posts wrong...
That's the Thargoid Wars for you... An OXP that you have to install, but which will not take effect until you jump to the second Galaxy.
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
themacman
Competent
Competent

Post by themacman »

I've seen the OXP, but I've debated on whether or not to install it, so just to make sure, Thargroid attacks can happen at a station, right (like while you're in it)? And secondly can those kinds of attacks happen without the OXP? Also if you're already in the second galaxy will it just automatically start?
B-räd

Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

It is extremely unlikely (if ever) to find thargoids near a station without the OXP. If the thargoids attack while you are in the station, a siren will go off.

Why don't you just try it out? It's easy enough to uninstall if you find that you don't like it.
Cmdr. Wombat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Cmdr. Wombat »

themacman wrote:
I've seen the OXP, but I've debated on whether or not to install it, so just to make sure, Thargroid attacks can happen at a station, right (like while you're in it)? And secondly can those kinds of attacks happen without the OXP? Also if you're already in the second galaxy will it just automatically start?
Station attacks can only happen if you have the oxp installed. They occur randomly with a fairly small probability. And yes, they occur while you are docked. You can choose to stay in the station and not fight the Thargoids if you like... The oxp also adds some other encounters with Thargoids - the premise is that the war with the Thargoids has intensified. The oxp adds Thargoids in all galaxies except the first - since you can encounter up to three Thargoids at once I thought it might be a bit tough on a new commander in the first galaxy. For every x number of Thargoid encounters generated by the oxp you get a small monetary award from the Intergalactic Navy. If you participate in enough encounters you can earn medals. Note that the various awards only arise from encounters generated by the oxp - you don't get credit for fighting the Thargoids generated at random by Oolite, or for the Thargoids in the Thargoid Plans mission that is built into Oolite.

As Lucidor said, you can always delete the oxp if you don't like it.
It is generally inadvisable to eject over the target you just bombed.
themacman
Competent
Competent

Post by themacman »

ok well it sounds better than I thought! I'm going to get it and I'm thinking I'll keeep it too, but just double checking if I'm in Galaxy two already it will work right, it would be a pretty ugly bug if not
B-räd

hungover
Average
Average

Post by hungover »

Thargoid wars is fantastic. u can up your kills too by shooting all the baby thargons afterwards. i love it. seems to have peetered out a bit now though, do you have to keep moving about the galaxy to encounter more?
dogs think they are human
cats think thay are god
Cmdr. Wombat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Cmdr. Wombat »

hungover wrote:
Thargoid wars is fantastic. u can up your kills too by shooting all the baby thargons afterwards. i love it. seems to have peetered out a bit now though, do you have to keep moving about the galaxy to encounter more?
Killing the Tharglets doesn't add to your credit towards the Naval awards, but it can be a good source of income if the bounty is greater than the going price at the local station.

If you stay in the one system you won't get any new encounters. You need to jump to another system in order for there to be a (small) chance of an encounter.
It is generally inadvisable to eject over the target you just bombed.