Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Communications... Past, Present and Future

Post by NigelJK »

No, it was a pizza oven!

Each slice allowed the addition of 2x eu card rear expansion, 1x3.5" drive slot and 1x5" drive slot. IIRC a maximum of 8 slices could be added (although no one ever produced a riser card for that many).
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

NigelJK wrote:
No, it was a pizza oven!

Each slice allowed the addition of 2x eu card rear expansion, 1x3.5" drive slot and 1x5" drive slot. IIRC a maximum of 8 slices could be added (although no one ever produced a riser card for that many).
It really is a neat concept, actually. Too bad that Acorns aren't manufactured any more (they had a long run it seems, but their going out of business must be analogous to TI or Commodore/Amiga in making a lot of geeks sad :) )
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Split from https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 15#p182606
CommRLock78 wrote:
Tricky wrote:
What can I say. Spent too much time on t'interweb back in the early 90's (and ever since). Would you believe my first website went live in early part of '94? :shock: Never thought about it until now.
Damn, that was a while ago now :D. I didn't get 'online' until '96 (my first website was first published in '97 or '98, on geocities), although by '94 I had definitely started to catch the computing bug - ah, the early and mid 90's, the days of DOS (and playing with a then 15 year old computer :mrgreen: ).
Earliest archive I can find. Even though the server was hosted at Manchester Computer Centre, I was studying at Preston University just up the road.
http://web.archive.org/web/199701100725 ... .uk/~rich/
I had a text version of my website for Image Lynx (web browser) in '94.
DaddyHoggy wrote:
I did a joint Honours in Physics and Computer Science '90-'94 - I definitely remember using "the internet" for at least part of researching my thesis (although I did a lot of scanning from books too) - but what I was searching the limited scope of what was the WWW in '94 with I cannot recall!

Pretty certain my email client was called something like "Pegasus" - which worked across Windows 3.11 and Unix (as we had both PCs and Sparcs and Alphas in computer labs (the VAX VMS terminals notwithstanding))
Hah! I remember Pegasus! It was deployed at DOS level over a Novell network at Preston Uni.
El Viejo wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
... but what I was searching the limited scope of what was the WWW in '94 with I cannot recall
I got my first home PC in '94... and I seem to remember using Magellan for searching.
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Looking at this page (itself ancient history - 2003): http://searchenginewatch.com/article/20 ... -Birthdays it's likely I used Yahoo and I definitely remember Webcrawler. I was certainly using Lycos when I started with the MOD in 1995 and Ask (Jeeves) was my engine of choice when I was working in the US in 1999 (Google would have only been a year old then)
CommRLock78 wrote:
Whilst I love hearing these anecdotes from days gone by, we should keep things on topic. Perhaps we should move the last few comments to here.
However, on the topic of search engines, by '98, yahoo was my preferred engine. It's funny to look back on the way it was in those days, quite quaint, really.
Webseeker -> AltaVista -> Lycos -> Yahoo -> Ask Jeeves -> Google. Never used Bing so far.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Tricky wrote:
Never used Bing so far.
Neither have I... it's smells too much like bill gates :lol:
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

There is only one Bing :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Smivs wrote:
There is only one Bing :)
We have lots in Scotland ...