Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Scripters cove

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Scripters cove

Post by Rese249er »

Aaand yet again I rip Okti's code for my nefarious purposes.

EDIT: Well... it's got some kinda functionality... GrappleBeamv0.2 is available for download... I'm really not sure how I managed to make it work with such limited effect...
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

You may also want to look at my cargo shepherd OXP, as that is also in a similar vein perhaps.
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

I'll take a look...
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

How do I check within a script whether any particular commodity is on the illegal goods list? Currently I have firearms, slaves and narcotics hard-coded in Trading Assistant, but like most things in Oolite the illegal goods list is easily re-configured.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Wildeblood wrote:
How do I check within a script whether any particular commodity is on the illegal goods list? Currently I have firearms, slaves and narcotics hard-coded in Trading Assistant, but like most things in Oolite the illegal goods list is easily re-configured.
I don't think it is exposed to Javascript, however if you look at the [EliteWiki] Illegal Goods Tweak OXP, specifically illegal_goods_tweak.js in the Scripts directory, you will get an idea as to how you could handle it.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Any chance of these 2 world script events?

Code: Select all

this.playerAttackedOther = function(other)
{
     // Your code here
}

this.playerFiredMissile = function(missile, target)
{
     // Your code here
}
Similar to shipAttackedOther and shipFiredMissile ship events.

Really difficult to work out if the player is actively in combat without these.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

shipAttackedOther will work in a worldScript, the wiki is confused/confusing in the way it lists playerShip events, some on the worldScripts page, some on the ship scripts page. See also:-
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12491
Tricky wrote:

if (player.alertHostiles)
One of the few player, not playerShip, properties.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Wildeblood wrote:
shipAttackedOther will work in a worldScript, the wiki is confused/confusing in the way it lists playerShip events, some on the worldScripts page, some on the ship scripts page. See also:-
Tricky wrote:

if (player.alertHostiles)
One of the few player, not playerShip, properties.
shipAttackedOther in the worldScript only triggers on NPC's attacking players. I've tried that method.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Tricky wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
shipAttackedOther ... See also:-
shipAttackedOther in the worldScript only triggers on NPC's attacking players. I've tried that method.
It worked for my death ray. Too well, in fact. I suspect you're thinking of shipBeingAttacked.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Tricky wrote:
Any chance of these 2 world script events?
Similar to shipAttackedOther and shipFiredMissile ship events.

It should be easy to copy the shipAttackedOther and shipFiredMissile ship events into the shipscript of the player. In that case they only will fire for the player :)

e.g.

player.ship.script.shipAttackedOther = ......
But, as Tricky writes, it can also be used in the worldscript.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Wildeblood wrote:
Tricky wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
shipAttackedOther ... See also:-
It worked for my death ray. Too well, in fact. I suspect you're thinking of shipBeingAttacked.
Ah yes. I stand corrected.

Still, the above suggested functions would be advantageous. There is a really un-helpful helpful AI message...

AGGRESSOR_SWITCHED_TARGET id1 id2
You can't even get the AI to trigger on it.

The only way I can think of checking for that is setting up a frame call-back and check the AI message state of the NPC.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Tricky wrote:
There is a really un-helpful helpful AI message...

AGGRESSOR_SWITCHED_TARGET id1 id2
You can't even get the AI to trigger on it.

The only way I can think of checking for that is setting up a frame call-back and check the AI message state of the NPC.
It's quite useful (and needed) for what it does, but it's not meant to trigger the AI. Think of it as an internal AI message. You cannot use it meaningfully, because the two ID numbers are part of the message, and there is no way in the world to foresee which unique IDs will be involved when the message is sent.
Rocketman
Poor
Poor

Post by Rocketman »

Hello! Is there possibility to access basic game propetries initialized in config .plist files (such as commodities.plist, for instance) by extention pack JS scripts? I walked trough Oolite JavaScript Reference but didn't find solution.

For example, AITradingAssistant OXP uses manually written prices. This makes it potentially incompatible with any other XPs wich modify commodities. I'am pretty sure that there may be a lot of other similar examples.

Isn't that good reason to make such global properties lists reachable by scripts? Or that is already done and I simply didn't find it in manuals?

P.S. english is not my native language, so I'am sorry for any incovenience caused... :)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, Rocketman, and first of all welcome to the Friendliest Board This Side Of Riedquat™!

Indeed, most of the properties defined in the various plists are exposed to the JS-scripting engine. There are a few exceptions, mainly because something hasn't been implemented yet. Unfortunately, commodities.plist is among these exceptions.

You can, however, access the cargo currently carried by the player via the Image Manifest-object.
Rocketman wrote:
For example, AITradingAssistant OXP uses manually written prices. This makes it potentially incompatible with any other XPs wich modify commodities.
This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though. As far as I understand, the AITradingAssistant is specifically written for the default price ranges in main stations. Thus, it cannot be expected to be compatible with OXPs that change the default price ranges in main stations. I am not aware of any OXP that changes this default, anyway.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Rocketman wrote:
Hello! Is there possibility to access basic game propetries initialized in config .plist files (such as commodities.plist, for instance) by extention pack JS scripts? I walked trough Oolite JavaScript Reference but didn't find solution.

For example, AITradingAssistant OXP uses manually written prices. This makes it potentially incompatible with any other XPs wich modify commodities. I'am pretty sure that there may be a lot of other similar examples.

Isn't that good reason to make such global properties lists reachable by scripts? Or that is already done and I simply didn't find it in manuals?

P.S. english is not my native language, so I'am sorry for any incovenience caused... :)
Most (but not all) of the properties in shipdata.plist and planetinfo.plist can be accessed by scripts. Most of the rest of the configuration is hidden. That's just the way it is. :(