Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Multiplayer: Dog-Fight and MMOPG

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Draconic74 wrote:
I have one question only (for now). has anybody thought about time differences?
They are entirely arbitrary and can be gotten rid of with a deft application of pressing 'dd' a few times in Vim.
Spooky
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Spooky »

Sorry it's been a while since I last posted but projects over ran slightly and I needed a bit of downtime ;)

Anyway...
I have one question only (for now). has anybody thought about time differences? I havent been able to read this entire discussion, but i think nobody has mentioned that it takes time to get from point A to point B. however, this applies only to witchspace jumps. in oolite it auto-adjusts, but what would happen on an internet version. 90 LY jumps would take hours, but what about Galactic jumps? nobody wants to have to stop playing for 2 weeks just to get to Galaxy 2.
From myself in another thread...
We want to keep the depth of the current gameplay, this may mean slight variations to the timing system, especially for things like passanger runs and witchspace jumps. I don't think trivialising things like new ships and upgrades will make too much difference to game balance, and I'm pretty sure a few ships trading goods wouldn't effect the entire economy of a world. The key emphasis would be gameplay, canonical arguments will no doubt arise but provided we keep things consistent and realtime I think we can reach a workable solution to most problems.
We're looking at switching all time critical game elements from the current abstracted time system to a realtime system. Instead of 18 days to traverse the galaxy on a passenger run you'll have a finite amount of realtime. Jumps will still take time, but they'll take realtime not simulated weeks. So you could end up with a mission time limit of 15 minutes instead of weeks. All we're doing is changing the reference point not the concept of urgency.Of course this is not canonical but we're working on maintaining a fun game not a mathmatically accurate simulation. With this in mind galactic jumps can be assigned an abitrary time duration that seems consitant with the rest of the model. I can't tell you what that is because we're nowhere near that point in the project yet, but it's a pretty fair bet that we'd be considering tens of seconds instead of weeks. :)
Spooky
www.int13h.com
Evil Genius

The most merciful thing in all the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of its contents.
toejoe
Poor
Poor

Post by toejoe »

Multiplayer oolite would be hughe evolution in elite games. Implementing such feature would need great resources, servers, etc... I have idea how to start whole thing. There should be one planet in universe, which would be reachable from all galaxies. And it might be called Online :) So, when someone wanted to witchspace to Online, he must have internet connection available, and there we all could meet eachother ;) This might be first oolite evolution step to mmoolite :) Maybe only one server could maintain this scenario?
Cheers!
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Spooky wrote:
Sorry it's been a while since I last posted but projects over ran slightly and I needed a bit of downtime ;)
Join the club! I hope the Fsckup Fairy didn't visit you like she did us.

Good to see you back again!
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

Draconic74 wrote:
I have one question only (for now). has anybody thought about time differences? I havent been able to read this entire discussion, but i think nobody has mentioned that it takes time to get from point A to point B. however, this applies only to witchspace jumps. in oolite it auto-adjusts, but what would happen on an internet version. 90 LY jumps would take hours, but what about Galactic jumps? nobody wants to have to stop playing for 2 weeks just to get to Galaxy 2.
So long as you are using the latest 'folding space' technology for your hyperdrive system, arrival should be near instantaneous! 8)