Demo ships consistently unlit

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

winston
Pirate
Pirate

Demo ships consistently unlit

Post by winston »

For quite a while now, and with the latest SVN release (running Linux) the 'demo ships' (rotating at the start of the game and during the Load/Save screens and the shipyard) are unlit. It is entirely consistent - they are just never lit.

Anyone else seeing this in the latest Linux dev release or nightly build? Other builds? (Win32/Mac?)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Mac head is fine.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

I have been changing the lighting, it's very possible that the changes have not been translated into the SDL version. Possibly something to do with how the lights are set up when the GL context is initialised???
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Flying_Circus
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Flying_Circus »

I'm seeing very dimly-lit models, but not totally unlit. This is on 32-bit Linux using a build I last rsync'ed on Sunday or Monday (I think). Tiddly PCI-based Nvidia graphhics card, FWIW.
And so I gave myself to God. There was a pregnant pause before He said "OK"
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

aegidian wrote:
I have been changing the lighting, it's very possible that the changes have not been translated into the SDL version. Possibly something to do with how the lights are set up when the GL context is initialised???
Hmm. This is quite possible, especially if the changes were in src/Cocoa. (MyOpenGLView at all? I'll have to look at the recent changes).
Flying_Circus
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Flying_Circus »

Okay, here's my input (FWIW); rsync'ing up to the latest build, I see the ships in demoships.plist zoom in, but they seem to zoom wa-a-ay in, into the -z axis of my field of view (or not view, in this case ;) i.e. behind my field of view), I then glimpse them as they fly backwards towards the origin as they zoom out. This happens for ship after ship. Could this be a matter of scale?
EDIT: Could this be related to the rotated docking bays problem? If so, could it also be related to my suspicions about the 'inverted quaternions problem'. If so, am I right in I thinking it may be symptom of a wider problem with the rendering maths, WRT quaternions/zooming/etc. I haven't time to look at source code, tonight, but this looks like it could all be interrelated. Am I wrong?
And so I gave myself to God. There was a pregnant pause before He said "OK"
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Flying_Circus wrote:
Okay, here's my input (FWIW); rsync'ing up to the latest build, I see the ships in demoships.plist zoom in, but they seem to zoom wa-a-ay in, into the -z axis of my field of view (or not view, in this case ;) i.e. behind my field of view), I then glimpse them as they fly backwards towards the origin as they zoom out. This happens for ship after ship. Could this be a matter of scale?
EDIT: Could this be related to the rotated docking bays problem? If so, could it also be related to my suspicions about the 'inverted quaternions problem'. If so, am I right in I thinking it may be symptom of a wider problem with the rendering maths, WRT quaternions/zooming/etc. I haven't time to look at source code, tonight, but this looks like it could all be interrelated. Am I wrong?
No, neither of those are related to the lighting problem.

The first should have been cured, but may still be a problem if you have a low frame rate (because the granularity of the position change may be too big to detect when the ship nears the correct viewing position).

The docking bays problem will be sorted out for standard Oolite ships. Some OXPs that use the standard Oolite docking bay may have to be updated OR Oolite stations could use an updated docking bay and I could keep the old one to keep the OXPs from failing (option two Giles, option two!).
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

option two Giles, option two..
The man next to you is your lunch