Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

artificial gravity

Post by commanderxairon »

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/r ... algrav.php

( i love that site)

they have lots of problems with spinning sections on ships and space stations and they are utterly right here is my idea... a standart electromagnetic device on suits and ship's floors

yeah electromagnetic shoes that put you in the floor but that doesn't necesarly avoid ALL the ingravity damage on the body and that's because of the lack of a simillar thing over shoulders and arms, they will pull down the body compressing it and so making the arms and torso muscles to work they could be deactivated at will when BRUTAL strenght are needed or even strenght them to do exersise what do you guys think?
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: artificial gravity

Post by Rese249er »

Variable magnetism = weight-training...
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

commanderxairon wrote:
That is a cool site. It seems like using EM fields has been done before, though I don't recall what TV show/Movie I saw it in. I honestly think that spinning probably is going to be the easiest way to simulate gravity, but then, this is force that we barely have an understanding of now. We know EM rather well, with Maxwell's four equations - all we have for gravity is the same one equation that Newton came up with 400 years ago. If we really understood gravity, we'd likely have more technology that harnessed it - such as "electromagnagravitics" :P.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

CommRLock78 wrote:
commanderxairon wrote:
That is a cool site. It seems like using EM fields has been done before, though I don't recall what TV show/Movie I saw it in. I honestly think that spinning probably is going to be the easiest way to simulate gravity, but then, this is force that we barely have an understanding of now. We know EM rather well, with Maxwell's four equations - all we have for gravity is the same one equation that Newton came up with 400 years ago. If we really understood gravity, we'd likely have more technology that harnessed it - such as "electromagnagravitics" :P.
Star Trek: First Contact - Picard and Worf disabling the deflector dish so it can't be used by the Borg. (Their magnetic boots)

As for "electromagnagravitics" - :shock: Are we in hand wavium territory for coming up with names?
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Tricky wrote:
Star Trek: First Contact - Picard and Worf disabling the deflector dish so it can't be used by the Borg. (Their magnetic boots)
That's definitely one place I would have seen them - great movie.
Tricky wrote:
As for "electromagnagravitics" - :shock: Are we in hand wavium territory for coming up with names?
Precisely :lol: . (And to demonstrate how very little we know about this property of the universe).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

Post by commanderxairon »

also suits could have a limited work time of the shoulder devices and the feet devices atracting themselves and so allowing to the user to work on a zero G enviroment with much less damage, let's say you are a cargo clerk on a anaconda and suddenly 2 tonnes of soda pops break out of his containers and you an the rest of the crew are called to clean the mess... that's some hours of work over there, and considering that you need to jump on between the rest of the containers collecting the pops it is better to disable the gravity and jump lots of other work on a ship would be easyer without gravity so this wouldnt be a unusual situation so this feature could also be of much use but im afraid that it implies also that the soles of the suits and the suits themselves should be orthopedic and very ergonomic and made in the measure of the user, so you could not find 2 equal suits once someone uses them they would adjust to their body... o.o
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Anyone found a bosun recently? Doesn't all that mean that the Higgs field likely exists and one of the ramifications of that and the ability to manipulate it is infinite acceleration and artificial gravity? Not that I'm a physicist but I thought that was why they are pouring more money in to the research than Idi Amin spent on hats :?:
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Greyth wrote:
Anyone found a bosun recently? Doesn't all that mean that the Higgs field likely exists and one of the ramifications of that and the ability to manipulate it is infinite acceleration and artificial gravity? Not that I'm a physicist but I thought that was why they are pouring more money in to the research than Idi Amin spent on hats :?:
When I saw "bosun" in the first sentance I thought you were asking about a lost sailor. :oops:
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

That'll be bosun Higgs Tricky. Sad story.. he went sleep walking on deck one night and all we heard was a splash and someone yelling what sounded like 'bucket' :roll:
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Greyth wrote:
That'll be bosun Higgs Tricky. Sad story.. he went sleep walking on deck one night and all we heard was a splash and someone yelling what sounded like 'bucket' :roll:
:lol: Tripped over a cyclotron and created a black-hole. :wink:
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Dammit, there are NO original ideas left in the world.

I've had a take on a "gravitomagnetic drive" for some time. I trust you lot, so I'm going to reveal something secret. And very work in progress. But the actual linked page is pretty much static for the moment.

Keep it safe and keep it secret...
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Selezen wrote:
Dammit, there are NO original ideas left in the world.

I've had a take on a "gravitomagnetic drive" for some time. I trust you lot, so I'm going to reveal something secret. And very work in progress. But the actual linked page is pretty much static for the moment.

Keep it safe and keep it secret...
Interesting! Heat could be a real problem, though. Space is indeed very very cold, but vacuum is a marvellous insulator. Surface area is what you'd need, I think: some sort of folded fractal superconducting surface that can unfurl in the shadows.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Disembodied wrote:
Interesting! Heat could be a real problem, though. Space is indeed very very cold, but vacuum is a marvellous insulator. Surface area is what you'd need, I think: some sort of folded fractal superconducting surface that can unfurl in the shadows.
Fractal surfaces aren’t very useful in space either, since radiated heat that hits another part of the surface will be reabsorbed without any loss by convection. I believe that if two surfaces subtend the same area projected onto a sphere around the ship, they’ll have about the same effect regardless of how wrinkly they are.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Ahruman wrote:
Fractal surfaces aren’t very useful in space either, since radiated heat that hits another part of the surface will be reabsorbed without any loss by convection. I believe that if two surfaces subtend the same area projected onto a sphere around the ship, they’ll have about the same effect regardless of how wrinkly they are.
Hum ... true. Maybe the ship could project a wing of very long superconducting ribbons into its own shadow? it would make spinning the ship difficult, but if the drive could provide constant acceleration then you could get your gravity that way. All this would mean that operating the ship would become easier and easier the further out from the sun you went.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Disembodied wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
...if the drive could provide constant acceleration then you could get your gravity that way. All this would mean that operating the ship would become easier and easier the further out from the sun you went.
That's the principle on which many ships in Traveller and Megatraveller rely on for artificial gravity. They accelerate facing "forward" then decelerate with the ship facing the other way.

Arrival Vengeance was one Megatraveller supplement that mentioned this method. Very good it was too.