Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[IDEA] Docking Bay Doors?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[IDEA] Docking Bay Doors?

Post by Pleb »

Just had an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if this is possible...

In Frontier and FFE if you wanted to dock at a space station you had to request docking clearence because they had doors on the docking bay. I know you can have stations in Oolite that can be set to require docking clearence, but would it be possible to make it so that the station had these docking bay doors, and when you gain clearence they open?
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: [IDEA] Docking Bay Doors?

Post by Eric Walch »

Pleb wrote:
Just had an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if this is possible...

In Frontier and FFE if you wanted to dock at a space station you had to request docking clearence because they had doors on the docking bay. I know you can have stations in Oolite that can be set to require docking clearence, but would it be possible to make it so that the station had these docking bay doors, and when you gain clearence they open?
Yes and no. Look at the Dredgers.oxp. Those ships have doors in front of the dock and those open when requesting docking clearance.

The only problem is that Oolite let you fly through any obstacle in front of the dock. At least when that obstacle is part of the ship, like the used door subentities. So effectively you can ignore the doors and fly through it :D

The only way to circumvent this, is by making the doors as a separate entity and let is hover in front of the dock. Thargoid wrote a mission with such a door in it. (Any further info about this door would be a spoiler :wink: )
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Hmm, so in effect you'd have to hail the doors and request docking clearence then, not the station? :lol: I haven't got the Dredger installed (not sure why though, I used to I'm sure) but I will check that out. And Thargoid's door? I will have to find out which OXP that is... :wink:

Was just a thought, as I know the Rock Hermit that Griff made looks like it should have a door on it and there are a few other stations that would look good with docking doors... :|
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Pleb wrote:
And Thargoid's door? I will have to find out which OXP that is... :wink:
[EliteWiki] TCAT
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I imagine that the biggest problem would be that if stations had functional (non-flyable-through) doors, they could refuse entry to Fugitives.. and then where would we be? (and EV especially :mrgreen: )
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

[voice="Michael Caine"]You could always blow the bloody doors off...[/voice]

:P :wink:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Thargoid wrote:
[voice=Michael Caine]You could always blow the bloody doors off...[/voice]
Exactly what I was thinking, TMA. Just wait 'til the Federation of Elite Pilots gets to hear about it!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Save Anywhere would then be an essential.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Bazabaza
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Bazabaza »

How about a force field like in start trek. A very thin entity covering the door that would disappear when permission granted. saves an annimation?
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Bazabaza wrote:
How about a force field like in start trek. A very thin entity covering the door that would disappear when permission granted. saves an annimation?
Do it with a big flasher inside the station. :wink:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

It would certainly be good if something could somehow obscure or darken the docking bay just before an npc ship docks, which would avoid the effect of the ship just vanishing in front of your eyes.