Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Suggestions

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Draco_Caeles
Dangerous
Dangerous

Suggestions

Post by Draco_Caeles »

Something that I have noticed is that there doesn't seem to be a repeat on the Stock Market screen for when you're buying/selling goods. Could one be implemented, or even a way (Ctrl-crsr, perhaps) of buying/selling all the stock available, to the limit of one's cargo hold? My wrist is getting tired from all this tapping :)

Although I've been playing Oolite only for a short time, I've thought of a few things that I think would be very good to have in:

* Laser cooling booster. I've noticed that the Military Laser overheats like an Old English Sheepdog in the Sahara in July and takes almost as long to cool down. It might be good to have a laser cooling system that would increase the dT. Perhaps even have different levels of cooling (heatsink, water, freon, LN2) for different users.

* Yaw boosters. While roll/pitch is fine, the number of times I'm just ever so slightly off line and have longed to be able to yaw to correct my line of flight. This could be a shipyard item.

* Full-motion control/fly-by-wire. This rather came out of the yaw booster idea. I was wondering if it would be [possible|feasible|a good idea at all] to have a hugely expensive system with which you could control the flight of the ship fully. So there would be, say, four attitude jets on the upper and lower faces of the ship, and two on the other four sides (assuming the ship is a 'flying brick' as in the ship building tutorial). Learning to fly that sort of craft using keyboard control would be an utter bear, of course, but think of the acrobatics you could do... :D

* MOtion USher technology. If anybody remembers old Arc Elite around here, it was controlled using the mouse (mous, in-game), which was a very nifty thing indeed. The Arc, of course, had three buttons on its mouse, which mapped to fire, slow down and speed up... it made fights so much easier :)

* Extensible cargo bays. I wondered if the cargo bay extension was a flat figure or a percentage expansion on the base tonnage, and it seems to be the former. It occurred to me that if you wanted to extend, say, an Acaconda's cargo bay... well, an extra 15t on a 750t bay is pretty silly :) Is it possible to make the extension a percentage of the tonnage of the ship instead? (Based on the Cobra Mk III, 20t -> 35t, it would be an extra 75%.) Or perhaps even go the X-universe way of extending and extending, up to a point.

The last idea continues in thoughts about the stock market, but I think I'd better stop here and save some other techy ideas as well. I can feel the barrels and sights of innumerable military lasers pointed in my direction... I'm too young to be an expanding cloud of incandescent gas!
Galileo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Suggestions

Post by Galileo »

Draco_Caeles wrote:
Something that I have noticed is that there doesn't seem to be a repeat on the Stock Market screen for when you're buying/selling goods. Could one be implemented, or even a way (Ctrl-crsr, perhaps) of buying/selling all the stock available, to the limit of one's cargo hold? My wrist is getting tired from all this tapping :)
Try pressing enter. :D
Draco_Caeles wrote:
* Laser cooling booster. I've noticed that the Military Laser overheats like an Old English Sheepdog in the Sahara in July and takes almost as long to cool down. It might be good to have a laser cooling system that would increase the dT. Perhaps even have different levels of cooling (heatsink, water, freon, LN2) for different users.
This has been thoroughly discussed before, have a search through the suggestions forum.
Eat talking tree, food blenders!
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

well,
Draco_Caeles wrote:
unless there is some fault in your build, hitting return/enter should do just this.. :shock:
Draco_Caeles wrote:
Laser cooling booster. I've noticed that the Military Laser overheats like an Old English Sheepdog in the Sahara in July..
many threads here on this one. doesn't seem likely to happen.
Draco_Caeles wrote:
Yaw boosters. While roll/pitch is fine, the number of times I'm just ever so slightly off line and have longed to be able to yaw to correct my line of flight. This could be a shipyard item.
some threads on this too. Giles feels we have too few fingers.
Draco_Caeles wrote:
Extensible cargo bays. I wondered if the cargo bay extension was a flat figure or a percentage expansion on the base tonnage, and it seems to be the former..
no. neither. it used to be a fixed 15, but is now a number determined in a ship's shipdata under <key>extra_cargo</key>.
The man next to you is your lunch
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Draco_Caeles wrote:
* MOtion USher technology. If anybody remembers old Arc Elite around here, it was controlled using the mouse (mous, in-game), which was a very nifty thing indeed. The Arc, of course, had three buttons on its mouse, which mapped to fire, slow down and speed up... it made fights so much easier :)
There's mouse support in full-screen mode. Press shift+M. Left mouse button fires lasers, right-button centres the controls.
Draco_Caeles wrote:
* Extensible cargo bays. I wondered if the cargo bay extension was a flat figure or a percentage expansion on the base tonnage, and it seems to be the former. It occurred to me that if you wanted to extend, say, an Acaconda's cargo bay... well, an extra 15t on a 750t bay is pretty silly :) Is it possible to make the extension a percentage of the tonnage of the ship instead? (Based on the Cobra Mk III, 20t -> 35t, it would be an extra 75%.) Or perhaps even go the X-universe way of extending and extending, up to a point.
It used to be a fixed figure, now the figure can be varied in the shipdata.plist entry from the ship by specifying extra_cargo. Ships will vary as to how much under-used hull space can be recovered for cargo.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Draco_Caeles
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Draco_Caeles »

I'll just crawl under this rock for a bit, shall I?... :oops:

*crawlcrawl* *hide*
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Hey, I didn't know about the enter/return key function in the stock market screen, so if there should be shame in asking, then I'll be right under the next rock from yours for _not_ having asked! :)
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Draco_Caeles
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Draco_Caeles »

Murgh wrote:
well,
Draco_Caeles wrote:
Yaw boosters. While roll/pitch is fine, the number of times I'm just ever so slightly off line and have longed to be able to yaw to correct my line of flight. This could be a shipyard item.
some threads on this too. Giles feels we have too few fingers.
How many fingers do you need? I use my right hand for flight control and my left for everything else. What's wrong with using the Insert-PgDn block of keys, with Insert being Yaw right and PgUp Yaw left?... Fine, so that's a possibility of 3 keys at once. Well, I don't know about you but I have 4 fingers and a thumb on my right hand...

If I could manage to code it I would, and if it then turned out to be a bad idea I'd come back and admit it, and then try to think of something else. But I can't, because I don't know how (yet).

But anyway, I'm a newbie and obviously I don't know anything. Here, look, I'm peeking out from under my stone again, just waiting to be slapped down!...
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

I know my keyboard has a different layout than yours..

you could see an older discussion about this:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=yaw
The man next to you is your lunch