WTF are you talking about?
29%

Total votes: 7

Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oolite Text-based Roleplay

Post by Rese249er »

Not sure if anyone has any experience with forums that offer roleplaying; however, I think something along those lines would be a nice addition to the bb for those of us that a: want the interactivity of MMO without necessarily having the complete rewrite it would take; and b: are literately inclined.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Oolite Text-based Roleplay

Post by Smivs »

Option 3. :wink:

I have no idea what you are describing....could you explain a bit more about what you are suggesting?
</dim mode>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Some buggy planet at the edge of the known universe

Post by DredgerMan »

Rese249er wrote:
Not sure if anyone has any experience with forums that offer roleplaying; however, I think something along those lines would be a nice addition to the bb for those of us that a: want the interactivity of MMO without necessarily having the complete rewrite it would take; and b: are literately inclined.
Are you perchance talking about something like a play by email (Pbem) game only based on forum use rather than sending emails?
Flying The Sizzlin' Suzie VI, a trusty and venerable Boa Class Cruiser in Oolite 1.84 on

under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit
with a Geforce GT610 videocard
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

I hope your not suggesting something like Cosplay or LARP or the great Giles forbid, "Yiffing". :|
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

DredgerMan wrote:
Are you perchance talking about something like a play by email (Pbem) game only based on forum use rather than sending emails?
Not familiar with pbem, but that sounds about right.
Tricky wrote:
I hope your not suggesting something like Cosplay or LARP or the great Giles forbid, "Yiffing". :|
Urk! :shock:
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

To give a more detailed description of the concept for those who don't roleplay, one forum denizen will create a story and tell it whilst other forum members take on the part of characters in that story. We're all old enough here to remember when Dungeons and Dragons was popular. It's basically that.

I've done it before and it's quite fun. How do you intent to make skill rolls or are you going to use a "diceless" system?
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

So, a sort of multiplayer version of this?
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/text/index.htm

Is that what you mean Rese249er? :?
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Geraldine wrote:
So, a sort of multiplayer version of this?
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/text/index.htm

Is that what you mean Rese249er? :?
Kinda.
Selezen wrote:
To give a more detailed description of the concept for those who don't roleplay, one forum denizen will create a story and tell it whilst other forum members take on the part of characters in that story. We're all old enough here to remember when Dungeons and Dragons was popular. It's basically that.

I've done it before and it's quite fun. How do you intent to make skill rolls or are you going to use a "diceless" system?
I've never played a text-based RP with dice. Any time I've played it's been more of a cooperative adventure, where any overpowered or invincible characters would be called out by the members and subsequently fly right or banhammer.

Edit: To put it another way, it's like a collaborative Oofic, where each author writes the reaction of their character/s in response to the last few posts, and NPCs are either controlled by a moderator or all of the posters as befits a proper engaging storyline.

Here's an example, based on the Left 4 Dead video game series.
Squeek
Competent
Competent

Post by Squeek »

An E/OOlite-based MUSH would be AWESOME, but when everyone has their own personal ooniverse, it can be difficult to reconcile differing ideas into one coherent thing.

Oh, and I had inordinate amounts of fun with text-based elite for some reason. Probably because I'm the boring kind of person that plays things like geopolitical and managerial sims.
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Ah, but the roleplayer could have any equipment on his ship. The only difference being that moderators would make sure it didn't get out of hand.