Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Why is the Python such a fine ship for traders?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Some buggy planet at the edge of the known universe

Why is the Python such a fine ship for traders?

Post by DredgerMan »

Hi all,

this thread is for those that like/love to fly the Python.

If you are one of those than lets use this space to educate those that don't about the many benefits of using one of these aging but still sturdy space vessels.

As a by the by lets hear your thoughts about the best version, graphical display and best equipment to have for one.

To start off, I love the Python because it is a core ship, rugged, cheap, has a large cargobay and is a damn fine ship to fly in.

I've just been into a multi-gov world, got attacked by about 20 pirates (luckily not all at once :) ), and had during the ensuing battles 12 hardheads lobbed at me (again luckily not all at once :D . Two of them fell to continued ECM use (which I could keep using because of the many energy banks) and the remaining 10 I took on the shields (shield boosters were equiped). The most damage I received from one was one shield gone, 7% of the ironhide removed and the loss of one ton of computers.

I had bought up all technical goods from the previous station, which meant I had about 20 ton space left (a cargobay extension does help) so I could also scoop up 7 escape pods and sift through the dumped pods for the triangular pods since they seem to be more likely to contain precious metals and gems.

And that was only the second run I made with the good old lady.

Finely I think the rendering of the Neolite Python makes the ship look like it's sleek, slippery and dangerous. That is definitely my favourite graphical version.

Anyway, who else wants to assist all those traders out there with re-educating them about the many benefits of flying the best trader this side of Riedquat?

EDIT due to slight mis-remembrance of the events.
Flying The Sizzlin' Suzie VI, a trusty and venerable Boa Class Cruiser in Oolite 1.84 on

under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit
with a Geforce GT610 videocard
S-P
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Why is the Python such a fine ship for traders?

Post by S-P »

I agree that it tends to get overlooked, especially because of it's slow speed. I must admit that I only had one for a short time until I could get the Boa. :? But there are a couple of good OXP versions, the clipper and cruiser versions which does improve on the the speed. I guess the biggest downside for me was the really slow rate of turn, which for me made it impossible to keep the pirates at bay (not very good with side and back weapons). :oops:
DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Some buggy planet at the edge of the known universe

Post by DredgerMan »

One thing the Python definitely is not, is a fighter. :D

But I can keep my own by staying back and use long range fire to take them out where possible. Of course it does mean using the aft laser as well when the front one gets overheated and it is a feeling you have to get used to because the pitch and yaw will be different. As you I do not use the side laser mounts. In fact I can't remember when I last bought weapons for those.

I just (try to) stay calm, kill the speed and target those pirates that are actually firing on me before engaging the others. And it's working pretty well. That is, once you get the hang of targetting with the aft. :)
Flying The Sizzlin' Suzie VI, a trusty and venerable Boa Class Cruiser in Oolite 1.84 on

under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit
with a Geforce GT610 videocard
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Before my computer shat on me, I was flying a Python Commander with fore and aft milspec lasers, as well as milspec injectors and a Q-charger. It was definitely capable of holding its own.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Amaranth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Amaranth »

If you can make it stick, I guess a Python is pretty good for ramming pirates also.
On a break
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Lol. *remembers at least five or six sideswipe finishers in dogfights*
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
S-P
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by S-P »

Amaranth wrote:
If you can make it stick, I guess a Python is pretty good for ramming pirates also.
Or a lot of the time they ram you when you are flying a big slow ship. :lol: