List of Planets used in OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: List of modified planetinfo.plists

Post by Pleb »

Smivs wrote:
That depends on the circumstances really...for example if their destruction precedes the players' visit to them and this is going to be enshrined in planetinfo.plist then 'Yes'. Obviously I'd suggest you refer to the list (when it exists) to make sure you're not destroying planets other people have used :wink:
They will 'cease to exist' after the player has visited them, and yes this list will ensure that the planets chosen for 'demolition' are not ones currently being used by other OXPs. :twisted:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Pleb wrote:
They will 'cease to exist' after the player has visited them, and yes this list will ensure that the planets chosen for 'demolition' are not ones currently being used by other OXPs. :twisted:
<Smivs looks forward to Pleb's 'Vogon' OXP> :P
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Pleb wrote:
Smivs wrote:
That depends on the circumstances really...for example if their destruction precedes the players' visit to them and this is going to be enshrined in planetinfo.plist then 'Yes'. Obviously I'd suggest you refer to the list (when it exists) to make sure you're not destroying planets other people have used :wink:
Nothing is true. Everything is permissible. So long as you use the correct techniques. By co-incidence I was asking about "novating" (novafying? novizing?) systems myself just a fortnight ago:-

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=690

This is reversible. So it's perfectly okay to destroy systems during a mission (to prevent the player backtracking, presumably), provided that when the mission is completely concluded you clean up after yourself.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Wildeblood wrote:
Nothing is true. Everything is permissible.
Isn't that: "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted"? :P

Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Wildeblood wrote:
This is reversible. So it's perfectly okay to destroy systems during a mission (to prevent the player backtracking, presumably), provided that when the mission is completely concluded you clean up after yourself.
In UPS is changing the description of the main planet for the slave mission. After success (or leaving the galaxy), the description is reset however. The planet is a random multi-government system, so no point in adding it to the list. :)

There is however a rare mission were you must bring ***** to a planet. When not, the whole planet turns into anarchy. You get a second change to correct this. Failing again will leave it a permanent anarchy :evil:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

OK, I've made a start on the Wiki page here.
It is just a basic table at the moment containing the data from this thread only, and you will see a lot of information still needs to be confirmed on the entries which are there.
Please feel free to fill in the gaps, add other planets that you know are affected by OXP, or add details of your own OXPs.
Also, any suggestions as to how the page can be improved are welcome.
Now I've made a start on this, I'll back off a bit because I have plenty of other projects ongoing which need my time. As I've hinted already I don't see this as a personal 'pet project', but rather as a community project that deserves full community involvement.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

I may need to wait till people have updated the Galaxy 8 planets so I know which ones I can, as Wildeblood put, '"temporarilly" incinerate', as so not to step on others toes... :twisted:

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I see cim has already added some info to the table...thanks for that :)
Is there a case for another column detailing the planets which have been affected by scripting rather than by a planetinfo.plist? Would this be helpful?
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Smivs wrote:
Is there a case for another column detailing the planets which have been affected by scripting rather than by a planetinfo.plist? Would this be helpful?
That would be more applicable for what I have in mind for Galaxy 8. (And maybe other Galaxies...) :twisted:

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Smivs wrote:
I see cim has already added some info to the table...thanks for that :)
Yes, I think so. Possibly also useful for another column just marking "featured in mission". For example, the Tionisla Reporter OXP includes the system of - spoiler :wink: - Tionisla. It doesn't add anything as such to the system, or change the details, but it should be considered a hint that other OXPs should not blow the entire system up, or make other "unsociable" changes.

Incidentally, I wrote a little mapping tool that produces "highlighted system" galactic charts so that I could check trade route balance for New Cargoes, so once the page gets a bit more complete I'll go through and make those up. Should give people a nice visual way to look for parts of the galaxy no-one's written about yet.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

cim wrote:
also useful for another column just marking "featured in mission". For example, the Tionisla Reporter OXP includes the system of - spoiler :wink: - Tionisla. It doesn't add anything as such to the system, or change the details, but it should be considered a hint that other OXPs should not blow the entire system up, or make other "unsociable" changes.
Agreed. Something like Xeptatl's Sword makes use of dozens of planets around the eight without 'affecting' them, but as you say it would be nice if they were left in peace. :)
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Smivs wrote:
Agreed. Something like Xeptatl's Sword makes use of dozens of planets around the eight without 'affecting' them, but as you say it would be nice if they were left in peace. :)
This is why I need this list before I can decide which planets are scheduled for demolition going to be in my new OXP. Oh and I promise not to mess with Xeptatl's Sword or any other OXP planets... :twisted:

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Extra columns added to tables now to cover changes by js and 'featured' planets. Intro amended to reflect this change.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Two comments:

1) Is there any point in listing the galaxy in the planet number box, given that it's sorted by galaxy anyway? Just for clarity purposes.

2) It may be an opportune place to suggest also the use of the expansions I mentioned on the previous page of this thread. That gets around most of the objectionable issues with changing planet names that can happen if planet names are hard-coded into mission screens etc.

Also as a random thought, would it be an idea to suggest the trunk Nova mission gets locked down to a specific system, to prevent it messing up missions etc in G4? (and so perhaps prevent security guards turning up for olympic work ;) )
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Thargoid wrote:
Also as a random thought, would it be an idea to suggest the trunk Nova mission gets locked down to a specific system, to prevent it messing up missions etc in G4? (and so perhaps prevent security guards turning up for olympic work ;) )
Or at least restricting the event to a set of systems. Are there any restrictions at the moment? Because a nova event at either #7, Bien, or #11, Teceteis, could cut off a whole corner of the map.