Military Laser almost here - 500 Terawatt laser developed

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Military Laser almost here - 500 Terawatt laser developed

Post by Diziet Sma »

Fifteen years of work by the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory's National Ignition Facility (NIF) team paid off on July 5 with a historic record-breaking laser shot. The NIF laser system of 192 beams delivered more than 500 trillion watts (terawatts or TW) of peak power and 1.85 megajoules (MJ) of ultraviolet laser light to its target. Five hundred terawatts is 1,000 times more power than the United States uses at any instant in time, and 1.85 megajoules of energy is about 100 times what any other laser regularly produces today.
http://phys.org/news/2012-07-nif-histor ... -shot.html
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Military Laser almost here - 500 Terawatt laser develope

Post by Pleb »

Now all they need to do is shrink it down to this size and all of humanity will have to bow before me:

:twisted:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Fifteen years of work by the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory's National Ignition Facility (NIF) team paid off on July 5 with a historic record-breaking laser shot. The NIF laser system of 192 beams delivered more than 500 trillion watts (terawatts or TW) of peak power and 1.85 megajoules (MJ) of ultraviolet laser light to its target. Five hundred terawatts is 1,000 times more power than the United States uses at any instant in time, and 1.85 megajoules of energy is about 100 times what any other laser regularly produces today.
http://phys.org/news/2012-07-nif-histor ... -shot.html
In the comments:
Wow, 1.85 MJ - that's over 440 Calories, as much as a McDonald's Chocolate Triple Thick Milkshake. It's also 514 watt-hours: as much energy as leaving a 100-watt light on for little more than 5 hours.
:mrgreen:
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Yes, but 514 Wh divided by 500 TW is just over a trillionth of an hour. I bet you can’t drink a McDonald’s Chocolate Triple Thick Milkshake anywhere near that fast.