Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How many people have made it to 'ELITE'?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Re: How many people have made it to 'ELITE'?

Post by marcusrg »

A also think the same. In the begining, I couldn't even dock my ship manually, and now I think it is easy...
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

CommRLock78 wrote:
marcusrg wrote:
...And I am not using the e-bombs anymore, what makes it longer to get there! :)
Part of me is really sad about these puppies being removed, but I know it levels the playing field - I have a sneaking suspicion that we're all going to become excellent marksmen with this change :lol: 8) .
I carry an Energy Bomb but don't use it - perhaps 2 to 4 times on my way to Elite. But the cloak I never use because, as far as I am concerned, it is a blatant cheat.

Personally, I'd rather the Energy Bomb stayed as a 1-hit Heeeellllppp!! panic button, and the ridiculously biased and unbalancing cloak was removed.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

marcusrg wrote:
A also think the same. In the begining, I couldn't even dock my ship manually, and now I think it is easy...
Ahh docking - the source of much lament for many new commanders - I think I found a video on youtube demonstrating the procedure, and that made a difference. Docking computers sure save a lot time messing with that, but are of course useless if you have 'Fugitive' status ;) (an all-too-familiar scenario for me lately :lol: ).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Havn't made it to Elite. I'd be pretty close if I'd stop restarting. :P My secondary commander (Squire) has 1500 kills, but I keep restarting. I want Elite to be as true to the orginal game as I can make it without an emulator. To that effect my main commander (Kolt) has 100 kills in STRICT mode.
Last edited by OneoftheLost on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

SandJ wrote:
Personally, I'd rather the Energy Bomb stayed as a 1-hit Heeeellllppp!! panic button, and the ridiculously biased and unbalancing cloak was removed.
It was that indeed a good panic button. As far as cloaking devices are concerned, I still haven't figured out how to use it :?: :oops: . I've experienced NPC's that do have a cloak, and even a couple times gotten my shields hammered into the red by such a commander :x .
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Have you ever visited the fifth octant (G5)? If not then you haven't got it yet! But if you have got it, press 0 (zero) to activate/deactivate.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

I care not about the kill count, or ranks for that matter. And I do not attempt to turn Oolite into Elite. I had that experience almost 30 years ago and it is one that Oolite has not surpassed in my memory. My main objective now is to push the envelope of survivability. I do that by occasionally upping the stats for all core and OXP ships except the one I command.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

CaptSolo wrote:
I care not about the kill count, or ranks for that matter. And I do not attempt to turn Oolite into Elite. I had that experience almost 30 years ago and it is one that Oolite has not surpassed in my memory. My main objective now is to push the envelope of survivability. I do that by occasionally upping the stats for all core and OXP ships except the one I command.
<nods approvingly>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<nods, grinning>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

CommRLock78 wrote:
It was that indeed a good panic button. As far as cloaking devices are concerned, I still haven't figured out how to use it :?: :oops: . I've experienced NPC's that do have a cloak, and even a couple times gotten my shields hammered into the red by such a commander :x .
Never been a fan of the Cloaking Device myself, might as well be called a Cheating Device. Although to be fair I do have it installed and I have used it on occasion to sneak up on unsuspecting pirates traders police anyone... But the Energy Bomb annoys me more, it can be useful in a tight situation but as long as you've got an Escape Pod then you might as well fight to the death! It's not exactly Game Over...
CaptSolo wrote:
Best answer. 10/10 and you get a Gold Star! 8)
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Post by marcusrg »

In fact, I'm in the middle of some missions here, including Vector and Coyotte's Run. And yes, surviving is the goal, :shock: level rising will be a consequence of this... or not...
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Fatleaf wrote:
Have you ever visited the fifth octant (G5)? If not then you haven't got it yet! But if you have got it, press 0 (zero) to activate/deactivate.
I have been to the fifth, but I never bought it. I did try 0 and nothing happened, but just as well, I don't want to use the thing anyway. I completed Assassins and have got the rank of 'Great One' in Random Hits without a cloaking device 8) (thanks LittleBear - Assassins was great fun and, Random Hits has kept me very busy ;) ) .
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

CommRLock78 wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
I have been to the fifth, but I never bought it.
You cannot buy it. You have to earn it, and will get the opportunity to do so after flying around in the fifth for a little while.

Lbh jvyy xabj gung gur bccbeghavgl vf gurer, nf fbba nf n pybnxrq fuvc jvgu gjb pbzcnavbaf nggnpxf lbh. Nsgre lbh znantr gb xvyy gur pybnxrq fuvc, qba'g sbetrg gb pnershyyl fpna vgf qroevf.

www.rot13.com

That's as much information as you can get without being firmly in spoiler territory.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Hey Guys,

My previous savegame was elite with 11000+ kills (mostly pirates, thargoids and marks)
Currently i'm deadly with 4000+ kills.

I also was elite and archangel in the old elite, but then i'm seriously addicted to space sims. For me Oolite is still the best out there.
Have also played vegastrike for a while, untill it turned unplayable.

Greetz,
Onno.
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Commander McLane wrote:
You cannot buy it. You have to earn it, and will get the opportunity to do so after flying around in the fifth for a little while.
You could make it buyable with an OXP, making an equipment with a script that would award the Player the Cloaking Device when the OXP equipment was installed onto the Player's ship, but this would make doing the Cloak mission irrelevent. And the Cloak is over-rated anyway, it is not essential equipment...
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4