Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How many people have made it to 'ELITE'?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

I was wondering whether there are many people who have made it to the esteemed title of ELITE in the game? I have a few save game files on my laptop and a few more on my tower PC, but I have only achieved 'Elite-hood' once. I usually get near to the target of 6400 kills and end up starting a new game and going in a different direction. I do think that doing OXP missions, and in particular Galatic Navy sorties and missions involving the Thargoids, help an awful lot. :twisted:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: How many people have made it to 'ELITE'?

Post by Cody »

My main commander (Cody) has 9728 core kills (38 ROCs) - no OXP mission kills, and not one innocent trader among them!
I've probably got a few thousand other kills on various save-games from testing OXPs etc (they don't count - different RoE).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

My Commander currently has 10969 kills using a vortex.
Unlike Commander Cody, I do have a "few innocent traders( suicidal Cobra MK I) and galcops" in the mix.

Just had a thought... can an oxp be created to keep a kill list that ranks groups: Thargoids, fugitives, clean, green geckos,etc?
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Just had a thought... can an oxp be created to keep a kill list that ranks groups: Thargoids, fugitives, clean, green geckos,etc?
This would be possible, but it could only start listing them from the point that it was installed. It would not be able to go back and check your previous kills and break them down into sub groups.

I have got quite a few OXP mission kills (mainly from Xeptatl's Sword, Cataclysm OXP and Galactic Navy) and the rest were probably innocent traders, unsuspecting pirates and those damn police ships! Personally if it moves, its a target! :twisted:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I have never made 'Elite' :(
My 'main' Commander has a few hundred over 4000 kills, not counting 'testing' kills. However I haven't played him for over a year as he was seduced by the Dark Side and became a mercenary (Random Hits and Assassins) which I found I was uncomfortable with.
So I started a new Commander (Jack) who plays a straight game (no OXPs except eye-candy etc) and he will only fight if attacked first. He's Competent with just 223 kills and flies a sub-Iron-Ass Cobra III.
However my OXP projects mean I haven't really played for many months, so if he ever does get to Elite, it won't be any time soon. 8)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Many. :wink:

Personally I did it on a C=64, an ST, and in Oolite.

Not bragging about my statistics here, but you can see the updated numbers on my user page in the Wiki (link in my sig). :mrgreen:
Bazza
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Bazza »

I'm currently Deadly; but I did get to Elite on the old Amiga version. Did anyone ever reach Archangel status?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I made it to Elite in January last year. I've recently started a new Commander, who's still in a Cobra Mk I, but who's rated Competent with over 200 kills. It's a long road ahead, but I'll get there, one pirate (or Thargoid) at a time. That Cobra III is going to feel so sweet when I finally get her ... :)
marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Post by marcusrg »

I also never made it to Elite. I don't remember which level I was, I only remember I was facing the Constrictor ship the last time I can recall, in a MSX... :(

Update: I mean, in my Elite times... now, in Oolite, I am as Competent, with 406 kills up to now...
Last edited by marcusrg on Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

As far as I know the greatest number achievable in Oolite is called an ""Eric's Number"! :wink:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

I just made 'Deadly' about a week ago - with it's nice stars for emphasis (the first time, too - I never had the privilege to play Elite :( ). I tried to be clean as a whistle without a single innocent victim, like El Viejo, but I think that's pretty well impossible once you start Assassin's missions - so now I have a few innocent rodents and some Galcops on the list. But hey, you gotta break eggs to make an omelet.... :mrgreen:

I can't wait to see if there are any other icons for the next rating(s?).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Post by marcusrg »

CommRLock78 wrote:
I just made 'Deadly' about a week ago - with it's nice stars for emphasis (the first time, too - I never had the privilege to play Elite :( ). I tried to be clean as a whistle without a single innocent victim, like El Viejo, but I think that's pretty well impossible once you start Assassin's missions - so now I have a few innocent rodents and some Galcops on the list. But hey, you gotta break eggs to make an omelet.... :mrgreen:

I didn't know there were icons with the Oolite grades! :shock: Well, again, maybe I am the last to know... :oops: Until now, as competent, no icons.

:)
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

marcusrg wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:

I didn't know there were icons with the Oolite grades! :shock: Well, again, maybe I am the last to know... :oops: Until now, as competent, no icons.

:)
At least for Deadly there are icons :mrgreen: . You're not as far behind as I am with everything, since you did play Elite before ;).
I just started a new commander the other day on my old computer running the trunk, and he's only 'Above Average', so don't feel bad :lol: , racking up the kill count takes time :twisted: .
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Post by marcusrg »

CommRLock78 wrote:
At least for Deadly there are icons :mrgreen: . You're not as far behind as I am with everything, since you did play Elite before ;).
I just started a new commander the other day on my old computer running the trunk, and he's only 'Above Average', so don't feel bad :lol: , racking up the kill count takes time :twisted: .

Yes, it takes some time to climb the stairs, I know! And I am not using the e-bombs anymore, what makes it longer to get there! :)
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

marcusrg wrote:
...And I am not using the e-bombs anymore, what makes it longer to get there! :)
Part of me is really sad about these puppies being removed, but I know it levels the playing field - I have a sneaking suspicion that we're all going to become excellent marksmen with this change :lol: 8) .