Errors and warnings when building 1.77 trunk

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Errors and warnings when building 1.77 trunk

Post by Gimi »

Get the following errors and warnings when building trunk rev 5055 on Win7 64bit.

Code: Select all

$ make debug=no
Making all for objc_program oolite...
 Compiling file src/Core/Entities/Entity.m ...
 Compiling file src/Core/Entities/WormholeEntity.m ...
 Compiling file src/Core/Materials/OOShaderProgram.m ...
 Compiling file src/Core/CollisionRegion.m ...
src/Core/CollisionRegion.m: In function '-[CollisionRegion addSubregionAtPosition:withRadius:]':
src/Core/CollisionRegion.m:116: warning: implicit declaration of function 'sphereIsWithinRegion'
src/Core/CollisionRegion.m:122: warning: implicit declaration of function 'positionIsWithinRegion'
src/Core/CollisionRegion.m: At top level:
src/Core/CollisionRegion.m:139: error: conflicting types for 'positionIsWithinRegion'
src/Core/CollisionRegion.m:122: error: previous implicit declaration of 'positionIsWithinRegion' was here
src/Core/CollisionRegion.m:158: error: conflicting types for 'sphereIsWithinRegion'
src/Core/CollisionRegion.m:116: error: previous implicit declaration of 'sphereIsWithinRegion' was here
make[3]: *** [obj.win.spk/oolite.obj/CollisionRegion.m.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [internal-objc_program-all_] Error 2
make[1]: *** [oolite.all.objc-program.variables] Error 2
make: *** [internal-all] Error 2
Last edited by Gimi on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Errors and warnings when building 1.77 trunk rev5055

Post by Tricky »

I get the exact same errors on WinVista 32bit.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Should be fixed in r5057.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Ahruman wrote:
Should be fixed in r5057.
Thank you, r5057 compiles with no errors for.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Errors and warnings when building 1.77 trunk rev5070

Post by Gimi »

I get the following warning when building trunk r5070

Compiling file src/Core/Entities/SkyEntity.m ...
 Compiling file src/Core/Entities/StationEntity.m ...
src/Core/Entities/StationEntity.m: In function '-[StationEntity sanityCheckShipsOnApproach]':
src/Core/Entities/StationEntity.m:224: warning: 'soa' may be used uninitialized in this function
I understand cim is in the middle of implementing multiple docks, so not worried.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Thanks. Should be fixed in r5071.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

cim wrote:
Thanks. Should be fixed in r5071.
And thank you cim. All is well.
Looking forward to some really busy stations with multiple docks in high tech systems.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Depending on progress, you may find (hopefully temporarily) that Kiota stations, Planetfall, Lave Academy and the Aquarian HQ in Aqualina are non-functional in trunk at the moment.

Just as a warning, as they use proximity docking which from the notes is in a bit of flux.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Thargoid wrote:
Depending on progress, you may find (hopefully temporarily) that Kiota stations, Planetfall, Lave Academy and the Aquarian HQ in Aqualina are non-functional in trunk at the moment.

Just as a warning, as they use proximity docking which from the notes is in a bit of flux.
Proximity launch should work as before for the player. Proximity manual dock should also work for the player. I've checked this with Kiota and Academy - haven't tried the other two.

Unfortunately it's not straightforward to get it to work with NPC ships (or player docking computer, which is the same code path) - I'll need to think about that a bit more.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Thanks for the update (that's why I put depending on progress). I saw that you were working on it and had something towards a fix for players so far, but as I have less than no time at the moment I haven't tried any of it.

If it works for the first two then it should work for all of them. Planetfall I can help along a bit if needed by using a dockPlayer, but the others become more tricky. The NPC and dock-comp would of course both be good to there if you can do it.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Thargoid wrote:
Thanks for the update (that's why I put depending on progress). I saw that you were working on it and had something towards a fix for players so far, but as I have less than no time at the moment I haven't tried any of it.

If it works for the first two then it should work for all of them. Planetfall I can help along a bit if needed by using a dockPlayer, but the others become more tricky. The NPC and dock-comp would of course both be good to there if you can do it.
The nicest long-term approach is probably just to give them a proper dock subent. As a bonus for the Kiota and Academy stations, this would allow NPC docking and launching to take place from both ends, if you gave them two dock subents. If you have a look at the RRS Waystation from Rescue Stations, that was developed before I knew about proximity docking, and has a dock subent concealed between the inner and outer hulls of the docking corridor, so it doesn't need the original object to be remodelled.

I think what I'm going to end up doing is where a station doesn't have a dock subent it will be given an invisible one of the appropriate size and position, and then I won't need to have docking and launching code duplicated between the station and the dock.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Errors and warnings when building 1.77 trunk rev5133

Post by Gimi »

Got the following warnings when building r5133

Compiling file src/Core/GuiDisplayGen.m ...
src/Core/GuiDisplayGen.m: In function '-[GuiDisplayGen drawGalaxyChart::::]':
src/Core/GuiDisplayGen.m:1675: warning: 'time' may be used uninitialized in this function
src/Core/GuiDisplayGen.m:1675: warning: 'distance' may be used uninitialized in this function
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Gimi wrote:
Got the following warnings when building r5133

Compiling file src/Core/GuiDisplayGen.m ...
src/Core/GuiDisplayGen.m: In function '-[GuiDisplayGen drawGalaxyChart::::]':
src/Core/GuiDisplayGen.m:1675: warning: 'time' may be used uninitialized in this function
src/Core/GuiDisplayGen.m:1675: warning: 'distance' may be used uninitialized in this function
Interesting. The compiler is right to give a warning (though the circumstance in which it could happen is impossible in practice), but the same warnable situation existed for many revisions back. All r5133 does is add an extra branch in which distance and time are never used - it doesn't affect their initialisation at all.

Anyway, should stop complaining in r5134.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

That seems to have done the trick, thanks Cim. No idea why my compiler started to throw warnings now, I just report them as I find them. I leave the analysis and error fixing to you clever people.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Gimi wrote:
No idea why my compiler started to throw warnings now.
Some compilers handle things just a bit different. e.g. in current trunk my compiler complains about an semicolon to much in line: 1208 of PlayerEntitiesContracts.m (Hint to Cim).
Apparently the compiler Cim uses, ignores a semicolon at this point, but mine throws an error.