Ship building tutorials

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Ship building tutorials

Post by marcusrg »

Well, don't know if it is much dare of me, but I am thinking of starting a new ship oxp, just for learning how to do it. Is there any tutorial available for this, or a list of software I could use? I already have blender, and I know that there is a tutorial for it (that's my first time in doing this). Thanks.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Ship building tutorials

Post by Fatleaf »

marcusrg wrote:
Well, don't know if it is much dare of me, but I am thinking of starting a new ship oxp, just for learning how to do it. Is there any tutorial available for this, or a list of software I could use? I already have blender, and I know that there is a tutorial for it (that's my first time in doing this). Thanks.
Have you read the Blender 3d Modeling Tutorials thread?
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Post by marcusrg »

Well there is where I learned about blender... I'll go there and read it all... thanks.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

If you look for something that presumably many board members have already requested, chances are that you'll find it among the stickies (threads that are always displayed right at the top of each forum, just so that you'll see them automatically whenever you open the forum page). For constructing ship models The Shipyard at the End of the Ooniverse. Modeller's bit. seems to be the right place, doesn't it?
marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Post by marcusrg »

Yes, for sure. In fact I have read it this morning, and I ser it's not an easy task for me. Thanks for the reply, i'll study it more. Maybe someday I will be able to buid some ship. :)
marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Post by marcusrg »

Indeed, I'll start with some picture to Your ad Here, which I think it is easier for me. :)
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

I never found much help when I wanted to learn but that is probably because I didn't look hard enough. I use Wings3D. With that program you need to start with one of the preset shapes. Take the cube shape, for example: It has 6 polygons (faces), 12 edges (lines), and 8 vertices (points). You begin your ship with an idea... something simple to gain experience. Construction involves manipulating the faces, lines and points with the various tools. This is not a tutorial. Experiment with the cube and suddenly you may be surprised that you are actually grasping it.