Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Screenshots

Post by Pleb »

Lol I have also thought about it myself and it was me who came up with them in the first place! I like to think that its for people who had to eject from their ship after it was destroyed by pirates/police/thargoids/navy/me and their escape pod brought them to the station. Then they have to rely on you, the player, on taking them to where they were going in the first place. But you are right, it doesn't make a lot of sense really... :?

EDIT: Wow those retextured models by Dertian are really good. With his permission they will be part of the next release. Here's a couple of screenshots taken from his site:

Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Wow! Those images of Dertien's look sharp.

Wouldn't want this taxi service. :shock: (click on images for larger versions)
Image Image Image
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Was that ship from the Commies OXP? And did it blow up or jump out of the system, I'm confused? :?
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yep.. appears to be a workers commuter from Commies.. And it looks like he scraped the sides of the docking bay a little too hard and went "pop!" :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

I've seen them suddenly decide, a few metres from the entrance all lined up perfectly and travelling forward, to change rotation by about 90 degrees to the left or right and try that. A bit like a toddler trying to fit a cube into a round hole. With as much success. :lol:
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Even though they aren't classified as 'Big Ships', could they not be given the same AI as the Big Ships so that they do not try to dock with the station?

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Pleb wrote:
Even though they aren't classified as 'Big Ships', could they not be given the same AI as the Big Ships so that they do not try to dock with the station?
That is the whole point of them being in the game. To ferry commuters. It just needs an updated AI.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Fatleaf wrote:
That is the whole point of them being in the game. To ferry commuters. It just needs an updated AI.
I know that, but if they can't dock properly then they don't really serve their purpose do they? What I'm trying to say, is if the ship isn't big enough to fit it shouldn't be docking. And if it is...well someone needs to tell the pilot to stop drinking all that vodka! :lol:

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Pleb wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
I know that, but if they can't dock properly then they don't really serve their purpose do they? What I'm trying to say, is if the ship isn't big enough to fit it shouldn't be docking. And if it is...well someone needs to tell the pilot to stop drinking all that vodka! :lol:
They can and do dock properly. I've seen it a million times. There is only an occasional failure, probably more likely with a lower frame rate.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Commander McLane wrote:
Pleb wrote:
They can and do dock properly. I've seen it a million times. There is only an occasional failure, probably more likely with a lower frame rate.
And some of those failures should be fixed by Eric's improvements to the docking AI in trunk.

They're not much wider/taller than an Anaconda. They are longer than the docking port, though, so they do look ridiculous on the way in. Their turn rate is also rubbish, which may be causing them trouble if the "cheat on docking" bit for turn rate is going wrong somewhere.
Talisker
Competent
Competent
Location: London (Corporate State, Mostly Industrial, Tech Level 12)

Let's all go to the mall

Post by Talisker »

To add to the mall-i-ness, the next thing that happens is a huge mob of Ionics Whitetails and Hunstmen and whatnot turn up and start trying to mug people.

[edit: Cool bug though 8)]
What were the skies like when you were young?

Currently: piloting the Boa Clipper Photic Sneeze II around Galaxy 2, bearing gifts of dubious legality but high entertainment value.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

While testing one of Griffs creations ...

I may have problems...

I definitely have problems...

My problems are nearly over...
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<sobs quietly> I've lost (translation: mistakenly deleted) a pic that I posted here... a giant saucer with psychedelic colours. Did anyone happen to grab that pic?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Was it this one?

Last edited by Diziet Sma on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Was it this one?
Alas no... that one I still have.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!