Dark Rainbow 2011.09.14 - OXZ for Oolite 1.82 now available

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Re: [UPDATE]Dark Rainbow 2011.09.14 - genetic implant, Caduc

Post by Capt. Murphy »

sdrubble wrote:
Hi all... dunnit again, by popular demand !!! :mrgreen:
sdrubble wrote:
Download link (at the end of the first post in this thread) has now been reactivated.

It will be good until 2012.04.17... :evil: Sorry, it's a small quirk from adrive.com. I can renew it again whenever someone requests it.

Pls DO post any queries or comments you might have about the ship in this thread.
Cheers and enjoy !!! :D

EDIT: besides the usual good-for-14-days download link from adrive.com, there's also now (at the end of the first post in this thread) an additional download link from 4shared.com, which AFAIK should be good for the next 180 days without any intervention from myself.
Why don't you just get yourself a free box account and be done with it?

https://www.box.com/signup/o/default/personal/lite
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Its good to have this ship available again, I have just one small enquiry.
I note that when firing Military Lasers a quiet strange effect appears on my screen. It is a large green cross as opposed to a beam that is emitted. I wonder then if this ship is meant to remain armed with twin plasma cannons alone ? :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Duggan wrote:
when firing Military Lasers a quiet strange effect appears on my screen. It is a large green cross as opposed to a beam that is emitted.
That's probably due to your line-of-sight being straight down the laser beam, rather than from slightly above as with most ships.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

El Viejo wrote:
Duggan wrote:
when firing Military Lasers a quiet strange effect appears on my screen. It is a large green cross as opposed to a beam that is emitted.
That's probably due to your line-of-sight being straight down the laser beam, rather than from slightly above as with most ships.
As El Viejo writes: its because the laser is positioned at the hight of your eyes. And because it is not blocking your view, it must be placed directly behind your head. The strange light effects are because the beam is cooking your brains :P

Some people like this, like a drugs addiction. I myself like a laser position that is a bit lower and leaves my head intact.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Eric Walch wrote:
I myself like a laser position that is a bit lower and leaves my head intact.
<chortles>
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Well I'm all for a bit of Brain Cooking thankfully. Its also very gratifying to see that all my years practicing and developing the very fine art of ineptitude has not been wasted. Why its second nature to me now. Yet still some folk think this degree of ineptitude comes naturally. (Testament to how finely crafted my eejit..ness has become over the years) :D
I myself like a laser position that is a bit lower and leaves my head intact.
It's debatable...Do I want my brains cooking or something a bit lower down....Surely cooking something a bit lower down might bring a tear to ones eye... :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Duggan wrote:
Yet still some folk think this degree of ineptitude comes naturally.
I got my degree of ineptitude from the 'opeless university!
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Eric Walch wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Duggan wrote:
As El Viejo writes: its because the laser is positioned at the hight of your eyes. And because it is not blocking your view, it must be placed directly behind your head. The strange light effects are because the beam is cooking your brains :P Some people like this, like a drugs addiction.
Image Is now an OK time for me to confess to believing, aged 6, that my eyes were fitted with a death ray and I could project it onto things and people and destroy them?

I used to regularly melt the TV transmitter at Alexandra Palace (because my brothers were watching sport on the TV when I wanted to watch kid's programmes), burn the wings of aeroplanes in flight (because I wasn't on board) and cook people that were walking along the pavement outside (just because). They were activated by a blink which is all it took to make a teacher spontaneously drop dead. Frequently.

This lasted about 5 years until I went on a trip to Brownsea Island with the Scouts. While bored on the boat I was passing the time by blowing up buildings in Poole by staring intently at them when one of the older lads mocked: "What are you doing? Praying?" and I managed to quickly hide my embarrassment by saying "No, I'm imagining I'm the spotter for the destroyer's guns" which was a perfectly acceptable thing to be doing instead.

I had been reading Sven Hassel's "The Legion of the Damned" in which they are posted to an armoured train; this resulted in my eye-mounted death ray being downgraded to conventional weapons. Ever since reading that I pass the time on train journeys by imagining I have a heavy calibre machine gun and an 88mm auto-loading gun at my disposal and I can aim them by looking at stuff and fire them by thought alone. The big gun is really good because I can decide what kind of ammo to use in the gun at will. I try to see how much track-side buildings I can destroy as we go past. Killing traffic wardens by shooting them with a yellow paint targeting shell is very rewarding.

I don't use use them when driving, obviously. (Because of the windscreen, duh.) Once I had learned to drive, it did not take me long to visualise a machine gun fitted to the roof that is fired by buttons on the steering wheel, as are the front-facing rocket launchers fitted above the wheel arches. After being advised quite seriously that these were unhealthy thoughts, I stopped doing the sound effects when firing them. Hey, you have to survive commuting in London traffic somehow, and MURDER DEATH KILL worked for me.

Is that so very bad?
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Is that so very bad?
Not at all ..Er indoors has refined the daggers look to bring about my soul withering and equilibrium destruction on contact... :)
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Capt. Murphy wrote:

Hi Capt. Murphy...

While I wouldn't expect everyone to read every page on every thread :wink: , it's interesting to remark that the answer to your question already lies in this very same thread here... :twisted:

There's a lengthy discussion about this issue, sprouting up somewhere in page 1 and finally fading in page 2. It can be summed up in this particular post, although the graphical 'evidence' 8) for my initially unbelievable allegations :cry: was presented some posts later. :roll:

And as you can probably see, I'm now providing two different hosting services for downloading The Dark Rainbow. :D

Duggan & Mr. Oldman,

ineptitude is indeed a fine art. But while most others spend many decades perfecting and honing it, my own ineptitude came from birth, as a rare genetic attribute. :lol:

Which of course has NOT prevented me from also spending many decades perfecting and honing it. :mrgreen:

SandJ,

Rest assured - you were NOT the only child whose eyes were silently fitted with death rays by surreptitious aliens. But IIRC, I got mine at a later age than yourself - but didn't get to blow up any jets, only propeller-equipped planes. :shock:

My DRs were taken away, as silently as they had come, a few years later... :cry:

Oh, and BTW I now know what SandJ means. :wink:

Cheers y'all !!! :D
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

sdrubble wrote:
Capt. Murphy wrote:

Hi Capt. Murphy...

While I wouldn't expect everyone to read every page on every thread :wink: , it's interesting to remark that the answer to your question already lies in this very same thread here... :twisted:

There's a lengthy discussion about this issue, sprouting up somewhere in page 1 and finally fading in page 2. It can be summed up in this particular post, although the graphical 'evidence' 8) for my initially unbelievable allegations :cry: was presented some posts later. :roll:
How very odd, so if you click on the link I posted you don't get a Free Personal option only a paid for Business option?
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Have downloaded!

Greetz,
Onno.
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
sdrubble wrote:
Capt. Murphy wrote:

Hi Capt. Murphy...

How very odd, so if you click on the link I posted you don't get a Free Personal option only a paid for Business option?
Mmmm... yes and no. :shock: :mrgreen:

I decided to give it 'just one more try' - and presto ! I've got now the mythical free account on box.com !!! :D

Well, just don't ask me WHY I got today what I couldn't get earlier. It might be due to today being a Holy Friday, and/or coupled with a full moon, or just due to the good vibes of Capt. Murphy...

The fact is, there is now on the first post a 3rd download link for The Dark Rainbow, from The Box.

Capt. Murphy, many thanks... your name is now scheduled to be eternized on the next version of the DR's Credits file (see 'ToDo' section on first post).

Cheers !!! :D
Last edited by sdrubble on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

sdrubble wrote:
I've got now the mythical free account on box.com !!!
<chortles>
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Hi all,

I've been away from the Oolite board for quite a while... the same, or even more so, applies to my actual playing of Oolite. 8)

There's no "fortunately" or "unfortunately" label to apply here... it's just so, as the flow of life - and of the bigger Life - proceeds. :lol:

Anyway, I still feel a bit responsible for this brainchild of mine which is named "The Dark Rainbow". And so, after coming back to the board after a 60+days absence, I just noticed the bits quoted below (from HERE:)
Oolite 1.76.1 is now available from Oolite.org.

Changes since version 1.76:

[ . . . ]
weapon_range and weapon_energy keys in the turret subentity declaration now work as intended. Values are maximised at 7500 and 100 respectively.
As it happens, I DO use weapon_energy keys in the turret subents of The Dark Rainbow. The 6 lateral turrets have weapon_energy=15 and the 4 remaining turrets have weapon_energy=50.

So what I'd like to ask to any goodwilling codemaster reading this, would be the following (so that I can see if there would be an opportunity to fix, or improve, this part of the DR's code):

- the changelog says that the changes relate specifically to previous version 1.76... however would someone tell me if the weapon_energy workings in 1.76.1 are any different than those in 1.75.3 (which was the only Oolite version where the DR was tested) ?

So that depending on what I can find about this, I can decide if I should dedicate some effort - if any - in adjusting this stuff. Or rather leave it as-is if there's no measurable player impact involved.

Thx a lot everybody !!! :mrgreen: