Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Elite screensaver

Post by Selezen »

SandJ wrote:
(Written while sitting at an 18 year old MFI desk. Who would ever have thought anything could be worse than MFI?)
I still have my original computer desk. Can't remember exactly where it came from, but it was the desk that my Amiga sat on whilst I played Elite. That makes it about 1989 at least. 22ish years?

It's been assembled and disassembled at least four times and at the moment is disassembled in the shed awaiting the day when I get enough room in the house to have a computer desk again.

Never had a problem with Ikea stuff. Built three wardrobes, at least five tables, one bed and two sofas. and the most difficult was the corner sofa, as it had a locating pin that was impossible to locate.

I am a veteran of the hex driver.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Steve wrote:
SandJ wrote:
Mrs_SandJ - without saying a word - took out to me a bottle of meths
Crikey! Still, whatever gets you through the day, huh? :lol:
I feel a YAH poster coming on:
Public Information Film wrote:
New! Improved!
Trampoline

(previously sold as Methylated Spirits)

[size=120][color=#000080]Government sponsored, ready-mixed, [b]Victory Gin[/b] cocktail.[/color][/size]

Now in a handy non-slip serving bottle - no dangerous glassware required.
Basically, a bit like blue WKD but without the tax and with fewer unpleasant after effects.

:wink:
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Smivs wrote:
My Boa Class Cruiser was pants!

Didn't I see that in the corner of your living room! :mrgreen:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Part of my day-job entails building stuff from flat-pack that makes Ikea look simple.. and that comes without any instructions at all..

Guess who gets roped in every damn time a friend buys flat-pack furniture? :x :evil:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Part of my day-job entails building stuff from flat-pack that makes Ikea look simple.. and that comes without any instructions at all..

Guess who gets roped in every damn time a friend buys flat-pack furniture? :x :evil:
Reminds me of the time when friends & family thought that they have to call me everytime a PC didn't work...
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

maik wrote:
Reminds me of the time when friends & family thought that they have to call me everytime a PC didn't work...
Still happens for me! I got annoyed with it after a while and tried to teach people some things but some people just don't understand computers... Women I believe they're called! :lol: (Runs and ducks before a woman starts going mad!)
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

http://xkcd.com/627/

(I particularly love the mouseover text on this one)
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

maik wrote:
Reminds me of the time when friends & family thought that they have to call me every time a PC didn't work...
I got sick of, and fixed that, some years ago.

"I'm sorry, but I haven't used Windows since Windows ME. I only work on corporate systems like Unix systems and obscure mainframes. Sorry, but you probably know more about Windows than I do, these days."

And for them as don't believe me ... one very confusing image for me to look at.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

SandJ wrote:
maik wrote:
Reminds me of the time when friends & family thought that they have to call me every time a PC didn't work...
I got sick of, and fixed that, some years ago.

"I'm sorry, but I haven't used Windows since Windows ME. I only work on corporate systems like Unix systems and obscure mainframes. Sorry, but you probably know more about Windows than I do, these days."

And for them as don't believe me ... one very confusing image for me to look at.
Same here. Switched to Linux (at the time) and couldn't remember anymore how to setup printers and all that stuff. And dreamed of wearing this shirt :D. Nowadays my far away family use Mac (somewhat computer-savvy) and an iPad (not computer-savvy at all) and I am left in peace :mrgreen:
Disembodied wrote:
http://xkcd.com/627/

(I particularly love the mouseover text on this one)
:D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Pleb wrote:
maik wrote:
Still happens for me! I got annoyed with it after a while and tried to teach people some things but some people just don't understand computers... Women I believe they're called! :lol: (Runs and ducks before a woman starts going mad!)
That's why I got TightVNC installed onto the computers of the women in my life.. now I can remote-admin as if I was sitting there at their desk.. since some of 'em are in other countries, it saves considerably on the phone calls.. :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Diziet Sma wrote:
That's why I got TightVNC installed onto the computers of the women in my life.... since some of 'em are in other countries, it saves considerably on the phone calls.. :D
...and you can remotely switch-on their webcams! :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Pleb wrote:
maik wrote:
That's why I got TightVNC installed onto the computers of the women in my life.. now I can remote-admin as if I was sitting there at their desk.. since some of 'em are in other countries, it saves considerably on the phone calls.. :D
A woman in every port, eh? ;-)
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Smivs wrote:
...and you can remotely switch-on their webcams! :D
Sshh Smivs!! They'll find out! :lol:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4