Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Split: Some politics

Post by SandJ »

Moderator: Split from THANKS topic.
PhantorGorth wrote:
Didn't you know that during the 2300s the Welsh conquered the whole of Western Europe? Formed the Greater Wales Empire :wink:
The North Welsh or the South Welsh? And where did they put the new capital that time?
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: THANKS

Post by PhantorGorth »

SandJ wrote:
The North Welsh or the South Welsh? And where did they put the new capital that time?
It was the Mid-Welsh with their capital at Aberystwyth.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

PhantorGorth wrote:
It was the Mid-Welsh with their capital at Aberystwyth.
:shock: Not Machynlleth then? So that confirms my theory: it is the intention of the Welsh to have every town in the principality to have been the capital eventually. :wink:
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

SandJ wrote:
:shock: Not Machynlleth then? So that confirms my theory: it is the intention of the Welsh to have every town in the principality to have been the capital eventually. :wink:
This is not restricted to the Welsh. The Scots (During David I reign) had it's capital in Carlisle and that isn't in Scotland any more!
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

PhantorGorth wrote:
The Scots (During David I reign) had it's capital in Carlisle and that isn't in Scotland any more!
Well, don't tell them...they'll want it back!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Smivs wrote:
PhantorGorth wrote:
The Scots (During David I reign) had it's capital in Carlisle and that isn't in Scotland any more!
Well, don't tell them...they'll want it back!
Everyone wants something back we stole...next it'll be the Malvinas Falkland Islands... Sorry too soon? :mrgreen:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Pleb wrote:
Everyone wants something back we stole...next it'll be the Malvinas Falkland Islands... Sorry too soon? :mrgreen:
[rant]Except if you do your research it was never stolen from anyone. Previously it was uninhabited. The UK had a claim from 1690. Argentinians only tried to put a penal colony there in 1832 where after in 1833 we kicked them off. Since then the UK/Falkland islanders have had continuous complete control. Argentina does not have a claim going back as far as the UK because Argentina didn't exist. Spain might have had a claim but that doesn't transfer to Argentina. And proximity is never a reason for ownership otherwise Chile has a claim on the Falklands too and Canada has a claim on Greenland and the USA, etc. Argentina is guilty of trying colonised a territory that was never their's which is ironically what they claim the UK has done.[/rant]

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<nods>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

PhantorGorth wrote:
[rant]Except if you do your research it was never stolen from anyone. Previously it was uninhabited. The UK had a claim from 1690. Argentinians only tried to put a penal colony there in 1832 where after in 1833 we kicked them off. Since then the UK/Falkland islanders have had continuous complete control. Argentina does not have a claim going back as far as the UK because Argentina didn't exist. Spain might have had a claim but that doesn't transfer to Argentina. And proximity is never a reason for ownership otherwise Chile has a claim on the Falklands too and Canada has a claim on Greenland and the USA, etc. Argentina is guilty of trying colonised a territory that was never their's which is ironically what they claim the UK has done.[/rant]
Oh I agree whole heartedly, like you said otherwise USA should really have no right to claim to Alaska and China has no right to claim to Tibet...oh wait it doesn't...lol sorry I am going to start a real life war if I don't shut up! :lol: (Was also going to mention the whole Northern Ireland thing but thats even more controversial...)

EDIT: Notice to China - Please don't put Oolite behind the Great Firewall of China for my Tibet joke!
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

marcusrg wrote:
Welcome aboard, Wasabi. Yes, I agree, it's a very nice game, it brought me back to my Elite days. Take a while to read the posts here, you see, people are very kind and helpful. :)
It's nice of you to welcome someone who has been longer on the boards than you. :wink:
Colonel Wasabi
Competent
Competent

Post by Colonel Wasabi »

Pleb wrote:
PhantorGorth wrote:
Oh I agree whole heartedly, like you said otherwise USA should really have no right to claim to Alaska and China has no right to claim to Tibet...oh wait it doesn't...lol sorry I am going to start a real life war if I don't shut up! :lol: (Was also going to mention the whole Northern Ireland thing but thats even more controversial...)

EDIT: Notice to China - Please don't put Oolite behind the Great Firewall of China for my Tibet joke!
Didn't the USA buy Alaska off the USSR ?! Maybe it was theirs because it used to be attached to Siberia once upon an aeon .......

...and didn't the Welsh Empire fall apart in the year 2342, splitting into the Gogs and Ddebuttys with new capitals in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllantisiliogogoch and Ystradgynlais ??
Tidy !
Col W
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Colonel Wasabi wrote:
Didn't the USA buy Alaska off the USSR ?!
Only in a very broad sense. There was no USSR in [Wikipedia] 1867.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Colonel Wasabi wrote:
...and didn't the Welsh Empire fall apart in the year 2342, splitting into the Gogs and Ddebuttys with new capitals in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllantisiliogogoch and Ystradgynlais ??
Ah 'Ystradgynlais', That rings a bell. Those Wells names are at least easy to remember. Its a little bit south of Abercrave. The town were we always bought our gear when staying at the South Wales Caving Club. :wink:
Colonel Wasabi
Competent
Competent

Post by Colonel Wasabi »

Eric Walch wrote:
Colonel Wasabi wrote:
Ah 'Ystradgynlais', That rings a bell. Those Wells names are at least easy to remember. Its a little bit south of Abercrave. The town were we always bought our gear when staying at the South Wales Caving Club. :wink:
Wow ! Small world innit......
Ystradgynlais is where my mum was brought up and I spent nearly every single school holiday there playing in the woods, climbing tips (and skidding down them on dustbin lids :shock: ), damming streams &c &c.
I've been down Dan yr Ogof Showcaves many times - but never 'proper' holing like you Eric. My grandmother always used to whisper darkly about the 'holes in the hills' when trying to warn me not to explore too far up on the hills on my own when I was a kid - and I never did anything other than a few trips down abandoned slate mines with school/scouts.

The South Wales Caving Club site has a link to a fantastic website which takes you on a virtual tour of the caverns they've mapped out. Have a peep here http://www.ogof.net/ and click on the pictures - might bring back some memories for you?

...and thanks Commander McLane - interesting stuff ! (...and this was a thread to say a simple 'Ta" - marcusrg is quite right - this is a most excellent commoonity :) )
marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Post by marcusrg »

Commander McLane wrote:
marcusrg wrote:
Welcome aboard, Wasabi. Yes, I agree, it's a very nice game, it brought me back to my Elite days. Take a while to read the posts here, you see, people are very kind and helpful. :)
It's nice of you to welcome someone who has been longer on the boards than you. :wink:
Ok, my mistake... I use to read the unread posts, and I almost always forget to see the date of the first post of the subject... and I also forgot to look at the rating of the person... rookie issues... never mind, Wasabi, my apologizes for that. :oops: