Mouse control: more mouse buttons + mousewheel

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

oO
Competent
Competent

Mouse control: more mouse buttons + mousewheel

Post by oO »

Hi

I tried the mouse control (shift-m while fullscreen) and found that with only one hand in the keyboard it was a bit difficult to get to the keys at the other side, especially fuel injection (i), and less important others like missile firing (m) or radar de-zooming (shift-z) too.

So i thought it would be great to have the rest of mouse buttons assigned to them:

- Right: fuel injection (i)
- Middle: fire missile (m)
- Wheel up/down: zoom in/out

What do you think, is that selection ok or are there more useful assignements for playing with the mouse?

EDIT: i mailed a litle patch that adds that to aegidian
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Right button is recentre virtual joystick, which is a lot more important. :-)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Come to think of it, I’d quite like to be able to use the mouse wheel as a throttle.
oO
Competent
Competent

Post by oO »

Ahruman wrote:
Right button is recentre virtual joystick, which is a lot more important. :-)
more important? i just noticed it recentered when i tried the trunk (i was using FancyTargetter branch, which doesn't do that)

But it does both, first recentres, and if you keep pressing the injectors work, well, actually with a single click it should put your speed to max too :twisted:.
Ahruman wrote:
Come to think of it, I'd quite like to be able to use the mouse wheel as a throttle.
And i was thinking too in the target memory expansion thingie... to rotate the targets... soo... maybe make it configurable?
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

I'd think the target rotation would best fit the side buttons (for mouses that have them). But if it would be fully configurable, then it would not really matter what the basic settings would be...

Anyway, I've still not used the mouse for the game... I like to keep the game windowed, because I can switch applications that way - if I do it when it is on fullscreen, the game automatically shuts down (or crashes, I'm not sure) which is quite disappointing... :(
Frantic
Competent
Competent

Post by Frantic »

Most modern mice (we all upgraded to optical at *least*) have buttons all over them. I'm always pissed when some game ignores all or some of them. I guess the best solution is to support keymapping to all mouse buttons (mouse3, 4, 5 etc) and also multimedia buttons, which appear on keyboards and mice and lcd screens, and the side of your laptop and gah.
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

To accomodate differences in labeling between various keyboards and mice, mapping probably needs to be done the same way the joystick button/axis mapping is done now - i.e. via an oogui screen.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Frantic wrote:
Most modern mice (we all upgraded to optical at *least*) have buttons all over them. I'm always pissed when some game ignores all or some of them. I guess the best solution is to support keymapping to all mouse buttons (mouse3, 4, 5 etc) and also multimedia buttons, which appear on keyboards and mice and lcd screens, and the side of your laptop and gah.
Standard practice dictates that the MINIMUM spec is catered for without loss of performance. With that in mind, I would state that support for two buttons would be the norm, with optional bahaviours for other buttons.

Since the general standard at the moment is 3 button + scroll wheel, that owuld be the sensible option to code for, but anything above and beyond that is luxury, and should be relegated to way down on the priority list as no more than 10% of the non-nerdy population would have more than 3B+wheel.
Ponder
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ponder »

I have a 5 button mouse on my Linux machine (plus wheel) but only 3 are catered for.

On the Windows machine I have a 3 button wheel mouse BUT the wheel rocks side to side for horizontal scrolling so is really also a 5 button mouse.

Then again, as I have both Linux and Windows machines side by side I could easily be considered a geek ;)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Mmph. I really need to get back to my input manager. After I do the texture & mesh updates. And sound with variants and loops (two implementations, of course…). And a lead indicator for the FancyTargetter. And pixel shaders…
Ponder
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ponder »

Quite a list there! :-)
Frantic
Competent
Competent

Post by Frantic »

Selezen wrote:
Standard practice dictates that the MINIMUM spec is catered for without loss of performance. With that in mind, I would state that support for two buttons would be the norm, with optional bahaviours for other buttons.

Since the general standard at the moment is 3 button + scroll wheel, that owuld be the sensible option to code for, but anything above and beyond that is luxury, and should be relegated to way down on the priority list as no more than 10% of the non-nerdy population would have more than 3B+wheel.
Luddite.