Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Proposed - Massive Ship for Hitching

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Proposed - Massive Ship for Hitching

Post by Rese249er »

The player-control issue isn't one, in my opinion. The St. J. would could have independence from player control, following one or all of the major spacelanes in a given galaxy. In the original concept, that's what I had in mind.

If one were to start incorporating the crew concepts, then I could potentially see it as somewhat player-controlled. Not flying, slag no. More like autopilot, followed by the player doing his real business when launched.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Fatleaf wrote:
Capt. Murphy wrote:
(including a long range intragalactic taxi service - completely illegal and mainly used by crime lords to get from Anarchy to Anarchy without being spotted by the Fuzz)
I doubt this is possible but would really open up an idea if it can be worked aroud:- Can you jump from interstellar space past the planet and emerge in interstellar space the other side of the planet? So maybe crossing the chart without entering a system and so completely hidden from prying eyes!!! An issue might be fuel but if the idea is sound then the details can be worked out.
Oh yea of little faith. That is exactly what the Thargoid Witchspace Drive does already - cross galactic jumps via interstellar space only. As said very easy to adapt the existing script for other purposes.

Rese249er wrote:
The player-control issue isn't one, in my opinion. The St. J. would could have independence from player control, following one or all of the major spacelanes in a given galaxy. In the original concept, that's what I had in mind..
Fair enough - the dual ownership has been a feature requested in the past hence my post. I quite like the idea of the best of both worlds, big slow cargo hauler and nifty little fighter in one package.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And the concept has other variants - like for example a task force sent to do battle with something/someone, or a general war/invasion type OXP.

But that is of course if the fundamental issue that Cim mentions elsewhere can be ironed out in OXP and/or trunk.
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Thanks to everybody for discussing all of this. I appreciate the feedback, advice, and contributions that sprang up around my original idea.
EDIT:
Thargoid wrote:
...other variants - like for example a task force sent to do battle with something/someone, or a general war/invasion type OXP.
With a mercenary fleet, the possibilities for such a task force are endless.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
Oh yea of little faith. That is exactly what the Thargoid Witchspace Drive does already - cross galactic jumps via interstellar space only. As said very easy to adapt the existing script for other purposes.
My faith is growing :D

Thanks for this. I have a wip that might be able to use this... :wink:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

[Derailment avoidance]

Perhaps the St. J. could also use something like that. After all, half as much refueling would help with the operation of a player-centric capship.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Thargoid wrote:
But that is of course if the fundamental issue that Cim mentions elsewhere can be ironed out in OXP and/or trunk.
cim's been ironing...... :) ........ https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 15#p174673
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Thank you cim!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Bump!

Could be an interesting extension for the liners.oxp (Smivs? ;)). and for other Carriers like the Orisis, Bulk Haulers and Behemoths.

My idea is that the player will be presented with a mission screen that presents the proposed 'route', and jump time for the Bigship so they could look it up and see if the destination planet is on their route. The jump time will be a time on the ships clock. So a player could decide to do some in system business and then come back to the liner just before it jumps.

The really big liners like the Emerald could also schedule an intergalactic jump sometimes. These ships are big enough to have a galactic hyper engine on board. But the player would need to rent a cabin on a ship + expenses so the costs for an intergalactic would be higher than buying a drive for yourself. However on shorter trips within the 7 ly range it would sometimes be cheaper to hitch with the ship.

On arrival in the destination screen you would have to pay for the trip.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Bump/(perhaps overly) Optimistic Statement:

I'm gonna take a crack at it. Expect HOPE to see a preliminary version of the Galcop Capital Class Patron Saint Jameson... Slag if I know when.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Rese249er wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:13 pm
Bump/(perhaps overly) Optimistic Statement:

I'm gonna take a crack at it. Expect HOPE to see a preliminary version of the Galcop Capital Class Patron Saint Jameson... Slag if I know when.
On a related tangent, I have now on three occasions been docked at an Emerald Class liner, when it took off and witchspaced, and when I launched from the liner, I was in a different system. No notice, no nothing.

Should there not have been some sort of notice that it's departure was imminent when I docked? And, at the every least one would expect a set of Tannoy announcements blaring throughout the liner as witching approached, so that the passengers & crew could prepare themselves.

If one uses 'c' or ILS one would expect to be informed on requesting docking permission. If one hits C and knocks oneself out, at the very least one would expect the information on coming to inside the entrails of the emerald.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?