Translations

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Translations

Post by marcusrg »

I wonder if Oolite translation is possible by OXP, or it would have to be a core modification. I know it would be a lot of work to translate the entire game to another language. I presume that if it was done by OXP, a lot of the already made ones would have to be translated also... Just asking, since some friends of mine who doesn't speak english would love this game here in Brazil (Greetings from Rio). Well, that is just a daydream. :D
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Translations

Post by Thargoid »

It's usually done by OXP - for example Italian or German - there may well be others too.

The game code is designed to be adjustable in many things (mainly the messages etc) including translation. To make a new one you can use the existing OXPs as guides and templates to apply your own language to the game.

You are correct though that it would not apply to OXPs themselves. That said there are a few around, for example my own Planetfall has a Russian version made by Catsam, Radcapricorn and Seventh - I must update its wiki data once it comes back up.
marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Post by marcusrg »

I see... Thanks, Thargoid for your answer. I'm taking a look at some oxps already, and made some small (very small) modifications, for changing the hud, for example... I am beggining to understand how the oxps work, and I have been visiting your oxp page also (they are really good). One day, if I understant oxp's well I may begin to translate to portuguese. :)

Greetins from Oresqu.
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

I'm trying to translate Oolite to Polish. It can be done, but requires much time and work, especially the generator of planet descriptions is hard to translate (especially to Polish :D). But I swear, if I will have some time, I will continue my work on it...
A4000 060/50, 16 MB RAM, A1200 E/BOX Tower, Apollo 1240/25 MHz 34 MB RAM, HDD 40 GB; LiteOn 52x32x52, A1200 E1230/40 18 MB RAM, CD-32+SX-1 10 MB RAM, A500, CDTV, A600, C-64, C-64+1541-II, C-64G, C-16
Still hunting in Edriuson (G3) for Deadly status...