Forum suggestions: Newbie area & Welcome message

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Forum suggestions: Newbie area & Welcome message

Post by SandJ »

a) Would it be worthwhile setting up a "Welcome" or "Newbie" area? Specifically for people to introduce themselves. And littered with some sticky threads:
- newbie OXPs;
- how not to die so much;
- best eye-candy;
- debugging.

b) I cannot remember - does this board send a "Welcome!" email with instructions and tips?
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
CapnSkweek
Competent
Competent

Re: Forum suggestions: Newbie area & Welcome message

Post by CapnSkweek »

I didn't get one. Once I got my account validated and my first post was approved, there's been very little guidance.

It might be a silly offer, but if somebody could compile a list of tips/techniques for the novice pilot, maybe a few screenshots, I can knock it into a PDF in short order. "SandJ's official guide to surviving the Galaxy Charts". Or, if you're not into putting your name on it directly "Oolite Bulletins Guide to a Long Healthy Career". I have been experimenting for several months on the finer points of page layout, I'd look forward to the job if nobody else is interested.

Another 'issue' I have as a semi-new pilot, the Wiki doesn't go into any noticeable detail about how to hunt. The nearest to guidance I have seen is that "It is assumed Bounty Hunters know what they are doing" On the "Dealing with Piracy" page. I'm not suggesting a full write-up down to the finest detail, but just a few tips on how to handle large bunches of pirates when the goal isn't to survive, but to ensure that they don't short of tossing a Q over the side and running like your undies are alight.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Quite a few forums I hang out on have an Introductions section where newbies can say hi.. The idea of combining it with a few stickies on various newbie-type subjects strikes me as a good one..

I vote Yes.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

CapnSkweek wrote:

Another 'issue' I have as a semi-new pilot, the Wiki doesn't go into any noticeable detail about how to hunt. The nearest to guidance I have seen is that "It is assumed Bounty Hunters know what they are doing" On the "Dealing with Piracy" page.
I'm not suggesting a full write-up down to the finest detail, but just a few tips on how to handle large bunches of pirates when the goal isn't to survive, but to ensure that they don't short of tossing a Q over the side and running like your undies are alight.
1. make sure you have fuel injectors / fuel scoops added
2. Have atleast 1/2 your tank filled BEFORE the fight, look up sunskimming or use 1 of the oxps that allow to add fuel tanks.

3. target the smaller/weaker ships first, they tend to need only a few hits to be killed.

4. If a ship flees, don't pursue it.

5. If shields/energy gets low, use the fuel injectors to run away.

6. If one or 2 enemies follow you, take them out. A rear laser helps a lot with this.

7. Once shields/energy / laser temp are back to full/normal head back.

8. repeat 3 to 7 repeat until all enemies are gone or have fled

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

CapnSkweek wrote:
It might be a silly offer, but if somebody could compile a list of tips/techniques for the novice pilot, maybe a few screenshots, I can knock it into a PDF in short order.
Well, there is the [wiki]Oolite Instruction Manual[/wiki] and everything it links to, especially the Pilot's Reference Manual for learning the controls, [wiki]Oolite Trading[/wiki] for the basics of market dynamics, and [wiki]Oolite Tactics[/wiki] for various aspects of gameplay, from the basic [wiki]Laser tactics[/wiki] and [wiki]Missile tactics[/wiki], to the finer points of Dealing with piracy and [wiki]Dealing with Thargoids[/wiki].

And of course we have the basics of that in an in-game form by the friendly dockmaster of Lave station, [wiki]Mr Gimlet[/wiki].

I think that's a pretty rounded pack for an introduction.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Commander McLane wrote:
Well, there is the [wiki]Oolite Instruction Manual[/wiki] and ... <snip> ... [wiki]Mr Gimlet[/wiki].

I think that's a pretty rounded pack for an introduction.
Indeed. Well done, Commander McLane. It looks like you've written the guts of the "Welcome!" email.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Lone_Wolf wrote:
CapnSkweek wrote:

Another 'issue' I have as a semi-new pilot, the Wiki doesn't go into any noticeable detail about how to hunt. The nearest to guidance I have seen is that "It is assumed Bounty Hunters know what they are doing" On the "Dealing with Piracy" page.
I'm not suggesting a full write-up down to the finest detail, but just a few tips on how to handle large bunches of pirates when the goal isn't to survive, but to ensure that they don't short of tossing a Q over the side and running like your undies are alight.
1. make sure you have fuel injectors / fuel scoops added
2. Have atleast 1/2 your tank filled BEFORE the fight, look up sunskimming or use 1 of the oxps that allow to add fuel tanks.

3. target the smaller/weaker ships first, they tend to need only a few hits to be killed.

4. If a ship flees, don't pursue it.

5. If shields/energy gets low, use the fuel injectors to run away.

6. If one or 2 enemies follow you, take them out. A rear laser helps a lot with this.

7. Once shields/energy / laser temp are back to full/normal head back.

8. repeat 3 to 7 repeat until all enemies are gone or have fled

Appendix: If you're hunting a special target from a seedy space bar, make use of your space compass while searching the space lanes. 'N' for station buoy toward the planet and 'W' for the witch point beacon as your searching away from the planet. (This is something I failed to do when I first started hunting special assignments, so I would have to frequently leave the system and come back if I didn't find the target right away).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Some tips for countering missile attacks in combat: -

1) Get yourself an ECM to destroy enemy missiles before they can hit you.

2) If being chased by a ECM hardened missile, (or if you don't have an ECM), and you don't have injectors increase speed to max, view the missile in your rear view and when it gets close quickly reduce speed and pull up/down to change direction by 90 degrees then increase to max speed. Once you get the hang of this missiles tend to overshoot. Do this 2 or 3 times and the missile exhausts its fuel and explodes.

3) Make sure you set your hyperspace target system before entering combat so that you have a chance to jump to safety in an emergency.

When involved in a dogfight and an enemy ship is approaching you head on activate your ECM just before he flies by. I died many times when I was starting out as a common tactic used by the npc ships is to hit you a few times as they approach thus weakening your forward shields than launch a missile as they pass giving you no time to react - resulting in you seeing the remains of your ship and cargo floating in space and you starting again.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Shipbuilder wrote:
Make sure you set your hyperspace target system before entering combat so that you have a chance to jump to safety in an emergency.
Not necessarily to safety - some bandits may follow you through your wormhole, occasionly lots of them.
It is always a good idea to have a jump laid-in though! The missile evasion tactics are sound, as well!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Shipbuilder wrote:
2) If being chased by a ECM hardened missile, (or if you don't have an ECM), and you don't have injectors increase speed to max, view the missile in your rear view and when it gets close quickly reduce speed and pull up/down to change direction by 90 degrees then increase to max speed. Once you get the hang of this missiles tend to overshoot. Do this 2 or 3 times and the missile exhausts its fuel and explodes.
2a) continue to hit the ECM-key. ECM hardened missiles are, as their name suggests, ECM hardened, not ECM proof. Your second or third ECM burst may get them. This shouldn't prevent you from prophylactically running away, though. :wink:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

And try shooting them...it's very possible. :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Smivs wrote:
And try shooting them...it's very possible. :D
Indeed. Practice on ordinary missiles that have been launched by a distant fleeing/destroyed ship. If it gets close and you still haven't got it, you can just ECM it.
Agis Silverfish
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Agis Silverfish »

SandJ wrote:
a) Would it be worthwhile setting up a "Welcome" or "Newbie" area?

Yes! :mrgreen:
Styggron
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Styggron »

Hello all,

No I didn't find a welcome area on here so I thought I'd post here.

I just wanted to say I think the Oolite development team are absolutely amazing as are all the wonderfully talented people that are contributing to expanding Oolite via OXP's and other add ones. They are just amazing. This means Oolite can be just about anything we want it to be. I like playing with the standard cockpit because it is just like Elite and this is what got me here in the first place. This is the closest experience to Elite there is without playing Elite itself.

The fantastic graphic upgrades, compatibility across OS' it is all wonderfully positive. Loading OXP's and even writing them is achievable. I really need to have a go at writing one myself.

So sorry this post is a little bit fanboyish but it is said with the utmost sincerity. What would I change ? Nothing at all, keep going the way it has been keep developing OXP's....and I am sooooooooo glad energy bombs stayed as they were after all in the original ;-)

You are all fantastically brilliant !
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Styggron, and Welcome to the friendliest Board this side of Riedquat. (I think the 'Welcome Area' is wherever people choose to 'first post', and it seems to work OK. :D )
The game...yes, it's a bit good isn't it.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.