Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

Post by Disembodied »

Gimi wrote:
We disagree on this. Making it metallic shiny, yes. Red, blue, heavy contrast colours, nope, not for me. Hopefully the markings will make up for some of the dullness.
How about white, then? It's a good base spaceship colour, it's bright, it worked wonders for the Imperial Star Destroyers (and indeed the rebel ships, too) in Star Wars ... anything but grey!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I'm inclined to enquire why you ain't in a fire-engine red mech in your avatar, D?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Disembodied wrote:
Gimi wrote:
We disagree on this. Making it metallic shiny, yes. Red, blue, heavy contrast colours, nope, not for me. Hopefully the markings will make up for some of the dullness.
How about white, then? It's a good base spaceship colour, it's bright, it worked wonders for the Imperial Star Destroyers (and indeed the rebel ships, too) in Star Wars ... anything but grey!
I'm game for trying out white. Not sure how that will look with shadows and shaders though. Would require some testing me thinks.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Re the colours, I did spend some time last night on the 'destroyer'. One thing I did was to accent the 'plates' to give an impression that the ship had been through several repair cycles with older plating looking darker and more dull than new plating. This is still basically just grey, but does nonetheless approach the 'Titanium' colours we have been discussing.
This is still very much a WIP, but when finished with decals etc and a few more coloured highlights, is this heading in the right direction?

Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

El Viejo wrote:
I'm inclined to enquire why you ain't in a fire-engine red mech in your avatar, D?
Because I'd clash with the curtains. My ship, on the other hand ...

Cody

Post by Cody »

Disembodied wrote:
Because I'd clash with the curtains. My ship, on the other hand
<howls> I'd enjoy taking that Wolf Mk II SE (is that the right ship?) apart, red plate by red plate.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Smivs wrote:
Re the colours, I did spend some time last night on the 'destroyer'. One thing I did was to accent the 'plates' to give an impression that the ship had been through several repair cycles with older plating looking darker and more dull than new plating. This is still basically just grey, but does nonetheless approach the 'Titanium' colours we have been discussing.
This is still very much a WIP, but when finished with decals etc and a few more coloured highlights, is this heading in the right direction?
To me this is the right direction, but I would like to see it in a much lighter version just for comparison.
One thing. Don't start working on markings and insignia. I still have ideas twirling in that small brain of mine.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

El Viejo wrote:
<howls> I'd enjoy taking that Wolf Mk II SE (is that the right ship?) apart, red plate by red plate.
Many have tried, and where are they now? :twisted: And you're right, it is indeed a Wolf II SE.
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Smivs wrote:
Shamelessly stealing my chopped cobra :P

(Just to be clear I have no objection to you stealing it :lol: )
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Staer9 wrote:
Shamelessly stealing my chopped cobra :P
(Just to be clear I have no objection to you stealing it :lol: )
He was not stealing, he was recruiting. :twisted:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Gimi wrote:
To me this is the right direction, but I would like to see it in a much lighter version just for comparison.
My original screenie of it here is in a light grey.
You'll notice I was also 'up front' about (ahem) 'recruiting' Staer 9's chopped Cobra there as well. Thanks S9 :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Smivs wrote:
Gimi wrote:
My original screenie of it here is in a light grey.
If and when you find the time, could you look at making a version that is almost white. I want to see where Disembodied wants us to go. Both Japan and Russia used White as an Imperial colour, so worth a try.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I like Disembodied's white ships idea.. the markings and insignia would help to tone down the overall 'brightness' somewhat, as well as adding colour. (preferably nice bright ones) The Ooniverse is full of muted shades already.. something that stands out would be a nice contrast.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Gimi wrote:
If and when you find the time, could you look at making a version that is almost white. I want to see where Disembodied wants us to go. Both Japan and Russia used White as an Imperial colour, so worth a try.
Some examples of pale/white ships here:

http://www.bisbos.com/rocketscience/tta/barracuda.html

http://www.bisbos.com/rocketscience/tta/cutlass.html

http://www.bisbos.com/rocketscience/tta/iqueen.html

... and of course the Star Wars ones, although I'd prefer to see more use of highlight colour, e.g.

http://www.sci-fi-o-rama.com/wp-content ... s_slan.jpg

and

http://www.sci-fi-o-rama.com/wp-content ... nbeast.jpg

for example. Big, brave and bold, our last defence against the teeming green hordes!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Gimi wrote:
I meant clean. (I consider the fact that you can dock with slaves, narcotics and arms without receiving a bounty on your head a bug.)
My thought was that, essentially it is illegal to trade in Narcotics or Arms. I know you won't get a bounty on docking (without an oxp), but still.
Well, there you are. In your Ooniverse, your rules apply. However, the OXP should essentially work in other people's Ooniverses as well. And your personal rules are in this point contrary to the general Oolite rules, which deem the selling of narcotics and firearms (and slaves) not illegal.

Anyway, this is just a reminder that this general Oolite behaviour should be considered when designing the OXP.