Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Advanced Searching

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Advanced Searching

Post by Eric Walch »

I rarely use the advanced searching options on my mac. And it was only till today I noticed some Oolite stuff was added to it. Actually I knew it was, but never knew were to look for those options. Assuming others are as ignorant as I was, here are some tips.

- Start a search window by pressing ⌘f in the finder.
- Now select the small pul-down menu labeled 'kind' and select other...

Doing that, browse trough all the possible options to the 'oolite' part. Check the boxes you like to add in your searches.

The checked boxed now will be part of your default options as shown in the first picture.
- select the kind of search you want. e.g. a ship name or ship role.
- when you add your oxps in the library folder, you must also press the + symbol on the right and add a search category of system files and select to include them, so the library content is also included in searches.
- Do a search on content, not on filename. (but that should be obvious)

And voila:

That will give you all the oxps or saved games were you were looking for. :P

(Examples were made wilt OSX 10.6)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Advanced Searching

Post by JensAyton »

While using specific search attributes can help you narrow down a search, OXPs and saved games will also show up in a generic content search for, say, “trader”. (The bit about setting “System files” to “are included” to find OXPs in ~/Library still applies.)