MandoTech Industries, Inc.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: MandoTech Industries, Inc.

Post by Commander McLane »

JD wrote:
Hi Mandoman. I'd always considered the blimp to be a bit out of place in a space-faring game,
Well, obviously it isn't a blimp, but a space ship that just happens to look like a blimp. :wink:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Commander McLane wrote:
JD wrote:
Hi Mandoman. I'd always considered the blimp to be a bit out of place in a space-faring game,
Well, obviously it isn't a blimp, but a space ship that just happens to look like a blimp. :wink:
...and is actually a very good shape for a transporter. Being near-spherical it will have a large volume/surface-area ratio.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Interesting. I really made the thing for kicks. It's like a ship I had built that looked like a space faring tomato, I called Splatomator. It's just eye stuff, like the Santa Claus, but my version of siliness. I gave it lasers and a missile launcher so it could fight back, and if you look close at the pic, you will see a huge cargo door on both of the sides. I never really meant to release it.
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

mandoman wrote:
Well, I got one of the lost ships done. Okay, so it was the easiest one, but it was also one that SandJ seemed to like......I think. :D

I also like this one, release it please. :D

It doesn't matter what role you give it or how you set it up, just so it's out there and on other peoples' hard drives.

My future use for this would be as an aerial beacon over a planet marking either the location of a base or a waypoint for a race course. Planetary gas mining also comes to mind. :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

mandoman wrote:
Well, I got one of the lost ships done. Okay, so it was the easiest one, but it was also one that SandJ seemed to like......I think. :D
I thought the Poodle Blimp, in pink, with real opening sun-roof, would be ideal for futuristic Paris Hiltons, football players and rock stars.

BUT I see this new version is gold-plated. WOW!

"Oh, dahling, I'll just die if you don't buy me a gold-plated TartBlimp. Today. I need one."

And anyway, the Elite universe is like the old Wild West, and that had saloons with good time girls. That means pimps and pimps mean pimped-up-transport, an Oolite equivalent of:

Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

closed
Last edited by mandoman on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

There's already a [EliteWiki] Maelstrom...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

If you don't own the rights to the Goodyear logo (which I don't suppose) I'd suggest you take one of the YAH ads instead. Or ask someone to create a fake logo for you. Or do it yourself. Although it seems pretty reasonable to assume that somebody already made a Goodyear parody for YAH. 8)
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Thargoid wrote:
...fe-Maelstrom? :P
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Thargoid wrote:
Then I'll rename mine. No biggy.

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Commander McLane wrote:
If you don't own the rights to the Goodyear logo (which I don't suppose) I'd suggest you take one of the YAH ads instead. Or ask someone to create a fake logo for you. Or do it yourself. Although it seems pretty reasonable to assume that somebody already made a Goodyear parody for YAH. 8)
You seem to be under the misconecption that I ever intended to release that stupid balloon. I built it for kicks. If someone REALLLY wants the oxp, I'll dump the logo before I hand it over. I doubt that Goodyear has any kind of legal claim over what I have on my computer, and the pictures are just pictures.

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Mandotech Industries is now closed.

SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

mandoman wrote:
You seem to be under the misconception that I ever intended to release that stupid balloon. I built it for kicks. If someone REALLLY wants the oxp
Mandoman, if I have given you the impression I am taking the mickey, I am sorry.

I can visualise the use of massive advertising blimps in low-orbit; it must be incredibly cost-effective.

Also, in the Oolite universe, there will be people with far more money than sense who will invest in loud, outlandish vessels just to show how rich they are, hence my Paris Hilton and football player references. Within the secure systems, I can in all honesty visualise people who want vessels that aren't sleek red Ferraris but loud brash vehicles yelling "LOOK AT ME!!!". The blimp is great for that - especially with that immense cargo area: is it for shopping? Or an indoor pool and theatre? Or just a huge bar?

Ditto the pimp reference. I was serious about the Wild West and bars with hookers reference: I got that from either the original Elite or the Frontier documentation (probably Frontier, actually). There ARE going to be "houses of ill-repute" within these systems, and low-life cads managing them. They will need pimped-up rides to travel around in, and I don't think a fur-lined Fer-de-Lance will be loud enough.

Why should the Oolite universe be full of just traders and pirates? Boooooring! That's why there are Wasps and Star-Jellies (FFS!) and huge snake-monsters and a witch (WTF?) and even a Santa Claus!

If I offended you, I did not intend to. I was trying to be funny but I'm an IT guy and my inter-personal skills are low. I genuinely think the blimb-ship is original, amusing and plausible. Please release it.

And please keep producing new ships.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

mandoman wrote:
You seem to be under the misconecption that I ever intended to release that stupid balloon. I built it for kicks. If someone REALLLY wants the oxp, I'll dump the logo before I hand it over.
I'm sorry to hear that.

And you're right, I'm under the (not at all unusual) conception that everything announced and posted here in the Expansion Pack forum refers to something that is (or was; or will be at some point) released as an Expansion Pack. I'd say that's a reasonable expectation.

Now, if you only want to show some things you did for yourself and don't want them to become public, you can of course do that in a thread here on the boards. I'd say the thread should then be named to make clear that it's only 'concept studies' or something like that, and that you don't intend to actually release any of it. So far so good. But you did some more. You explicitly requested that your stuff be put up on the Wiki. Isn't that the same as releasing it? I mean, why should any expansion be introduced on the Wiki that isn't available for the Wiki users?

So it seems you should get some clarity about your intentions. If you don't intend to release your ships, then they have no place on the Wiki and whatever hints to them already exist should be removed from the Wiki. If you, on the other hand, want to announce OXPs here and on the Wiki, you have to release them. You can't have it both ways.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Commander McLane wrote:
If you, on the other hand, want to announce OXPs here and on the Wiki, you have to release them. You can't have it both ways.
At least you should intend to release them. There are quite some that have been sitting in the WIP section of the [wiki]OXP List[/wiki] for quite some time without a release... ;-) But hey, no pressure. Your ships, your release date. And I understood this thread as the equivalent of those car shows where manufacturers show concepts that normally do not make it into production. That's also why I stopped adding all of them to the WIP section. Just keep on showing what you're doing, and whenever some concept ship makes it into production I'll be happy to put it on the list for you. Or you do it, now that you have an account.