Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Progress

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Progress

Post by Gimi »

I fully support the removal of the Energy Bomb. What I would like to see though, is a single Q-mine replacement, that is mounted internally, and activated with the tab-key.
It would carry on the spirit of Oolite, with a more balanced weapon.
Not very important, but I think it would be a good way to replace the Energy Bomb. (Maybe I should submit this to Berlios as a feature request.)
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Kaks wrote:
1.76.x is the last version in which the energy bomb is enabled & supported within Oolite.
…except in strict mode.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

m4r35n357 wrote:
Yes, I remember the debate, ISTR it concerned the proposed Oolite 2 branch.
The decision was announced, after protracted discussion, more than a year before 2.0 was. The phrase “oolite 2” was used in the discussion, but at the time that was a label that had been used informally for future plans, rather than a concrete project.

In any case, the cancellation of 2.0 means a division of future plans into 1.x features and 2.0 features is moot. Any feature changes to Oolite 1.x in future will be something that would otherwise have been a 2.0 feature.
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Ahruman wrote:
[*] Template generation. There’s a [EliteWiki] hidden setting to write the generated shaders to the log folder, so you can use the material model as a base for custom shaders.[/list]
I'm sorry - I cannot find which hidden setting you're referring to on that page.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

submersible wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
[*] Template generation. There’s a [EliteWiki] hidden setting to write the generated shaders to the log folder, so you can use the material model as a base for custom shaders.[/list]
I'm sorry - I cannot find which hidden setting you're referring to on that page.
Just search a bit harder. It was not at that page, but mentioned two messages later than the one you quoted. :wink: I added it now to the wiki page.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

wow, really excited to read about the shadery planet news! Might have to do my backflip after all (https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... lip#p59917) - blimey, that's from 2008!
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Kaks wrote:
In the meantime... err, I mean a couple of months later:

New planets are live-ish! I don't think there are many major problems left with the new planets code - (well, there's an annoying memleak which I left in for the moment to avoid a more annoying CTD) but we're getting there. I've enabled them in the trunk builds, so you can have a quick look if you want to.

Next steps: trying to improve on the speed of the planet generation code, getting a materials dictionary inside planetinfo.plist to work properly (based on submersible's work of course), and getting Oolite to create a light map based on tech level / economy type.

Still, I just wanted to say there's a few fairly pretty OoPlanets out there, if I may say so myself! :P
Please feel free to post in the screenshots thread if there's any that take your fancy:D
Are they supposed to be looking like this?

[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Capt. Murphy wrote:

Perhaps if you're using a very high ambient_light level?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Capt. Murphy wrote:

When you are referring to the strong contrast, I think it is a personal taste how they should look. When you look at our own moon, you'll notice that above picture comes closer to real dark/light contrast that the old Oolite situation. Although, for playing a less stronger contrast might be more appreciated by players.

The thing that currently is still wrong is the difference in dark/light transition between poles and equator.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
Capt. Murphy wrote:

When you are referring to the strong contrast, I think it is a personal taste how they should look. When you look at our own moon, you'll notice that above picture comes closer to real dark/light contrast that the old Oolite situation. Although, for playing a less stronger contrast might be more appreciated by players.
I would be one of them. :wink:

However, for me it's not so much the contrast as such, but the sharp edge between the sunlit and the dark half that doesn't please the eye and looks unreal. There should be an area of transition, a more gentle dawn or dusk on the planet.
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Capt. Murphy wrote:

Probably not quite . Was that a recent build ? I did see that effect from time to time up until a few days ago. What I am seeing is more like
FYI - looking at the planet fragment shader, there are two modes for the compression of the light falloff. One called 'HARSH_MISTRESS' which is reserved for moons I think. The other mode for planets tries to skew the light colour closer to the terminator.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

And my question is: Capt Murphy, how did you get a main planet without atmosphere? :)

Edit: and are shaders on at all? :P
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Commander McLane wrote:
However, for me it's not so much the contrast as such, but the sharp edge between the sunlit and the dark half that doesn't please the eye and looks unreal. There should be an area of transition, a more gentle dawn or dusk on the planet.
Well, we're still working towards something a bit more like the following image:

http://www.astrobio.net/articles/images ... bymoon.jpg

There are going to be a few more universal settings once we're done with new_planets, and both planetary shadow darkness & edge settings should be in place before 1.77! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Kaks wrote:
Well, we're still working towards something a bit more like the following image:
http://www.astrobio.net/articles/images ... bymoon.jpg
There are going to be a few more universal settings once we're done with new_planets, and both planetary shadow darkness & edge settings should be in place before 1.77! ;)
So for planets with huge cities, we might be able to see the city lights on the night side with appropriate textures. Please? :D
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

By the way, have you guys played with the PERLIN_3D macro? That mode was intended to be the “real” new planets; as far as I remember it was turned off because I was researching faster 3D noise functions. (3D noise doesn’t have distortion problems towards the poles, and it can be mapped onto cube maps more usefully than the current approach.)