Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

NPCs using Q-bomb?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

jonnycuba wrote:
I think the idea of the NPC's not having them does seem to deviate from the premise of fair play... Between us and our distant AI cousins
They have multilasers we don't instead.

But Q-bombs should be allowed for them!
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

Couldn't the Q-bomb and the E-bomb switch prices? Now I only bother to buy the E-bomb because it's cheaper and it's more effective. If it was the other way round I think I'd use the Q-bomb when I'm lazy and save the E-bomb for real emergencies (like that pack of wolfes I ran into earlier today).
Odo987
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Odo987 »

Lucidor wrote:
Couldn't the Q-bomb and the E-bomb switch prices? Now I only bother to buy the E-bomb because it's cheaper and it's more effective. If it was the other way round I think I'd use the Q-bomb when I'm lazy and save the E-bomb for real emergencies (like that pack of wolfes I ran into earlier today).
Agreed completely. The Q bomb is slower, more dangerous, and too much fun to be out of reach. The E-bomb is instantaneous, has no defence and should be mostly out of reach. Swapping the prices would make a huge amount of sense.
Attacking a Navigational Beacon is illegal. Police are on their way.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Odo987 wrote:
Lucidor wrote:
Agreed completely. The Q bomb is slower, more dangerous, and too much fun to be out of reach. The E-bomb is instantaneous, has no defence and should be mostly out of reach. Swapping the prices would make a huge amount of sense.
Well-equipped ship may survive E-bomb, but not Q-bomb. So Q-bomb is more powerful.
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

Oh.. but I still maintain that the E-bomb is more powerful. The power to blow up just about any ship instantaneously is more important than the power to die while cycling through missiles. :^) And even if you do manage to release the Q-bomb, the enemies still have a chance to outrun it with their injectors.
the alberts
Competent
Competent

Post by the alberts »

Lucidor wrote:
I totally agree with this as well!

The Q mine is much much more fun to use, but ultimately less effective (it is avoidable after all) and takes a while to get going. The E bomb should be an expensive last-ditch attempt to survive an attack.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

the alberts wrote:
Lucidor wrote:
I totally agree with this as well!

The Q mine is much much more fun to use, but ultimately less effective (it is avoidable after all) and takes a while to get going. The E bomb should be an expensive last-ditch attempt to survive an attack.
Haven't seen enemies smart enough to survive Q-bomb. Not used it much though.
the alberts
Competent
Competent

Post by the alberts »

ArkanoiD wrote:
Perhaps that's something that could be addressed in the AI of non-player ships? Most break off attack when a missile is fired at them (and they have no ECM) why not the same when alerted to the presence of a Q mine?

Besides, this thread (hey I just checked - and it was your idea! :) ) is about the non-player ships using Q mines. It would certainly make interesting situations!
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

the alberts wrote:
ArkanoiD wrote:
Perhaps that's something that could be addressed in the AI of non-player ships? Most break off attack when a missile is fired at them (and they have no ECM) why not the same when alerted to the presence of a Q mine?

Besides, this thread (hey I just checked - and it was your idea! :) ) is about the non-player ships using Q mines. It would certainly make interesting situations!
Sure if they use it they should be aware how it works ;-)
the alberts
Competent
Competent

Post by the alberts »

ArkanoiD wrote:
Sure if they use it they should be aware how it works ;-)
"hey what does this big red button do?" :roll:
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

That's the passenger ejector seat...DON'T TOUCH IT (unless you're taking the mother in law for a pleasant day out :twisted: )
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Odo987
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Odo987 »

TGHC wrote:
That's the passenger ejector seat...DON'T TOUCH IT (unless you're taking the mother in law for a pleasant day out :twisted: )
... 1 ton Slaves?
Attacking a Navigational Beacon is illegal. Police are on their way.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Okay. So now if you set an npc ship to carry an energy bomb (has_energy_bomb set to a non-zero number) there's a small chance it may launch a q-bomb when attacked (r391).

You asked for it! :twisted:
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

excellent! 8)
The man next to you is your lunch
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Yowch!.....how will we know if it's a missile or a Q bomb, otherwise we will have to run every time a we see "incoming missile" will it have a different colour on the scanner?
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"